Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/10/2012 7:14:47 AM EDT
So I'm planning on a Surefire m600c but I cant decide on tan or black....Ive never seen the lights in person so I dont know what the colors actually look like, so this is making it a tough decision for an online purchase!  Anyone with either tan or black please chime in...As of right now I'd be putting it on a partial fde rifle so it would work I'd think, but I just want to make sure the tan surefire doesn't look cheap or anything and that the black just looks much better than the tan.  
So this is a pic of the rifle it will be going on....and a troy fde front sight is on its way right now.
" />

Thanks for the help guys.
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 7:23:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Not to be mean, but just buy one. I'm sure it won't clash with your railcovers
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_2/1298777_Color_Coordination_Forum.html
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 7:29:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Its not so much the coordination, as much as, does the tan on the surefire look cheap.......and does the black light look better?
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 7:38:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I am sorry but I have to agree 100% with Joe on this.  Color matching of parts really has no place in tech forums.  As he said, we are not trying to be mean but it really does get old.

That said, you will find that anodized parts rarely match from batch to batch.  I have seen Surefire bodies and heads of the same light be noticeably different due to being anodized in separate batches.  The great part is, no matter the color, you are getting a great light that will work, and work well an isn't that what really matters?
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 7:42:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its not so much the coordination, as much as, does the tan on the surefire look cheap.......and does the black light look better?

Surefire changed their tan anodizing a while ago, as they used to have more of a gold look to them.  The newer ones look a lot better than the ones from the "golden years", but what looks "better" tan or black...that is really just a personal preference and something you'll have to decide for yourself.  I usually prefer tan myself.
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 8:11:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Surefire changed their tan anodizing a while ago, as they used to have more of a gold look to them.  The newer ones look a lot better than the ones from the "golden years", but what looks "better" tan or black...that is really just a personal preference and something you'll have to decide for yourself.  I usually prefer tan myself.

Thank you, this is the type of answer I was hoping for.  The issue is an optic or light is usually a major investment, not like a stock or grip which can be replaced easily if it's not what I want without much of a loss.  I really wasn't asking to know which shade of tan they use because I understand every company has its own variation, but often I see fde rifles with black surefires and really don't see them tan that much.  So I was curious if they don't look very good in tan that's all.  
I'm sorry if this is the wrong area to ask something like this though.
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 4:07:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I think your question was valid.

Many people preach the "it's just a tool" bull shit on here.

I agree it's a tool, but a very expensive one. And until the day that I have to take to the streets to fight off the zombie hords, I like my very expensive toy to look good.
I treat my ar's like every other expensive firearm I own, and cry just as much when it gets a scratch or ding.
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 4:24:49 PM EDT
[#7]
I've never seen anything on a SF light that looks "cheap".

Surefire makes great lights, and I've never been disappointed with anything I've bought from them. I've regretted other lights, but never a SF. I can totally understand "color coordinating" a rifle, however, these types of questions are not in the least bit technical.

I have a black scout and a FDE M952V. Both have a great finish and I don't think you'd be disappointed with either. That said, I personally like FDE, and I'm too nervous to really paint anything I own.
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 4:48:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I've never seen anything on a SF light that looks "cheap".

Surefire makes great lights, and I've never been disappointed with anything I've bought from them. I've regretted other lights, but never a SF. I can totally understand "color coordinating" a rifle, however, these types of questions are not in the least bit technical.

I have a black scout and a FDE M952V. Both have a great finish and I don't think you'd be disappointed with either. That said, I personally like FDE, and I'm too nervous to really paint anything I own.

Yea thats what I wanted to know...Ive never seen a surefire light in person, so I didnt know if it might look cheap or not in tan.  There are plenty of expensive things (not even gun related) that look cheap in any other color but black.

and thanks sgw...EXACTLY lol
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 5:11:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Black colored objects tend to get really hot in full sunlight.  Tan stuff not so much.

Worrying about exactly matching colors on your Barbie Do...,I mean AR-15, is dumb.
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 6:16:08 PM EDT
[#10]
^^^Its not so much the coordination, as much as, does the tan on the surefire look cheap.......and does the black light look better?  I said that before..........

edit:  WOW I'm getting a bunch of your guys' panties in a twist lol
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 8:58:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Order the tan one from somewhere that accepts returns and decide once you see it.
I think the tan would look better on your gun, personally, but I own the black one.
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 9:08:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Well since you already have other tan furniture I would say go with tan to match.
Link Posted: 3/12/2012 8:40:48 AM EDT
[#13]
I have tan on a all black M4
Link Posted: 3/12/2012 11:29:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks guys sounds like I'll definitely go with tan then!
Link Posted: 3/12/2012 7:37:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/12/2012 7:40:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Arfcom needs a "Fashion Forum". Problem solved.
Link Posted: 3/13/2012 4:06:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
We're a Surefire dealer and  I have both Tan & Black. The Tan shows wear and carbon more than black. Tan is not as universal as black. If I were to choose one, it would be black.

MOUNT-N-SLOT

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af110/mount-n-slot/IWCLogo-1.jpg

Thanks A LOT.  When I asked my question, these are the types of answers I was hoping to get.  So again thank you!  I havent bought the light yet, so this may sway my decision, and I now know about your store!

As far as the other comments about fashion, etc.  How many times do I have to make a new post in this thread explaining how I wasn't asking to "match" my furniture....thats not the point of this thread.
Link Posted: 3/14/2012 2:47:15 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

We're a Surefire dealer and  I have both Tan & Black. The Tan shows wear and carbon more than black. Tan is not as universal as black. If I were to choose one, it would be black.

MOUNT-N-SLOT

I would disagree with this. If my lights get dirty, they get dirty. The only area that matters, in term carbon accumulation, is the lens.

As far as universal, that depends on what the color schemes of your rifles are. If one used a tan light on an all black rifle, yeah that might look a little off but it would work just as well as if it were black. On the other hand, if one's rifles are green or tan than tan would work. I tend to mix and match all the earth tones on my rifles so I actually like shades that don't match. I call that camouflage.

Link Posted: 3/14/2012 3:42:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 8:45:58 PM EDT
[#20]

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top