Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/10/2013 12:34:32 PM EDT
I have an opportunity to purchase a M61 SHO. I know that the M61 is a great drop in, but am not familiar with the SHO.

The drop in will go into a SF 6p mounted on one of my rifles. Can anyone comment on the SHO, especially when used for weapon mounted applications?
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 3:24:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have an opportunity to purchase a M61SHO. I know that the M61 is a great drop in, but am not familiar with the SHO.

The drop in will go into a SF 6p mounted on one of my rifles. Can anyone comment on the SHO, especially when used for weapon mounted applications?
View Quote

Both are great performers, with the M61SHO being driven harder as it is optimized for 3-4 batteries. Both utilize XP-G2 emitters. The output is similar between the two (325 vs. 385 OTF lumens), but your eyes will not tell.

I went with the M61 over the SHO.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:15:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Is it harder on a 2 battery light when running the SHO? Any issues with excess heat created?
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:27:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is it harder on a 2 battery light when running the SHO? Any issues with excess heat created?
View Quote

Yes in a sense that it draws more affecting the full output runtime. If you plan on using your flashlight for extended periods, your light will get warm regardless. Optimal heat dissipation requires a thermal path from the module to the flashlight body. Contrary to the name "drop in", P60 modules are supposed to fit tightly, malkoffs are no exception.

Wrapping the module with foil or copper tape are popular methods of fitting the module.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 12:08:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Yes in a sense that it draws more affecting the full output runtime. If you plan on using your flashlight for extended periods, your light will get warm regardless. Optimal heat dissipation requires a thermal path from the module to the flashlight body. Contrary to the name "drop in", P60 modules are supposed to fit tightly, malkoffs are no exception.

Wrapping the module with foil or copper tape are popular methods of fitting the module.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How much heat do those SHO's put out in comparison to the standard incan. bulbs that come in the Surefires? Assuming they have the same current draw (I don't know if they do or not), aren't the LED's more efficient and they'd put out less heat for the amount of power used? I've got a cheap Ebay $14 LED replacement in a Surefire, maybe a (200 lumen) equivalent, and it sure runs cool compared to the stock incandescent bulb.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 12:37:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

How much heat do those SHO's put out in comparison to the standard incan. bulbs that come in the Surefires? Assuming they have the same current draw (I don't know if they do or not), aren't the LED's more efficient and they'd put out less heat for the amount of power used? I've got a cheap Ebay $14 LED replacement in a Surefire, maybe a (200 lumen) equivalent, and it sure runs cool compared to the stock incandescent bulb.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Take into account that not all LEDs are created equal, depending on the emitter, driver etc. Incandescents work differently than LEDs as they work by getting hot, radiating heat.

The thermal threshold for LEDs are low in comparison to incans. This is why thermal management is important for any modern LED flashlight.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 9:07:44 AM EDT
[#6]
I tried a SHO in my 6P and it only worked for a few seconds. Then in dimmed and "went out of regulation" or whatever. I believe it need 3 cells or a rechargable and now it happily resides in my 9P, where it works great. In a 3 cell light, I believe it is superior to a regular M61.

BTW, did Malkoff increase the output of the M61? They now list 325 lumens while the ones I purchased a year ago show 265 I believe. Or did they just measure light output a "new" way???
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:30:39 PM EDT
[#7]
The SHO is rated to operate in the range of 5.5-12 volts.  A pair of CR123's will drop below the lower level after only a short time under load.  Like you said, it's designed for 3 cell lights.

The increase in M61 output is due to the use of the newer Cree XP-G2 emitter which is up to 20% more efficient than the previous XP-G.  The drive current may have also been increased a little bit but I can't remember for sure.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top