Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/3/2010 5:41:15 AM EDT
Is anyone else having problems with their TLR-3 mounts, specifically on handgun rails?

I bought two over the last three years- put one on my AR, and one on my 2005-vintage .40 P99. The one on my AR seems to be staying put (for now), but the one on my P99 keeps flipping off under recoil. I finally cranked it down as hard as I could with that screwy coin-slot-only screwhead, and put it away for two weeks. Last night I pulled it out to go to the range and the light dropped right off- the plastic rail on the screwhead side failed.

Per the instruction I got with the unit, I'm using the "C" key. Just looking at the design, it failed exactly where I would have predicted (at the bottom of the vee molded into the plastic). Is this the reason everyone buys the metal TLR-1s and not the plastic -3s?
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 12:04:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Hmmm...
I have one on a Saiga 12. No problems thus far, but all I've put through the gun since mounting the light is about 100 rounds of bird-shot.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:55:39 PM EDT
[#2]
You put it on TOO TIGHT.

You probably bent a portion of the polymer rail on the pistol.  Obviously this does not happen on the long guns, as they tend to have metal rails versus the plastic on pistols.

I did this to my FNP-45 the other week, and had to take a bit of file to the slightly deformed rail.   Just tighten it as much as you can with a coin, then give it another 1/8 to 1/4 turn with some pliers.   Of course, use some blue loc-tite.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:03:58 AM EDT
[#3]
the reason i got rid of my TLR3 was the battery, everything else about it seemed fine..
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:56:13 AM EDT
[#4]
No issues with the TLR-3 on my pistol yet.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 10:08:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
the reason i got rid of my TLR3 was the battery, everything else about it seemed fine..

What sort of problems did you experience?
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 1:49:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:28:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

airman100, did you figure out what the problem was? Could it have been too tight?

I guess by definition, it broke because I put too much tightening force on it and I did that because it kept flipping off the P99 rail.

The rail of the P99, wasn't damaged, either- it looks like the rail on the P99 is undersized. My P99 measures 0.820 edge-to-edge. My 3rd gen Glocks measure 0.835 (four samples) and the rails on my ARs measure 0.830 - 0.0832 (YHM, Daniel Defense, Troy).

If you look at the vee shapes on the TLR-3 jaws, there's a long ramp on the fixed side and a simple vee on the moving side. I think the sweet spot for maximum contact is probably in the 0.830+ range (following the spec, what a concept!). With an undersized rail, it probably doesn't have enough contact surface to fight recoil, and the light will eventually flip off. Or, you can overtighten it, get to to stick, and have the rail fail two weeks later

So the moral of the story- don't put the TLR-3 on an undersized rail. Streamlight does state in their instructions this light should work on a P99, with a particular slot lock block.

I wonder if I went "Red Green" and put a single thickness of electrical tape on the rail under the mount on a new one it might stay on..
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:16:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:47:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Poor longevity,... or something else?

airman100, did you figure out what the problem was? Could it have been too tight?

To answer both questions, the battery life seemed shorter and more random in duration. I used genuine good batteries (can't remember brand but not cheap Chinese) and it seemed to just die sitting around turned off every couple batteries.

Also, the battery was hard to find in my area
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 8:34:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
To answer both questions, the battery life seemed shorter and more random in duration. I used genuine good batteries (can't remember brand but not cheap Chinese) and it seemed to just die sitting around turned off every couple batteries.

Also, the battery was hard to find in my area

That doesn't sound good.
I'll keep an eye on mine.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top