Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/29/2009 5:41:41 PM EDT
A long time ago I bought a Surefire 6P, and immediately put a 120 lumen upgraded lamp in it.  I was really impressed with it, so I bought a couple of G2s when they came out.  I put one on my SBR, one in my car, and one on night stand.  A while latter after a nasty financial disaster (Divorce), I saw one of my fellow "Hometown Members" posting about the Malkoff conversions.  I really wanted one, but the money wasn't there for anything, let alone a better light.  I followed his post regarding the Malkoff, and I was impressed to say the least.  He kept posting pictures of his new upgraded Surefires lighting up a wall.  

Fast forward to a month ago when I finally had a little extra change.  I couldn’t for the life of me remember the name on the LED Conversion unit that my fellow ARFCOM member was using, and since my membership had expired, I couldn't do a search that far back.  So, I clicked on one of the banners up top, and ordered a LED Conversion from TNVC.  I got it, and put it in one of my Surefires.  I was impressed.  It had a very nice, bright white light.  It had lots of spill just like Victor had told me it would.  It was advertised to have 235 lumens, and it sure seemed pretty damn bright.  A few weeks passed and one of the guys in our hometown forum asked about the best light for his AR for less than $200.  So I told him what I had, and the our fellow ARFCOM HTF member posted up about the Malkoff M60.  It suddenly dawned on me that I hadn't gotten the conversion unit I was thinking of.  Curiosity got the best of me.  I had to know what the Malkoff was really like.  So I ordered one, and I'm impressed with it as well, and I love the fact that it's made in the USA.  It too has a nice, bright white light.  I had to compare them, and I've come to the conclusion that they are both pretty damn good.  I’m pretty happy with both of them.  It seems that the Malkoff may be a little more powerful, while the TNVC conversion seems to spread the light around.  The TNVC conversion may have an edge when it comes to lighting up the whole room.  The Malkoff may have the edge when it comes to searching your back yard, or shining it in someone’s face.  Then again, I wouldn't want either of the lights being shined in my face.  The construction of the Malkoff is very solid.  The TNVC is contructed like a conventional lamp with the exception of the LED.   Either way, they are both pretty damn good products, and I'm glad that they are available.

Edit:  I forgot to mention one of the main reasons I was so interested in these conversion units.  The batteries cost $1.95 each, and the run time in the Surefire 6P or G2 with 120 lumen lamp was 30 minutes.  The runtime with these conversion units is over 2 hours, and your getting over 200 lumens of light.

Malkoff on the left, and the TNVC on the right.

I'm not trying to say one is better than the other.  You'll have to make that decision on your own.  I just thought that if someone was in the market for one, they'd like to hear some kind of comparison.

My experience with these conversion units is limited.  What kind of experiences have you guys had with these conversion units?
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 12:40:41 AM EDT
[#1]
I just got to play with my newly purchased TNVC G2/CREE Q5 lamp assembly today.

I'm very impressed by the output to say the least.

I have no experience with the Malkoff, but from reading comparisons on the candlepower forums, they're both excellent lamp assemblies with very similiar output, but they just differ a bit in the throw/spill balance.

I was tempted to get the Malkoff, but I needed the G2 anyway and the TNVC combo seemed like a no-brainer.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 1:42:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the comparison. I've been considering one of these conversions.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 2:21:25 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a Malkoff in a 6P body and like it very much.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 7:02:53 AM EDT
[#4]
I've got a bunch of different Malkoff's and love all of em.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 7:22:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 8:18:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have a Malkoff I have been fiddling around with. I'm not convinced yet that the supposed extra lumens over my Surefire e2d led makes any real world difference. The surefire seems to have a more uniform throw indoors and I haven't noticed a huge difference outdoors but I haven't tried them both at longer distances yet.

It's true that it's hard to really see much difference in light power.  I have a Rail Road track that's behind my yard, so I have quite a bit of distance to shine these lights.  The difference is not real easy to tell, but after a 20 minutes of comparing, I finally picked up on the slightest difference, and it wasn't much.

DBAR
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 9:43:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 9:50:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 10:19:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yeah my Surefire is two stage For what I bought it for-to carry in the mountains in area where I could not carry a firearm anyways-it was fine but it's useless as a weapon light.  

Agree. I hate the 2 stage.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 5:43:04 AM EDT
[#10]
DBAR
Does the malkoff have a tighter bright spot and throws further outside?
I need a LED dropin for a 6P and it will be mostly be for outside use.
RRA15
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:11:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
DBAR
Does the malkoff have a tighter bright spot and throws further outside?
I need a LED dropin for a 6P and it will be mostly be for outside use.
RRA15

Yes, in my opinion it does have more of it's light concentrated, and it seems to give the light longer range.  I hope I understood your question correctly.  I'm trying not to say one is better than the other, but you should ck out http://www.elzetta.com/

DBAR
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:36:56 AM EDT
[#12]
DBAR
Thanks, thats good to hear.  Since I already ordered two from BrightFlashlighs.    RRA15
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top