Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/15/2017 1:30:10 AM EDT
I am getting a new S&W M&P-15 Sport II that I plan to use as a dedicated home defense gun. I plan to do nothing to the gun except add a Trijicon PRO and add a weapons light.

I am not sure the best course of action for adding a good light to the gun. I do not want lasers, foregrips, bipods, none of that crap. All I want is a flashlight to positively identify anything I aim the gun at in all lighting conditions.

So what's the best way? I would like something very solid and durable. I plan to use a Surefire or Elzetta 1" light.

I know there is probably 1,000,001 ways to do this but I have to ask if you were going to set up a new AR with a light ONLY (no other accesories on the front) what is the best method to do this?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 1:44:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 3:06:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Are you asking about a mount for a gun with Glacier Guards, and no quad rail or mlok/Keymod rail? Or just where to mount the light on a rail?

EDIT: If it doesn't have any rails or ability to attach them then I would replace the handguard with a Keymod or mlok, and then add a little rail for the light. Maybe Magpul would be the cheapest handguard like in the post below and I think they can add rails. You can do those makeshift FSP light mounts, but I don't like non standard stuff like that. I've done it before and it just winds up in the never used parts bin as soon as you get a proper hand guard, which you should, and will...
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 3:14:22 AM EDT
[#3]
I would just buy a set of magpul sl hanguards for less then 30 dollars to replace the shitty ones that lack heat shields on the sport and then use any mlock mount, from cheap plastic magpul to something higher endAttachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 4:49:55 AM EDT
[#4]
I like the idea of using Magpul hand guards.

I'd add a rail section and a Streamlight TLR1-HPL.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 8:58:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I am getting a new S&W M&P-15 Sport II that I plan to use as a dedicated home defense gun. I plan to do nothing to the gun except add a Trijicon PRO and add a weapons light.

I am not sure the best course of action for adding a good light to the gun. I do not want lasers, foregrips, bipods, none of that crap. All I want is a flashlight to positively identify anything I aim the gun at in all lighting conditions.

So what's the best way? I would like something very solid and durable. I plan to use a Surefire or Elzetta 1" light.

I know there is probably 1,000,001 ways to do this but I have to ask if you were going to set up a new AR with a light ONLY (no other accesories on the front) what is the best method to do this?

Thanks!
View Quote

You still want a sling. A rifle without a sling is like a handgun without a holster.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 5:59:45 PM EDT
[#6]
If it's going to be used for home defense, I don't really buy the idea that the rifle needs a sling. I live alone so I won't need to sling it and fetch a loved one or anything. For my purposes, I see the sling as a liability that could get caught up on something or something convenient for an intruder to grab to disarm me. I don't have a sling on my Remington 870 Police for this reason, but am wanting to move to the AR platform as I know it is undeniably more effective. I might add a sling later on to use outside but for now will leave it off.

So a Magpul handguard would be good? If so, what is the best light mount for Magpul handguard? I want the light to be easy to access but not so easy as to cause NDs of the light.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 9:14:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If it's going to be used for home defense, I don't really buy the idea that the rifle needs a sling. I live alone so I won't need to sling it and fetch a loved one or anything. For my purposes, I see the sling as a liability that could get caught up on something or something convenient for an intruder to grab to disarm me. I don't have a sling on my Remington 870 Police for this reason, but am wanting to move to the AR platform as I know it is undeniably more effective. I might add a sling later on to use outside but for now will leave it off.

So a Magpul handguard would be good? If so, what is the best light mount for Magpul handguard? I want the light to be easy to access but not so easy as to cause NDs of the light.
View Quote
You can imagine in your head whatever you like, but I can tell you as a law enforcement Defensive Tactics and Firearms Instructor that a sling is what makes a rifle disarm impossible and requires beating the shooter senseless and cutting the sling to perform a disarm. A lack of sling makes a rifle disarm quite simple. And a sling does not ever get "caught up" in or on anything. Slings are needed anytime you need to climb up over or through anything, use both your hands, render medical aid, fight with your hands, etc. As stated, it's like a handgun with no holster.

As for the light, you want one that presents the light as far cantilevered forward as possible and offset high, especially with that short handguard length and excess barrel length forward.

https://www.magpul.com/products/m-lok-cantilever-rail-light-mount-polymer

https://www.magpul.com/products/rail-light-mount-left-or-right

https://www.magpul.com/products/moe-scout-mount-left-or-right

Those are some good MLOK, Picatinny, and MOE options. A 1" ring mount is good. A Scout mount is better. Not just Surefire has Scout models, Streamlight, Arisaka, etc. also have good Scout mount options. I have rifles with all three companies lights and have moved exclusively to scout mounted lights. I found 1" lights shifted in the ring eventually, weighed more, and had fewer mounting options to get the light high and tight where I like it, near 11 O'clock.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 9:41:11 AM EDT
[#8]
View Quote
This was my old setup of choice on a budget, save the light, which I also own but carry daily at work on my belt. It has no real throw, despite the lumens, is not set up to handle weapon recoil, and will be prone to shifting if struck hard fore/aft. Great light for general use though.

Eventually decided getting a hard blow to my light transfered to the front sight was less than ideal and wanted to tweak the light position with a lighter option. Had issues with the pic to FSB vibrating loose too, but by far the best option to mount a light in a good spot for the absoloute least money.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 12:27:53 PM EDT
[#9]
First off a shotgun is a better HD rig vs a rifle or hand gun. When using a stock handguard I'd recommend using a front sight tower mount with a TLR-1 or a Surefire X300.
https://www.botach.com/kley-zion-ar15-m4-sight-tower-combo-mount/
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 5:23:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
First off a shotgun is a better HD rig vs a rifle or hand gun. When using a stock handguard I'd recommend using a front sight tower mount with a TLR-1 or a Surefire X300.
https://www.botach.com/kley-zion-ar15-m4-sight-tower-combo-mount/
View Quote
You got any proof a shotgun is better? That's really subjective IMO; 2 things: 1) Mission dictates gear 2) Different strokes for different folks. All 3 platforms will work, but it vastly depends on where you live, if you have to worry about over penetration like rounds going into your kids rooms down the hall or the neighbors house, what you are comfortable with, is it easier to navigate your home with a pistol vs. long gun, etc. Then you need to think about ammo selection. Just things to think about. I run a shotgun for my HD rig but it does have its shortcomings.

If you want a bare bones basic but reliable set up, pick up an IWC light mount-n-slot mount and a surefire G2X tactical (single output, 320 lumens). All in you should be in only $100 + shipping

Link to flashlight/mount combo from IWC: TMC 1" Light MOUNT-N-SLOT w/ G2X Tactical by Surefire

When you mount it degrease the screws and stuff with something like rubbing alcohol, use blue Loctite, and set it and forget it. Super reliable set up on a budget (I have many different set ups from high end surefire scout lights to simple G2X set ups, for the $ its great)

Example:

Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:35:21 PM EDT
[#11]
What about just using those rail sections that sandwich the A2 FSB and using an inline light mount? Such as THIS:

https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/MI-Tactical-Light-Mount-p/mctar-01g2.htm

I was going to do just that... until my I realized my cheapo version (probably Chines junk) rails (the kind that sandwich the A2 FSB) are not mil spec (they are slightly thinner than mil spec, which makes mounts wobble on it). But none the less, the concept is sound and I'll be buying real ones (MI of GG&G) of that same style. That places the light exactly where a scout mount would (but is more solidly mounted, via the FSB, rather than to a poly handguard). My only concern would be heat. I'd imagine, with the set up I'm trying, that you'd probably cook a light if you shoot a lot quickly (I'm sure the FSB heat would transfer to the light, which generates enough heat of it's own).
I was going to try it with an Olight PL2, that I just received, but the output is ridiculous with that light and I can't use it for my needs (WAY too bright. Turn it off and you're temp blind until your eyes adjust again). I'm going to try it (again) with a G2x Pro (much more reasonable output) or WML II.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top