Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/22/2012 10:05:13 AM EDT
I will be going with a SureFire product regardless, but I've narrowed things down to these two models. Low profile against quadrail, high lumen output, and pressure switch applicable. My problem comes with deciding which one. I shoot outdoors, but I also want a light that is good indoors as well. Im not sure if 500 lumens from the X300u is to "overpowering" indoors, but i would think it works well outdoors. However, if it is a good indoor light, my best guess is that it is a best of both worlds.

X300 or X300 U and why?

Thanks and poll inbound.
Link Posted: 10/22/2012 11:21:15 AM EDT
[#1]
The 500 lumen thing has been discussed alot in the thread below about the EAG SF Fury, I have one it's not too much light. It does not wash things out indoors and the spill and distance are amazing. I also have a X300 on my pistol which is a great light but once I got my Defender (which is mounted to my AR with a GearSector mount) and saw the difference between the 500 and 170 lumens I ordered the X300 Ultra. Mines currently backordered and it only cost me $215ish, that's less than I paid for the original X300. It seems like a no brainer, same price or less most places as the X300 and more lumens, hope this helps.
Link Posted: 10/22/2012 3:13:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The 500 lumen thing has been discussed alot in the thread below about the EAG SF Fury, I have one it's not too much light. It does not wash things out indoors and the spill and distance are amazing. I also have a X300 on my pistol which is a great light but once I got my Defender (which is mounted to my AR with a GearSector mount) and saw the difference between the 500 and 170 lumens I ordered the X300 Ultra. Mines currently backordered and it only cost me $215ish, that's less than I paid for the original X300. It seems like a no brainer, same price or less most places as the X300 and more lumens, hope this helps.

my main concern was that it would wash out my sight indoors, but the x300 wouldnt have the throw that the x300 u has for outdoors. But if you think it preforms well indoors, and the way the poll has gone so far, I will probably set my sights on the X300U.

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/22/2012 4:20:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

my main concern was that it would wash out my sight indoors, but the x300 wouldnt have the throw that the x300 u has for outdoors. But if you think it preforms well indoors, and the way the poll has gone so far, I will probably set my sights on the X300U.

Thanks

"We have been using two of the Ultra's on our pistols for a while now.

I am not typing by Braille, so clearly i am not blind, nor are any of those who have been in the structure with me.

Lumens are a measure of light, but how the beam is shaped is also super important..
The wider the beam, the easier it is to see others with your peripheral vision.
We learned this with the TNVC Q5 light in the G2's a long time ago

We have been running 500 Lumen Fury's on our carbines for 6 months now, as well as the X300U on the pistols.

Don't buy into myths..."              

-Pat Rogers quoted from a post answering this question, 170 vs 500 lumens. Pat has a lot of experience in this field and recently wrote an article on it in Swat magazine. Go for the Ultra and you won't be sorry. If you want to read the whole thread it's on page 2 or 3 of this section, hope this helps.
Link Posted: 10/22/2012 5:31:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

What sight are you using? I leave my T-1 on '10' at all times and the X300U does not wash out the dot.
Link Posted: 10/22/2012 7:11:01 PM EDT
[#5]
People have problems with a standard x300 washing sights out. Just look at the post above me. Sure if you're fine with using the higher settings on optics then I guess it's not much of a issue. Personally I don't like my optics to be set into starburst mode just so they don't wash out.

It's just hype and people wanting the big number. Also having a big name push it helps sales.
Link Posted: 10/22/2012 7:20:38 PM EDT
[#6]
What's the problem with bright settings? Are you aiming at things without illumination? If you set your doy brightness to match the ambient light, any extra light will wash out the dot.

Dot washout is a non issue.
Link Posted: 10/22/2012 7:29:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What's the problem with bright settings? Are you aiming at things without illumination? If you set your doy brightness to match the ambient light, any extra light will wash out the dot.

Dot washout is a non issue.

Like I said if you find it works for you then no problem. It's still an issue and I myself turn the setting up on my T1 just to keep the dot from washing out. I find setting 8 or 9 works for me.

I also find the light reflection on the wall to be pretty blinding if your eyes are adjusted to night.

Dot washout is an issue that can be negated.
Link Posted: 10/22/2012 7:48:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Why are you pointing weaponlights at walls? You use brief bursts of light pointed low to get a snapshot of the environment and then you move. Once you turn on a light in the dark, your vision is ruined anyway. If you have to raise your light further up to see further, the walls are far enough away that the splashback is still not bright enough to "blind" you already non-dark adapted vision.

Yeah if you blast the white wall three feet in front of your face, that can be a problem. Then again, if you are blasting the white wall three feet in front of your face, you're doing it wrong.
Link Posted: 10/22/2012 7:53:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Why are you pointing weaponlights at walls? You use brief bursts of light pointed low to get a snapshot of the environment and then you move. Once you turn on a light in the dark, your vision is ruined anyway. If you have to raise your light further up to see further, the walls are far enough away that the splashback is still not bright enough to "blind" you already non-dark adapted vision.

Yeah if you blast the white wall three feet in front of your face, that can be a problem. Then again, if you are blasting the white wall three feet in front of your face, you're doing it wrong.

Last I checked in a HD situation you're surrounded by walls.

Seriously though, you can't expect to have zero reflection from a light being turned on in the middle of the night in a house. Wash out happens.

Link Posted: 10/22/2012 8:18:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously though, you can't expect to have zero reflection from a light being turned on in the middle of the night in a house. Wash out happens.

Let me repeat this I HAVE A 500 LUMEN SF ON MY AR, I have been doing indoor light training and have not had any problems with washout. There are also many reputable people in the know who are using these lights. If you are going to ignore the experience of people who actually own and use the lights you are speculating about then it is very difficult to continue a real conversation.
Link Posted: 10/23/2012 3:59:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let me repeat this I HAVE A 500 LUMEN SF ON MY AR, I have been doing indoor light training and have not had any problems with washout. There are also many reputable people in the know who are using these lights. If you are going to ignore the experience of people who actually own and use the lights you are speculating about then it is very difficult to continue a real conversation.

I, too, have 500+ OTF lumen lights. They are just fine indoors. My only complaint about them is run-time, but for many, that is not a factor.
Link Posted: 10/23/2012 7:28:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Plenty of reputable people if not the vast majority will also tell you to turn the setting up on your optic to avoid washout. That is basic stuff that has been taught for ever. Now it's getting thrown out the window because bigger and new. Why you guys want to intensify that when the standard x300 is already plenty bright enough I don't know.

Get a x300 that is plenty bright or a get the x300u and feel bigger. If you need a wider beam you shouldn't be using a compact style light in the first place.

I think it's funny that plenty of companies make 500-1000+ lumens heads that range from flood to spotlights but when surefire makes one suddenly it's the end all be all light that causes zero washout. Get back to reality people.
Link Posted: 10/23/2012 8:54:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Plenty of reputable people if not the vast majority will also tell you to turn the setting up on your optic to avoid washout. That is basic stuff that has been taught for ever. Now it's getting thrown out the window because bigger and new. Why you guys want to intensify that when the standard x300 is already plenty bright enough I don't know.

Get a x300 that is plenty bright or a get the x300u and feel bigger. If you need a wider beam you shouldn't be using a compact style light in the first place.

I think it's funny that plenty of companies make 500-1000+ lumens heads that range from flood to spotlights but when surefire makes one suddenly it's the end all be all light that causes zero washout. Get back to reality people.

Wow, still not listening. It's about taking advantage of what's available technology wise, I have an X300 it is a great light, the X300U is an upgrade. I am not a SF nuthugger (I own a couple Fenix lights and Inova and Streamlight) they just finally made a better light in a competitive price range. It's not about feeling bigger, it's about seeing more. Also if OP wants a compact style with the OTF light and beam of a full size why not, it's available to him, your not being helpfull your just playing devil's advocate it seems. You should really check one out that's the thing that made me a believer. I was running a TNVC TX4 head on my AR for the last 5 or so years again great light, very happy with it, but I saw a weapon mounted Fury on someone's rig & I was sold. In comparison it has better spill and throw at a cheaper price, same comparison in the X300 to the X300U have seen them compared side by side. But once again I believe it's a result of SF finally realizing they have to step it up because of all the companies making good inexpensive high lumen lights. I really don't care if you buy one or not the cash won't go in my pocket I was just simply trying to inform the OP of my experience with both lights so he could spend his money wisely. I am sure next year we'll be having the same conversation when somebody makes something better. I think when military and police units start using a product it's time to take notice of it because they are always embracing the next best option to get the job done. Bottom line and this is for the OP get an X300= good, see in the dark, get an X300U= great, see more. I've been able to use both and that's my conclusion.
Link Posted: 10/23/2012 9:11:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

SF finally realizing they have to step it up because of all the companies making good inexspensive high lumen lights.

Which is what I said minus the inexpensive part. Companies have had these high power lights in all shapes and forms and with desired light patterns from flood light to spotlight. This is nothing new. It's been done before. It's been tested. These lights cause more wash out.

Surefire isn't using magic pixie dust to illuminate. Deal with it.

Link Posted: 11/4/2012 5:42:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Has anyone tested the max range they've been able to get out of the Ultra?

I had the first X300 before (170 lumen) but it didn't reach out far enough so I bought a M600C scout.
Link Posted: 11/4/2012 6:33:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Has anyone tested the max range they've been able to get out of the Ultra?

I had the first X300 before (170 lumen) but it didn't reach out far enough so I bought a M600C scout.

I don't have any way of quantifying it, but it is pretty far. The X300 and the M600C have nearly identical beam pattern and output so I'm not really sure what kind of a difference you are seeing.
Link Posted: 11/4/2012 8:09:59 PM EDT
[#17]
I see way more periferal light on the X300 vs the M600 which has a hotspot in the middle for a longer throw with a small amount of spill. I switched to the M600C a while back but if the X300 Ultra has decent range I wouldn't hesitate to pick one up due to its smaller size.
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 6:16:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Get the Ultra and if ever using indoors get a diffuser to cut down on the light.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 6:24:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Hey new to lights, what is a defuser?
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 8:18:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Hey new to lights, what is a defuser?

Diffuser is usually an opaque cover that disperses the beam so you get all spill and no throw, kind of widens your viewing area. I own an X300 Ultra and it is not needed, I got it about 2 weeks ago and have already used it, practiced with it and it does not cause wash out.
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 10:19:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Just thought I would point out that for a wider beam you would in fact want a compact style light as larger reflectors actually serve to tighten the beam.

Also, while yes there have been plenty of 500+ lumen lights available, few of them were reliable enough or suitable for weapon light use and those that were suitable/reliable were often deemed too large or heavy -case in point the TNVC TX-4 and Malkoff M91 upgrades for the SF Millennium lights are both over 600 lumens and highly recommended despite the Surefire Millennium's large size.

The X300U and P2X are not being recommended solely because they are new, or from Surefire, and its not simply because they are 500 lumens. People are recommending and migrating to the X300U and P2X models for the combined reasons that they are quality American made products that can both handle and are suitably designed for weapon use while having an impressive sheer output with the correct beam characteristics for proper usage all in an amazingly compact and lightweight package.

As a side note, for years people have bemoaned the evolution of weapon lights, many people thought that 60 lumens was too bright back when the original G2, 6P, M600B and M951 first came out, then when the lumens doubled with the G2L, 6PL, M600A and M961 there was more hollering, then it happened again with the G2X, 6PX and M600C and now here we are with the P2X and X300U and soon to be 500 lumen M600whatever. Yet for all of the arguing we still see the professionals and industry icons upgrading to the newer brighter lights, I tend to think that there must be some valid reason other than hype.
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 2:54:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just thought I would point out that for a wider beam you would in fact want a compact style light as larger reflectors actually serve to tighten the beam.

Also, while yes there have been plenty of 500+ lumen lights available, few of them were reliable enough or suitable for weapon light use and those that were suitable/reliable were often deemed too large or heavy -case in point the TNVC TX-4 and Malkoff M91 upgrades for the SF Millennium lights are both over 600 lumens and highly recommended despite the Surefire Millennium's large size.

The X300U and P2X are not being recommended solely because they are new, or from Surefire, and its not simply because they are 500 lumens. People are recommending and migrating to the X300U and P2X models for the combined reasons that they are quality American made products that can both handle and are suitably designed for weapon use while having an impressive sheer output with the correct beam characteristics for proper usage all in an amazingly compact and lightweight package.

As a side note, for years people have bemoaned the evolution of weapon lights, many people thought that 60 lumens was too bright back when the original G2, 6P, M600B and M951 first came out, then when the lumens doubled with the G2L, 6PL, M600A and M961 there was more hollering, then it happened again with the G2X, 6PX and M600C and now here we are with the P2X and X300U and soon to be 500 lumen M600whatever. Yet for all of the arguing we still see the professionals and industry icons upgrading to the newer brighter lights, I tend to think that there must be some valid reason other than hype.

Well said...sometimes I wonder if people are just adverse to change because they don't want to have to spend the money on an upgrade, so they poopoo the new stuff. I'm not saying I got FU money but if something is obviously better and I can see the advantage I upgrade. I try to wait as long as possible to see multiple opinions before parting with my hard earned loot. On a side note for those of you wanting more info on the Ultra, SF seems to have matched the beams up on the Ultra with the Fury Series. I have a Defender on my AR and an Ultra on my pistol, same tint, throw and spill so switching between primary and secondary has no visual difference. It's a small thing but it's nice knowing when switching to your secondary in the dark your not sacrificing the amount you see.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 1:05:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Just bought a x300 for 197 and last time i checked they were 290
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:38:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Most places dropped the price cause you can get an X300 Ultra for pretty close to the same, I was thinking about selling my old X300 since I got the Ultra but I don't know if I can part with it, I've had it for a long time. I saw that your picking up the EAG Fury on Pat's thread, wait till you get that thing, it's awesome, that's why I was letting people know that the beam on the Ultra and the Fury are the same- throw, spill and tint. Once you light up your back yard with the Fury you'll want your pistol light to match it.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:40:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most places dropped the price cause you can get an X300 Ultra for pretty close to the same, I was thinking about selling my old X300 since I got the Ultra but I don't know if I can part with it, I've had it for a long time. I saw that your picking up the EAG Fury on Pat's thread, wait till you get that thing, it's awesome, that's why I was letting people know that the beam on the Ultra and the Fury are the same- throw, spill and tint. Once you light up your back yard with the Fury you'll want your pistol light to match it.

I am sure i will want it to match but im also sure ill love that x300, cause i been wanting one for a while now. I just recently learned about the 500 lumens across a wide spill wont cause some blind back flash. I got my x300 off amazon and they have the ultra for 290 so obvious choice was x300.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:53:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am sure i will want it to match but im also sure ill love that x300, cause i been wanting one for a while now. I just recently learned about the 500 lumens across a wide spill wont cause some blind back flash. I got my x300 off amazon and they have the ultra for 290 so obvious choice was x300.

I've had the X300 on my pistol for about 5 years now, no complaints, no problems you will like it. If you go to LA Police gear or Tactical LEDs you can get the Ultra for $215 that's where I got mine and I found a coupon for free shipping. LA Police gear has very competitive prices and are a reputable place to order things, not trying to wreck your new X300 purchase just thought you'd like to know.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:54:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've had the X300 on my pistol for about 5 years now, no complaints, no problems you will like it. If you go to LA Police gear or Tactical LEDs you can get the Ultra for $215 that's were I got mine and I found a coupon for free shipping. LA Police gear has very competitive prices and are a reputable place to order things, not trying to wreck your new X300 purchase just thought you'd like to know.

Thanks ill compare the my eag fury and x300 when i get them and make a decision if i want to return it and get the x300u.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:00:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've had the X300 on my pistol for about 5 years now, no complaints, no problems you will like it. If you go to LA Police gear or Tactical LEDs you can get the Ultra for $215 that's were I got mine and I found a coupon for free shipping. LA Police gear has very competitive prices and are a reputable place to order things, not trying to wreck your new X300 purchase just thought you'd like to know.

Thanks ill compare the my eag fury and x300 when i get them and make a decision if i want to return it and get the x300u.

If you do just type LA Police gear coupon codes in a search and you can usually find a current code for free shipping or 10% off or something like that.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:14:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you do just type LA Police gear coupon codes in a search and you can usually find a current code for free shipping or 10% off or something like that.

Just checked and they are on back order. Owell.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:27:06 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just checked and they are on back order. Owell.

Yeah I had to backorder mine too, took about 2 and a half weeks to get it, not too bad.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top