Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2011 1:58:37 PM EDT
Some background: I hadn't put much priority on decent lights for my own personal weapons at home. A TLR1's mounted forward on the rails were more than adequate for my uses.
We don't get issued weapon lights until we go through RFI for deployment, so figuring out what I want while working against the clock is not a adequate for me,  I want something I can use now to train with.

I'm not as interested as TOP OF THE LINE lights right now, but finding the right mounting solution & position is most important to me.

Here's the rifle I'm working with:
M4 w/ issued eotech512 & KAC 6" railed foreend,
Peq15 mounted as far forward on the top rail as possible.
personally owned Stubby QD VFG

The sacrificial training light I'm wanting to mount is a well abused/loved light from home.
Surefire 6p LED defender with a standard tailcap.

My thoughts: I'm not very excited about having tape switches and wires running around the the forward rail. My 6" of rail real estate is fairly limited, but I would deal with it if the solution gave me Peq15/white light control without having to move my weak hand around too much.

One of the things that caught my attention is the Surefire SR07 dual switch (It lets you control your peq15 and your light from one strip of a switch)

Surefire SR07

So I'd need to run out and get a pressure switch cap (I think the Surefire XM will work for my 6p, but I'm not sure, input needed)

Then finally we get to the mount. I'm leaning more toward the Larue  offset mount, that gives me a bit more room on for my hand on the fore end with the VFG.. especially if I end up going with a pressure tape system.

I'm torn on mounting the light on the left or right side of the weapon. Need some input here on this one
11 O'clock position as you look down the rifle, that would put the pressure switch on the outside of the weapon as it's slung.. controlling the light/IR with my index fingers.
1 O'clock position.. that puts the switch on the inside of the rail, I'd be controlling the light/IR with my thumb, the switch being bumped against me and turning on while it's slung is a concern.
***If I decide against the pressure switch, I'll mount the light in the 11 O'clock position so I can activate it with my thumb.

Cost isn't a huge issue, we'll end up being issued surefire lights so I'd rather stick with surefire components to give myself more options in the future, but I'm trying to work with the light I have at the moment (if at all possible).

My other option is I stick the 6p in the Larue offset mount and roll with it as is, but with the peq15 present that would be slick to have simple access to everything without shifting my hands around and guessing too much in the dark.

What I'm looking for is some advice (or some minor name calling )on what the best equipment solution would be in this situation. Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 3/6/2011 5:09:38 PM EDT
[#1]
A great setup is a Surefire E2D LED in a Viking tactical mount - its fairly inexpensive and the mount places the light at a very ergonomic angle. The light is an awesome light as well. I've been running one and love it. (I also have on for sale on the EE if your interested )
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 6:20:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Check out the ElZetta M60 lights. The best light I have found. I use their 1500 mount. It is popular lately to mount the light in the 10:00, or 2:00 position. I prefer a 6 o'clock mount. This way it can be used the same for either right handed shooters or left handed. Some complain about barrel shadow in this position but it isn't any thing major, at least not for me. YMMV
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 6:15:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Might want to give this setup a try.

Should work well with the limited rail space you have with a carbine length system.

Its a Surefire G2 in a DangerClose Offset mount and Tango Down rail covers w/pocket for the DBAL switch.

Link Posted: 3/8/2011 10:53:25 AM EDT
[#4]
If you get some LaRue Index Clips and use the ones with the wire rentention, you won't have to worry about wires getting snagged on your carbine from pressure pads.   They will be held tight to your rail with no loose ends.
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 8:56:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Use small zip ties to secure your wires.  It is a better idea for someone in your situation.  There are tons of dedicated SureFire weapon lights on the EE for $150 and under.  RFI will issue you the 952 or the newer 952V.  I prefer lighter ones, but free is free.

The SR switches are good.

What's your job? MOS?  That'll help get an idea for usage recommendations
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 9:59:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 10:03:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Viking tactics L4 with Viking tactical mount works awesome for me.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:19:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Check out Elzetta Tactical products. I Just purchased a ZFH1500 mount for my AR. The mount attaches to the FSB and I mounted a surefire G2 in it.  Its a great product, they also have mounts that attach to a a rail.

\http://www.elzetta.com

Rail mount-

http://www.elzetta.com/zormFAQ.htm
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 1:27:20 AM EDT
[#9]
The xmo7 will work. And I went with the LaRue mount.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 2:07:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If you get some LaRue Index Clips and use the ones with the wire rentention, you won't have to worry about wires getting snagged on your carbine from pressure pads.   They will be held tight to your rail with no loose ends.

This, and I use a Tango Down pressure plate pad on my rails.

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top