Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/18/2012 6:13:15 PM EDT
Has anyone actually done this? Any modifications required? Looking to upgrade this light

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/18/2012 8:20:23 PM EDT
[#1]
So long as your M951 has the LU60 adapter installed it should fit and work just fine without any modification. Although if you don't mind a bit of modification you might want to consider getting a Malkoff drop in assembly.
Link Posted: 7/21/2012 8:33:18 AM EDT
[#2]
That's what I got on mine right now.  Works like a charm!

I meant the KX4 head.  For those who owns the Surefire Classic weaponlight, the KX4 will also work on those.
Link Posted: 7/22/2012 3:53:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/23/2012 9:45:12 AM EDT
[#4]
LED's are marvelous animals, but I still like incandescent.  The later doesn't "bounce back" rudely to your eyes like LED does.  Too bad incandescent has a filament that breaks and it is a battery sucking vampire.  It would suck when the flashlight quits, install new batteries and turned out that it's the bulb that died.  More time wasted to replace the incan bulb with threats around.  OK if one travels with a pack of armed friends.  Alone.........
Link Posted: 7/23/2012 4:23:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
That's what I got on mine right now.  Works like a charm!

I meant the KX4 head.  For those who owns the Surefire Classic weaponlight, the KX4 will also work on those.

Any modifications?
Link Posted: 7/23/2012 4:23:34 PM EDT
[#6]

Nice that's the look I'm going for
Link Posted: 7/26/2012 7:01:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Just like Lancelot picture shows - ZERO modification.  Enjoy!

Link Posted: 7/26/2012 10:18:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
LED's are marvelous animals, but I still like incandescent.  The later doesn't "bounce back" rudely to your eyes like LED does.  Too bad incandescent has a filament that breaks and it is a battery sucking vampire.  It would suck when the flashlight quits, install new batteries and turned out that it's the bulb that died.  More time wasted to replace the incan bulb with threats around.  OK if one travels with a pack of armed friends.  Alone.........

LEDs dont bounce back more than incan. Get a warm LED. Problem solved. Light is light. Get an LED that produces the wavelengths you like.

Link Posted: 7/26/2012 1:47:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Iam sure you need a lu60 adapter, the p series heads will not go straight on the m series bodies
Link Posted: 7/27/2012 2:23:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Iam sure you need a lu60 adapter, the p series heads will not go straight on the m series bodies

Crap now where do I find one of those?
Link Posted: 7/28/2012 7:57:27 AM EDT
[#11]
tnvc or oveready make them
Link Posted: 7/28/2012 8:01:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/28/2012 8:26:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't understand - if you have the M951, you should already have all that jazz; otherwise, how does your shock isolated bezel screwed into the M951?  My M951 readily accepts bezels from my 6P's and G2's and the KX4 head screws right into my M951.  All I had to do was to unscrew the shock isolated bezel and installed the KX4 (or the 6P bezel prior to the KX4).  The "Lu60" adapter is the part with the battery retainer (the machined lip) and that plastic wachamacallit that you can pull out with a needle nose plier, right?  Both my M951 and Classic Weapon Light (L660 or whatever it's called) came with the "Lu60" already installed.  That KX4 head should just drop right in.

Did I misunderstand everything?  Are we talking about the M961 instead?

Link Posted: 7/28/2012 8:29:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

LEDs dont bounce back more than incan. Get a warm LED. Problem solved. Light is light. Get an LED that produces the wavelengths you like.

Warm LED is really nice.  It looks just like incandescent, but with no filament to break.

Link Posted: 7/28/2012 12:49:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/28/2012 2:02:05 PM EDT
[#16]
I did not know that m951 came with lu60 adapters. I just knew that an adapter was needed to use a p series head on that body as shown below.

Just like you can use an LU10 or LU20 for turbo heads

Link Posted: 7/29/2012 8:34:59 AM EDT
[#17]
That's a pretty cool chart!  I'm going to save it to look at it more.

All M951 got to have the LU60 installed.  Otherwise, the shock isolated bezel will not fit.
Link Posted: 8/10/2012 6:08:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Where can I get a LU-60?
Link Posted: 8/11/2012 12:00:21 PM EDT
[#19]
An M951 with a KX4 head is an inferior setup to an M951 with a Malkoff M60 or M61. The KX4 isn't as bright yet has lesser runtime that the Malkoffs. The only downside is haveing to dremel out the adapter collar to make the Malkoff fit.
Link Posted: 8/11/2012 12:32:01 PM EDT
[#20]
This may help if you want to add a Malkoff to an M951 http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?335488-Surefire-M951-and-M961-mod-question

I haven't tried it myself but hope to in the future.

Link Posted: 8/11/2012 12:33:30 PM EDT
[#21]
This may help if you want to add a Malkoff to an M951 http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?335488-Surefire-M951-and-M961-mod-question

I haven't tried it myself but hope to in the future.

Link Posted: 8/12/2012 9:26:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just realized my m951 already has a LU60
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 9:56:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/17/2012 6:48:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Maybe its just me, but I dont get the fuss over modding the 951 to accept P60 type LED upgrade drop-ins.  Its pathetically easy, even with crap tools and zero experience.  For mine I just picked up a good quality metal cutting 7/8 drill bit, put it in an old B&D hammer drill, locked the collar in a vise, and just drilled it out enough to accept the larger LED lamps.  It really couldn't have been any easier, and I can still use the incand. lamps if I want to.

Maybe that sounds WECSOG, but I've done several now with zero issues.  No need to spend $$$$ on adapters and heads.... unless you just want to.
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 8:06:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Maybe its just me, but I dont get the fuss over modding the 951 to accept P60 type LED upgrade drop-ins.  Its pathetically easy, even with crap tools and zero experience.  For mine I just picked up a good quality metal cutting 7/8 drill bit, put it in an old B&D hammer drill, locked the collar in a vise, and just drilled it out enough to accept the larger LED lamps.  It really couldn't have been any easier, and I can still use the incand. lamps if I want to.

Maybe that sounds WECSOG, but I've done several now with zero issues.  No need to spend $$$$ on adapters and heads.... unless you just want to.

Is that the collar that acts as the battery retention?  Or the plastic thingy that prevents short circuiting incase the spring touches the metal body?

I'd like to preserve the battery retention feature of the light when I'm using the incandescent bulb.

I wonder if TNVC replacement lamp for the G2 / 6P will work in 951.

I agree with Lancelot, though, KX4 offers enough light for my purpose.  If I wanted throw, the 961 with the 210 lumen bulb does wonder (for me), but of course the battery life with the 210 lumen incandescent =

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top