Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2011 8:12:43 AM EDT
Was wondering about the insight laser and wondered if anyone had some experience with it and could offer some info.

Link Posted: 12/31/2011 8:21:31 AM EDT
[#1]
FDA (yes, FDA!) regulations limit sales to LE/MIL only. Anything you find for sale is of questionable origin. Other than that, a solid IR laser / illuminator, albeit it a little bulky compared to a PEQ-15.

I would recommend that you look at the LD Class I IR/VIS laser. (civi okay)

TNVC (a site sponsor) sells them.

http://www.tnvc.com/shop/ldi-dbal-i2-class-1-ir-laser
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 8:31:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
FDA (yes, FDA!) regulations limit sales to LE/MIL only. Anything you find for sale is of questionable origin. Other than that, a solid IR laser / illuminator, albeit it a little bulky compared to a PEQ-15.

+10  
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 2:25:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Did they ever fix the battery drain issue with the DBAL's?  I mean really fix it, not put out a press release and a slightly less screwed up circuit board revision?  I ask because the thing costs almost a grand and folks are still complaining that it's luck O The Draw as to whether the unit you get will kill batteries just sitting there turned off.

That said PEQ-2's are:

1.  Huge
2.  Mounting system sucks
3.  No support
4.  CID make come a knocking
5.  Zeroing it is fun
6.  It's bright as hell.  A little to bright a lot of the time
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 2:43:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Did they ever fix the battery drain issue with the DBAL's?  I mean really fix it, not put out a press release and a slightly less screwed up circuit board revision?  I ask because the thing costs almost a grand and folks are still complaining that it's luck O The Draw as to whether the unit you get will kill batteries just sitting there turned off.

That said PEQ-2's are:

1.  Huge
3.  No support
5.  Zeroing it is fun

I believe it was a certain range of units. Right now I'm using a mulitmeter to track the drain of a standard unit. I should have the results in a month or so.
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 4:15:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+10  

Another +10. I used both and out to 200 the civilian legal  one is awesome.
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 9:27:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That said PEQ-2's are:

1.  Huge
3.  No support
5.  Zeroing it is fun

I believe it was a certain range of units. Right now I'm using a mulitmeter to track the drain of a standard unit. I should have the results in a month or so.

I think it was the most recent batch. They "upgraded" the circuit boards, but somehow neglected to notice the insane parasitic drain. According to LDI, they have a fix, and the new boards should be in soon (maybe they are already, IDK).
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 4:13:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That said PEQ-2's are:

1.  Huge
3.  No support
5.  Zeroing it is fun

I think it was the most recent batch. They "upgraded" the circuit boards, but somehow neglected to notice the insane parasitic drain. According to LDI, they have a fix, and the new boards should be in soon (maybe they are already, IDK).

If you're talking about upgrading from 0.07mw to 0.7mw mine falls under the new higher power.  Mine was marked July 2011, when the higher power units were released.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 8:01:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That said PEQ-2's are:

1.  Huge
3.  No support
5.  Zeroing it is fun

If you're talking about upgrading from 0.07mw to 0.7mw mine falls under the new higher power.  Mine was marked July 2011, when the higher power units were released.

I don't know if that was the particular upgrade that caused the issue. They could have just swapped out some unrelated components. In fact, I bet that the max power level is more of a software limit than anything.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 8:19:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That said PEQ-2's are:

1.  Huge
3.  No support
5.  Zeroing it is fun

I don't know if that was the particular upgrade that caused the issue. They could have just swapped out some unrelated components. In fact, I bet that the max power level is more of a software limit than anything.
      That's interesting - I would like to open one up, but always thought it would pretty much self destruct being that its potted for shock absorption. Any truth to my thinking guy's - I may pick up an older unit on the cheep just to indulge...........
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 3:08:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That said PEQ-2's are:

1.  Huge
3.  No support
5.  Zeroing it is fun

That's interesting - I would like to open one up, but always thought it would pretty much self destruct being that its potted for shock absorption. Any truth to my thinking guy's - I may pick up an older unit on the cheep just to indulge...........

They probably design it to be hard to take apart without breaking. But then, there has to be a way to open it, or how would they repair them? If you end up breaking one open, I might be able to look at what exactly the software is doing (depending on what hardware they use).
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 3:54:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Yeah, I have often wondered how LDI opens one up when service is required. If I can source one (off someone that hates it) at a decent price I would be willing to take a crack at it.....
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:29:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

That said PEQ-2's are:

1.  Huge
3.  No support
5.  Zeroing it is fun

CID????
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:34:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Yep, CID - they will be glad to pick her up..........   That's a good reason to pass on a peq-anything.  Your best option as of now is the DBAL Class 1 IR laser or its civy friends like the ITAL & OTAL.........
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 10:01:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Yep, CID - they will be glad to pick her up..........   That's a good reason to pass on a peq-anything.  Your best option as of now is the DBAL Class 1 IR laser or its civy friends like the ITAL & OTAL.........

What is the CID?
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 10:21:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Criminal Investigation Command / Criminal Investigation Division
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:21:46 PM EDT
[#16]
CID, DHS, NCIS, ICE, FBI, and the preferred gun dealers to the Mexican drug cartels, the BATFE.  Pick your favorite alphabet soup Fed agency.  They're all here trolling for personal amusement and professionally to keep anyone from having any illegal fun.

Read the stuff here and become slightly more enlightened.

Have a nice day and remember;  Big Brother is always watching!
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:15:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
CID, DHS, NCIS, ICE, FBI, and the preferred gun dealers to the Mexican drug cartels, the BATFE.  Pick your favorite alphabet soup Fed agency.  They're all here trolling for personal amusement and professionally to keep anyone from having any illegal fun.

Is it just me or is it screwed up beyond recognition when you can pay a $200 tax stamp and legally own a Machine Gun, Destructive Device, SBR, SBS, Suppressor. You can even legally own NVG's and scopes and some types of lasers but not this and certain other items. It is said to see our country come to this as you and me paid for them in the first place.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:26:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is it just me or is it screwed up beyond recognition when you can pay a $200 tax stamp and legally own a Machine Gun, Destructive Device, SBR, SBS, Suppressor. You can even legally own NVG's and scopes and some types of lasers but not this and certain other items. It is said to see our country come to this as you and me paid for them in the first place.

It's not illegal to possess an IR laser as long as it's not stolen DoD property.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:32:14 AM EDT
[#19]
It's not illegal to possess an IR laser as long as it's not stolen DoD property.

Let me see if I have this right with all I have read. Someone could purchase a NEW one for $1,300 from an authorized dealer online "IF" they sell it to you and that's legal???
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:19:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Let me see if I have this right with all I have read. Someone could purchase a NEW one for $1,300 from an authorized dealer online "IF" they sell it to you and that's legal???

The problem is that the FDA regulations prevent manufacturers from selling IR lasers over a certain wattage to non-MIL/LEO. I'm just saying, if you somehow ended up with a PEQ that was not stolen DOD property, then it would be perfectly legal to own. You would still be up shits creek when it comes to service, as LD or Insight wouldn't warrantee the unit to you and would likely confiscate it if you sent it in.

The realistic answer is still in the first few posts. Just get one of those lower powered Class 1 IR lasers.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:44:29 PM EDT
[#21]
The problem is that the FDA regulations prevent manufacturers from selling IR lasers over a certain wattage to non-MIL/LEO. I'm just saying, if you somehow ended up with a PEQ that was not stolen DOD property, then it would be perfectly legal to own. You would still be up shits creek when it comes to service, as LD or Insight wouldn't warrantee the unit to you and would likely confiscate it if you sent it in.

The realistic answer is still in the first few posts. Just get one of those lower powered Class 1 IR lasers.

I gotcha.

Just to satisfy my curiosity I must ask "IF" you could afford one and have the full service of the manufacture with no restrictions which one would you go with the AN/PEQ-2A or AN/PEQ-15.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:49:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I gotcha.

Just to satisfy my curiosity I must ask "IF" you could afford one and have the full service of the manufacture with no restrictions which one would you go with the AN/PEQ-2A or AN/PEQ-15.

-15. If nothing else because of the size. The visible red laser also makes it easy to zero during the day.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 1:54:31 PM EDT
[#23]
PEQ-15 by a land slide for the reasons Joe outlined above.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top