Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/4/2011 7:27:30 PM EDT
This is my first post but this forum seems professional so here goes...

I've been toying with a Colt LE 6920 I want to buy off a family-friend with Mako drop-in rails and a Surefire M961XM07 rail-mountable flashlight. The problem I have is that the Surefire, when mounted on the rails, is loose, even when trying the light on all 4 sides of the rails and ensuring that the light's screws are completely tightened. There is a non-Mako gangster grip already on the rails that secures tightly. What rememdies are out there, short of replacing the rails, light, or picking a different weapon, in order to securely mount the light on the rails?
Link Posted: 2/4/2011 9:13:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a Surefire M951 which is similar to your light and it's hard to imagine it wouldn't tighten up on a quality rail.  Between the two, Surefire flashlight and cheap Mako rail, I'd bet the rail is your problem.  You could place a piece of material in the channel of the light mount when mounting to take out some of the wiggle room for a temp fix.  Pictures of the rail and light /mount would be helpful.

Link Posted: 2/5/2011 7:07:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Did you tighten the thumb nuts using your fingers only or did you use a quarter (or other tools that is harder than your fingers) to tighten them?  Are the treadings on the screws OK?

ETA: just like m4pointman said, if all failed, a shim is your friend - at least for a temporary fix.
Link Posted: 2/5/2011 9:00:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/5/2011 9:10:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/5/2011 12:40:26 PM EDT
[#5]
The packaging identifies the rails as:
MD-QR1
aluminum quad rail
handguards for AR15/M4

It does not however look like any of the 4 posted pictures
Link Posted: 2/5/2011 12:53:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Given your suggestion, I tried a quarter on the Surefire's thumbscrews. While I did get another quarter turn out of the screws, the light is no tighter on the mount. Currently searching the house for shimming material...
Link Posted: 2/5/2011 8:25:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/5/2011 8:33:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/6/2011 8:42:37 AM EDT
[#9]
It's the smaller photo on the right, with the shark's dorsal fin on one end.
Link Posted: 2/19/2011 7:57:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Hey Mako- any plans on getting back to me....?
(emailed [email protected] a while ago and didnt get a response- was that the right address to write to?)
Link Posted: 2/19/2011 10:23:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/20/2011 5:20:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Okay great because I was worried that after our dialogue slowed that the issue was forgotten about. Definitely check into the discounted deal on your NFR model, because with great one-on-one customer service like this I'm not about to give up on Mako products.
Link Posted: 2/20/2011 5:43:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/2/2011 5:32:25 PM EDT
[#14]
hey there, any word yet?
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top