Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/29/2011 5:02:10 AM EDT
Gents,

I have had the opportunity for the past few weeks to play with a couple of these little gems of a light. INFORCE (Emmissivie Energy Corp.) is a local company to me, built right up the street from my employer.

The WML is the first light of its kind, in the fact that its Carbon fiber bodied, extremely lightweight, 125 lumens, ergonomically designed for a thumb break, runs off of (1) CR123, waterproof to 66 feet,  and best of all is a true USA made light!

I will try and highlight all of the lights features. There are two forms of the light one with IR capability and one without.

First of all, the light is extremely lightweight. With battery it weighs in at a mere 3oz.This includes everything, mount, battery, Cree lamp, etc.

It mounts to any 1913 rail spec/or close with a spring loaded rock on (very convenient) styled grip. Once snapped on tension is held by a thumb screw. I found on my C4 rail for it to be extremely solid without even touching the thumb screw.

The light has two forms of lockout against AD. The first, found on both models, is to simply unscrew the bezel 1/2 turn and it renders the light dead. The second found on the IR light is a simple carbon draw bar the flips over the switch blocking the thumb from pressing the switch. What is nice about the draw bar is it provides a solid hold point for your thumb while shooting a thumb break style.

The switch on the light, to me, is truly revolutionary, as it is ergonomic. Your thumb will naturally find its way resting on the switch with no odd angles every time. To me the switch is simple. Touch it once you have bright, touch it twice you have dim, double tap it and you have blinding strobe. This may seem complicated but it is not. When you fire the light you make your choice. If you let any setting stay for more than a couple of seconds, the next push of the switch turns the light off. Also you can disable the strobe function as well. This switch is designed with simple body mechanics in mind, no for flubbing for a small button or switch while wearing gloves.

The light is incredibly bright for its size. its a 125 lumen light on (1) CR123. The beam has incredibly bright hot spot, with a more than adequate flooding halo. The light is a more pure white light than I have seen on other LEDs. The light was not designed to engage enemies out to distances, it is a pure cqb light, but I have found to be more than adequate to light up my back yard, and every room in my house, including my rough concrete walled basement.

I can't write to much about the IR capability of the light, as I don't own a NVD. I can say that is activated via a simple rocker switch on the side of the body which smoothly interrupts the circuit. No extra bezels or filters needed.

The light body itself was designed to be ultra low profile. The bezel barely floats above the rail surface, and roughly only 1/2 inch above the fsb sides. The foundation of the light is barely 1/4" tall and the real estate it takes on the rail is small and very flat. The lights is available in black and sand.

I have been incredibly impressed with this light is my testing. It is available to all LEO and .mil depts, and now available to civilians. Contact information can be found on the website. For civvies call Dot at ext 204. http://www.inforce-mil.com/wml-ir.php

Pics of the light mounted on my Dissy are pictured below.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 5:24:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Price?
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 5:29:35 AM EDT
[#2]
As far as I know U.S. pricing for the IR / White is $175.00 and White only is $150.00.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 8:17:29 AM EDT
[#3]
I wonder what led they are using...125 lumens is less than 1/4 of what lights this size are currently capable of. Even conservative choices are available that are close to 300 lumens, and for less than half that price.

That said, the mount, and lockout features look nice.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 8:23:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 8:51:21 AM EDT
[#5]
its does have a strobe according to the Review. . .

twice you have dim, double tap it and you have blinding strobe.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 8:53:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 9:01:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Its, pretty.

its small.

Ergonomic, yes.

But for $150, I could get a 600 lumen M2-x1w/ mount and pressure switch.

$85 was appealing, but this doesn't seem to be what I would want for that price.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 9:31:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Evaluate it for your needs gents. Persoanlly I say it competes with the mini scout in class, and usuage. And in my opinion excells, at a cheaper price. But that is my opinion.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 4:36:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 4:44:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I wonder what led they are using...125 lumens is less than 1/4 of what lights this size are currently capable of. Even conservative choices are available that are close to 300 lumens, and for less than half that price.

Sorry I missed your post. Similar sized lights use 2 cr123 batteries. For only one battery 125 lumens beats out much of the competition.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 5:53:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I like it.

As do I.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 10:38:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry I missed your post. Similar sized lights use 2 cr123 batteries. For only one battery 125 lumens beats out much of the competition.

Just off the top of my head...
The jetbeam bc-10 running from one cr123 delivers 270 lumens. From a imr 123 (a rechargeable lithium chemistry the same size as a cr123) will deliver 450. This light is smaller, lighter and only $40. Several mounting options exist to mount it to a 1913 rail. All this on a led that is several years old... the xpg. The newest leds like the xml will deliver the same brightness with longer runtime. A xml direct driven will easily break the 500lumen mark in a light this size.

Don't misunderstand me the thing looks sexy, and I like the flipdown switch cover, but getting excited about this level of performance is silly.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 10:46:05 PM EDT
[#13]
I hope I'm not coming across like a Dick trying to put down some new hardware. I know a lot of gun guys aren't also flashlight guys so many aren't aware of what's available out there. I would expect some level of scepticism directed towards somebody proposing a pistol caliber lever gun for modern infantry use... to draw a parallel.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 2:43:28 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just off the top of my head...

The jetbeam bc-10 running from one cr123 delivers 270 lumens. From a imr 123 (a rechargeable lithium chemistry the same size as a cr123) will deliver 450. This light is smaller, lighter and only $40. Several mounting options exist to mount it to a 1913 rail. All this on a led that is several years old... the xpg. The newest leds like the xml will deliver the same brightness with longer runtime. A xml direct driven will easily break the 500lumen mark in a light this size.

Don't misunderstand me the thing looks sexy, and I like the flipdown switch cover, but getting excited about this level of performance is silly.

Not every situation calls for paint peeling levels of light. Looks like this is a great alternative to the TLR-1 for long gun use. The switch and lockout lever look great.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 3:36:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I hope I'm not coming across like a Dick trying to put down some new hardware. I know a lot of gun guys aren't also flashlight guys so many aren't aware of what's available out there. I would expect some level of scepticism directed towards somebody proposing a pistol caliber lever gun for modern infantry use... to draw a parallel.

Nope I understand your points. As the gent above said, for inside the house cqb work, 300-450 lumens is just not needed. Also lets remember that Inforce designs, and builds these is the USA, with hard working American people.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:49:33 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm all for American design and build quality... but use the good parts Dang it! The difference between a 6 year old xre emitter and a new tech xml is only a couple bucks!

The jetbeam mentioned above does have a dimmer mode more suitable for close work.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:26:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:29:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
How do I buy one?

Contact information can be found on the website. For civvies call Dot at ext 204. http://www.inforce-mil.com/wml-ir.php

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:32:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Is there a way to lock out the strobe to prevent accidental activation? I can't stand that shit.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:35:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:48:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Is there a way to lock out the strobe to prevent accidental activation? I can't stand that shit.

Strobe can be completely locked out
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 9:51:22 AM EDT
[#22]
I bought an old 3P off of egehy wtih the idea of installing the M31L, from Malkoff, for a SD/HD 50M and closer firearm light.

It has 125 Lumens with 2.25-2.50 hours of full power light, I have no low, or strobe, and still needed a mount for it.

This light is interesting.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 11:23:09 AM EDT
[#23]

The hardware looks fantastic. Small, ergonomic, nice rail attachment. Output is fine for cqb/home defense distances. But the software - the selection of output - is a big problem. A weaponlight should never select the output level using the same method that turns it on. Same problem with using multi-mode handheld flashlights like Fenix(LD/PD series)/4Sevens(non-tactical quarks)/Solarforce and even the Surefire E2DL/E2L/6Px/G2x lights. It limits the capability of the light based upon the modern thought of weaponlight use.

The modern technique holds that you flash-and-move, flash-and-move, etc. You do not leave a weaponlight on, you use it only momentarily until threats are neutralized. But with lights like this, when you flash it the second time, it will change modes depending on the passage of time. If it's too soon, you'll flash high and then flash low. If enough time has passed, you'll get high-output both times. If you haven't disabled strobe, you might mean to flash it twice or turn on low mode, and end up with a continuous strobe. It also seems to use an electronic switch rather than a mechanical switch - that would also mean that the light drains battery power even when "off" unless you loosen the head to disable the light.

Here's my test: flash the light 5 times as fast as you can - did it flash the exact same chosen output 5 times? If not, it should not be used as a weaponlight, it's a utility light. And I have nothing against Inforce, I apply the same test to Surefire, Streamlight, Fenix, 4Sevens, etc. The Surefire E2DL is NOT a proper weaponlight despite its popularity, because flashing the light too quickly changes outputs. The Streamlight TLR1-s is NOT a proper weaponlight, because flashing too quickly changes modes. The Streamlight TLR1 without strobe is a proper weaponlight, and so is the Surefire VTAC L4, because you KNOW you will ALWAYS get the same high-output no matter how quickly you flash the light.

From the Inforce user manual:

WHITE LED SWTICH OPERATION –

Lever pointing forward, white dot visible (A)

• For momentary mode, press and hold the button/pressure switch for more than 1/2 second; when

released, the light will turn off.

• For high power mode, press the button/pressure switch once. If high power is on for more than 2

seconds, the next press of the button will turn the light off.

• For low power mode, press the button/pressure switch twice in two seconds.

• For strobe mode, two quick presses of the button/pressure switch when in high power, low power

or off settings will activate the strobe.

So you can't flash the light for less than 1/2 second (that'll turn the light on, not flash it), nor can you flash the light on high more than once every 2 seconds. Also, the conditions for activating low and strobe seem to overlap - what's the difference between "press ... twice in two seconds" and "two quick presses?"
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 12:05:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The hardware looks fantastic. Small, ergonomic, nice rail attachment. Output is fine for cqb/home defense distances. But the software - the selection of output - is a big problem. A weaponlight should never select the output level using the same method that turns it on. Same problem with using multi-mode handheld flashlights like Fenix(LD/PD series)/4Sevens(non-tactical quarks)/Solarforce and even the Surefire E2DL/E2L/6Px/G2x lights. It limits the capability of the light based upon the modern thought of weaponlight use.

The modern technique holds that you flash-and-move, flash-and-move, etc. You do not leave a weaponlight on, you use it only momentarily until threats are neutralized. But with lights like this, when you flash it the second time, it will change modes depending on the passage of time. If it's too soon, you'll flash high and then flash low. If enough time has passed, you'll get high-output both times. If you haven't disabled strobe, you might mean to flash it twice or turn on low mode, and end up with a continuous strobe. It also seems to use an electronic switch rather than a mechanical switch - that would also mean that the light drains battery power even when "off" unless you loosen the head to disable the light.

Here's my test: flash the light 5 times as fast as you can - did it flash the exact same chosen output 5 times? If not, it should not be used as a weaponlight, it's a utility light. And I have nothing against Inforce, I apply the same test to Surefire, Streamlight, Fenix, 4Sevens, etc. The Surefire E2DL is NOT a proper weaponlight despite its popularity, because flashing the light too quickly changes outputs. The Streamlight TLR1-s is NOT a proper weaponlight, because flashing too quickly changes modes. The Streamlight TLR1 without strobe is a proper weaponlight, and so is the Surefire VTAC L4, because you KNOW you will ALWAYS get the same high-output no matter how quickly you flash the light.

From the Inforce user manual:
WHITE LED SWTICH OPERATION –

Lever pointing forward, white dot visible (A)

• For momentary mode, press and hold the button/pressure switch for more than 1/2 second; when
released, the light will turn off.

• For high power mode, press the button/pressure switch once. If high power is on for more than 2
seconds, the next press of the button will turn the light off.

• For low power mode, press the button/pressure switch twice in two seconds.

• For strobe mode, two quick presses of the button/pressure switch when in high power, low power
or off settings will activate the strobe.

So you can't flash the light for less than 1/2 second (that'll turn the light on, not flash it), nor can you flash the light on high more than once every 2 seconds. Also, the conditions for activating low and strobe seem to overlap - what's the difference between "press ... twice in two seconds" and "two quick presses?"

Well said.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 2:46:52 PM EDT
[#25]
America is a wonderful country. We are free to have our opinions on everything from the weather to weapon lights. Please remember what works and maybe the standards for one may not be the same as others.

Personally for my hd needs having the light come on in longer bursts or having it on permanently will work just fine and dandy.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 5:35:39 PM EDT
[#26]
advertising, non paying dealer/IP ...........................dpmmn
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top