Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/10/2012 9:59:30 AM EDT
I want to put a weapon light on my AR15.  I don't know much about weapon lights.  I have a quad rail with a front handle grip on it.  I want to mount the light so it will be around the 3 o'clock position as I hold the carbine.  I want to be able to turn the light on with a monetary switch on the back of the light by using the thumb of my left hand, which will be on the handle grip.  Any ideas as to which lights I should look at?  I don't have an unlimited budget so money is an issue.  I need a light that'll work without breaking the bank.  It doesn't have to be the latest and greatest, it just has to work.  I'll take it off most of the time when I take my carbine to the range.

Thanks, NYH1.
Link Posted: 11/10/2012 10:24:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Used surefire scout, or something like a 6P, or G2 in a larue flashlight mount will accomplish what you desire.
Link Posted: 11/10/2012 12:18:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Since you have rail forearm the cheapest setup would probably be a Solarforce with LED drop-in and a PLS-1.  Lift the lever and it will slide right off the front.
Link Posted: 11/10/2012 12:39:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/10/2012 1:10:22 PM EDT
[#4]
How tight is your budget?  How important is versatility?  I would look for a used SureFire M951 or a Streamlight TLR-1.  The TLR-1 can also be mounted to a handgun with included rail adapters, has an LED bulb, and is both lightweight and bright; it does not have a pushbutton switch, but a paddle for momentary or constant on.  The SureFire M951s are a little older technology, use dimmer/more fragile P60 incandescent bulbs, and built in picatinny rail mount, but has a push button/switch combination at the rear of the light.

Based on the information you provided, I would seriously consider a TLR-1.
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 1:05:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I have two TLR-1 lights and they have been great.  If you can spend a little more (around $170) you should also check out the Surefire X300.
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 3:01:01 PM EDT
[#6]
TLR-1 is all you really need.  Unless you're shooting out doors at night at 100+ yards.

Link Posted: 11/11/2012 10:50:52 PM EDT
[#7]
What mount is that? ^
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 7:44:54 AM EDT
[#8]
VLTOR offset quick detach mount, and a Surefire G2 LED would fit your bill. It places the light switch just right for thumb activation. LaRue makes a good offset mount also, but it was set out a bit too far for my taste.

This is the LaRue mount.

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 8:18:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Fenix TK21.  I run mine in a VLTOR mount.  Lights up the whole hedgerow on high or just the room on low.  I love the adjustable brightness and it came with a belt holster, two rechargable batteries and charger.  It can also take C123s.  It has lasted thousands of rounds on my AK and AR.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 12:40:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Running O-light Warriors.  Several models to choose from and can run on 1 18650 or two cr123's (w or w/o adapter). Note, THEY ARE <1" so a shim is needed with some mounts - plastic, tape, soda can, etc.  I had to shim my Gear Sector but not two different IWC mounts.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 3:45:34 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

What mount is that? ^

CUSTOM DEFENSIVE PRODUCTS - AR-15/M16 BAYONET LUG ACCESSORY MOUNT

50 bucks from brownells, obviously make sure you have a bay lug.

I took my surefire off a couple weeks ago and have been playing around with a TLR-4 that I got on sale for my pistol as a bunch of people here have suggested (light laser combo, but same paddle activation and toggle) and I didnt like it at all. I found that trying to manipulate the light was way to difficult to do while still mainting a good grip on the carbine. The surefire style is nice because you are pressing on a large simple button that is along the axis of the weapon, you can afford to be sloppy with fine motor skill or a poor grip and still manipulate the light. The streamlight is way to difficult to apply a pound or so of pressure circumferential to the bore on a very light toggle and not accidentally lock the light on all the way.

If you find a surefire setup to bulky, I agree the size and weight of the TLR is a nice advantage, but if that's what your looking for I would listen to Travis and with one of his style setups.

also the explosion of light you get from any of the number of the big boy sized tubes with upgraded internals is such a pleasant surpirse after using the smaller streamlights for a while.

Link Posted: 11/13/2012 4:06:04 PM EDT
[#12]
The 6PX with a KZ mount would be under $90 and works well and is reliable (video below).  

If your budget is really tight I recommend the Streamlight Polytac: best budget light out there IMO..

Link Posted: 11/14/2012 6:31:57 AM EDT
[#13]
OK, it took a minute but here are the VLTOR mount pics with the Surefire G2 LED. Sorry, my camera got stolen, so cellphone is all I got for a while.

Link Posted: 11/14/2012 6:39:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Been using the cheap 25 dollar Viking Tatics mount since 2005

I also recommend a surefire handheld from the G2 on up to the Fury !

Link Posted: 11/14/2012 9:07:52 AM EDT
[#15]
The TLR1 with the remote switch is a good set up for the money and since it can be put on a glock, 1913 rail and a couple other mounts out there it's pretty flexible. I have a TLR1 on my pistol and I'm very happy with it
I have an old Surefire on a offset mount so it sits at 11 o'clock on my AR and it's served me well,  I would prefer to upgrade to a LED bulb at some point but it's not high on my to do list.
A G2 or other flash light on a mount is a good set up if your on a budget
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 9:15:59 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

The TLR1 with the remote switch is a good set up for the money and since it can be put on a glock, 1913 rail and a couple other mounts out there it's pretty flexible. I have a TLR1 on my pistol and I'm very happy with it

I have an old Surefire on a offset mount so it sits at 11 o'clock on my AR and it's served me well,  I would prefer to upgrade to a LED bulb at some point but it's not high on my to do list.

A G2 or other flash light on a mount is a good set up if your on a budget
the switch is a standard pressure pad right? That would be a nice
compromise but it just bugged teh shit out of me that I had to spend
another 40 bucks on a new back cover for the light and then anotherr
what 20 dollars on the damn pressure pad, that was just absurd.

Link Posted: 11/14/2012 1:40:07 PM EDT
[#17]
I am for anything Streamlight. I have a Streamlight Polytac HP on my AR15. Carry a Protac HL on duty, and have a few Protac's 2L's around the house. The TLR's are nice, it'd be cheaper just to buy a mount and the Protac HL, though. It just may be more bulky vs the TLR..
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 2:10:17 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a quad rail with a front handle grip on it. I want to mount the light so it will be around the 3 o'clock position as I hold the carbine. I want to be able to turn the light on with a monetary switch on the back of the light by using the thumb of my left hand, which will be on the handle grip.

What he wants won't be a pressure pad, or a rocker switch, or mount the light other than 3 o'clock.
There are a few options shown here that will work for what he is looking for, and a bunch that are well away from the OP's request.

There is a thread tacked here that I think a few should read. Maybe even give a response to also. It addresses the various mounting methods & switch types, as well as using your lights.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 9:20:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I want to mount the light so it will be around the 3 o'clock position as I hold the carbine.
Thanks, NYH1.

I guess I should have said that I want to mount my light from say the 3 o'clock to 5 o'clock position as I hold the carbine.

Thanks for all the replies, pic's and link.  A lot of good info.

Thanks again, NYH.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:01:42 AM EDT
[#20]
I too would highly recommend the Inforce WML.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 10:16:17 AM EDT
[#21]
I bought one of the Primary Arms lights yesterday, with a Gear Sector mount.  That is one badassed light.  It is WAY brighter than my 6xp Surefire, or my Streamlight Super Tac.  They are over 400 lumens, and built rock solid.  They are pretty much mil spec.  Captured batteries, o rings, the whole bit.  Just another option, L2
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 2:28:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I bought one of the Primary Arms lights yesterday, with a Gear Sector mount.  That is one badassed light.  It is WAY brighter than my 6xp Surefire, or my Streamlight Super Tac.  They are over 400 lumens, and built rock solid.  They are pretty much mil spec.  Captured batteries, o rings, the whole bit.  Just another option, L2

400 lumen? You are gonna blind yourself using it indoors man.
The first time you strobe that against a light colored wall, or worse hit a mirror, your cones & rods are gonna hold an afterimage of that spot for 10 minutes or more. Not even sure if a filter will protect you from self induced flash blindness against 400 lumens.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:58:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Another vote for the Inforce WML.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:56:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The first time you strobe that against a light colored wall, or worse hit a mirror, your cones & rods are gonna hold an afterimage of that spot for 10 minutes or more. Not even sure if a filter will protect you from self induced flash blindness against 400 lumens.

Lmao!  Yeah, I get that.  Good point!  I actually bought it for night hunting, but may see how bad it is inside, before I mount it up on my HD gun.  L2
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:02:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought that 400 lumens spread out very wide wont have that blinding effect you speak of? I also believe that 100 lumens of concentrated light is more blinding correct me if i am wrong.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:04:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Used surefire scout, or something like a 6P, or G2 in a larue flashlight mount will accomplish what you desire.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:05:24 PM EDT
[#27]

I like this liight and setup a lot also.  Its coming on fast in the AR market.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top