Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/30/2015 5:48:49 PM EDT
When I bought a pistol from my Mom that was my step Dad's before he passed, it had this little laser on it.  I assumed it was some cheap piece of junk.  I looked up how much it was and now I think it was an expensive piece of junk.  My Step Dad always was a gadgety kind of guy.  But can someone tell me if these things are any good?  I just emailed the company for the aiming adjustment tool, because I don't see it anywhere.  But I only see one adjustment and I wish you could adjust for windage AND elevation.  Or maybe you can.....

I have no clue....  Any info is welcomed.    

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:52:31 PM EDT
[#1]
The adjustment tool is a tiny Allen wrench.  I don't know the size, but it's the same size as the one included with the Surefire helmet light.  

IIRC, there should be a place for it under the battery cover, so you might be able to find it in there if you haven't looked yet.  

The other adjustment is on the side, "above" the attachment bracket screw.  

I use the IR version, and it's decent enough though it's certainly not the perfect piece of kit.  What it is is small, simple, and unobtrusive, and perhaps most importantly, cheap, compared to other IR lasers, and I haven't had a problem with zero loss.  

Just watch the switches as they're fairly easy to accidentally depress, and potentially to break (though I haven't done it myself).  Mounting a small pistol light "on top" of it does a good job of protecting it.  

The other big problem I suspect you'll have if mounting it on a pistol would be finding a holster to fit it, with or without a light.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:32:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I just searched through like 80 pages to find the pic of your MK18 because I suspected I saw something very similar on your rail.  

THANK YOU for the response.  I see the other adjustment now, over the bracket screw.  Yahooo!!!  I'm not sure I have an allen wrench that freaking small though.  Wow.  That's small.  Is it metric or English?  Actually I had some really dinky ones for my guitar.  Not sure if they're the right size or not.  

So that one on your MK18 IS a lasermax product.  I might have to wear mine with pride now.  I was going to mount it in the same exact spot on my recce.  I like it on the top rail because you can zero it like irons and have the bullet path intersect twice.  If it's on the side or underneath you lose that capability and it just gets kind of weird.  But then the main question is, do you feel naked with out BUIS.  I would think an optic and a laser is redundant enough, but everything can break.  Well, my optic is a scope so......  but I know you have an eotech on yours.  I suppose if the optic failed and the laser did too at the same time, you can just look through your window on the Eotech.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:48:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Like I said, check under the battery cover, there may be one in there.  

No clue what the actual size is.  

Mine is an IR laser, so it has no redundancy with the EOTech during daytime, but to answer your question, no, I do not feel at all naked without BUIS.  

There will be a lot of people who feel otherwise, but I just don't particularly care about BUIS.  

I have iron sighted guns for when I want to shoot irons, my only rifles with BUIS are either for clone purposes and/or because of a fixed FSB configuration.  

I'm not "against" BUIS in and that if someone wants to have them that I'd tell them not to use them - but personally I don't find them worth the cost to purchase or the ammunition and time to zero, and they can get in the way in various different ways, whether mounting scopes with proper eye-relief, NV optics, magnifiers, etc.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 1:25:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Holy crap thank you!!!  The tool is right where you said it was and it zero'd very easy.  Well, I have to go shoot it and confirm.  But I just zero'd it with the optic right now.  

Very cool.  Thank you for your help!!!!  I really appreciate it.   You're a gentleman and a scholar.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 3:05:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Be careful with storage.   Mine kept hitting stuff in my safe and turning on.  Eventually killed the batteries.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 4:59:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I hear that.  I could see how that would be easy to do on this one.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top