Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2009 8:40:04 AM EDT
I picked up a 6920 today and now have some questions.  I want to mount a light on it and maybe a vertical forgrip I have from a previous gun.  What are my options without guying a rail system?  And if you were to get a rail which one would be a good choice?  Oh ya I am the guy who asked what to look for when looking at a 6920 last night, so thanks again for all the answers that I got.  It helped out a lot when holding it today.  

Pics of the different setups would be nice.
Link Posted: 9/25/2009 8:48:30 AM EDT
[#1]
I know there are rail section you can buy to mount on the hand guards. Similar to the ones for the MagPul MOE set ups..
Link Posted: 9/25/2009 9:04:34 AM EDT
[#2]
I would suggest getting the quad rail.  There are lots of options, DD, Troy, Larue, KAC, Surefire.  I went with the Larue.  The only problem you'll have it you go with them is that you have to take the FSP off to get it on.  It you want the regular slip on quad rail, look at DD, KAC RAS, or Surefire M73(this one is one of the cheapest and is very solid).
Link Posted: 9/25/2009 9:15:06 AM EDT
[#3]
For a simple solution that doesn't require any rail system at all, I've been looking really hard at the Elzetta mount. Keeps the handguards clear for your hands and seems robust for how light it is. Only downside is I believe it would require removing the side sling swivel on a 6920.

http://elzetta.com/zfh1500.htm

Jory
Link Posted: 9/25/2009 9:46:59 AM EDT
[#4]
On my 6920 I use a Troy 7" MRF-DI rail, it's not a free float but drops in easily and is VERY solid, for $150 it's well worth it.  The DD Omega is probably the most popular drop-in rail, it is free floated, but runs about $250.
If all you want to mount is a light, you can buy a piece of rail that attaches directly to your plastic handguards, but if you want to mount a VFG I recommend a railed handguard.

Link Posted: 9/25/2009 9:47:55 AM EDT
[#5]
There are certain rail pieces that you can buy that just screw onto your plastic hand guards. That's what I did when I bought my AR a couple of weeks ago and it works really well. Here's a picture of what it looks like with it on:

http://www.sewsecret.com/piecemaker/ar-15/ar-15-3sm.jpg

It's a little hard to see at this angle, but if you need a better view, I can try to take a picture of it tomorrow.
Link Posted: 9/25/2009 9:53:42 AM EDT
[#6]
I was looking for a while and decided to get the MI FSB mount.  I am very happy with this setup:

Link Posted: 9/25/2009 10:47:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Mounted mine on the Magpul Moe handguard with a bolt on rail.

Link Posted: 9/25/2009 10:48:05 AM EDT
[#8]
One thing to think about with the newer Colts is that they are now using some kind of material like silicone to attach the heat shields to the handguards. You can probably remove it with a little work, but you can't just pop the shields out like with other rifles. And the add-on rail pieces require you to get under the heat shield to attach them.

If anyone has any experience removing the gunk Colt is using to secure the shields, it would be good to know what you used or how you did it ...

Link Posted: 9/25/2009 10:56:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/25/2009 11:01:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
For a simple solution that doesn't require any rail system at all, I've been looking really hard at the Elzetta mount. Keeps the handguards clear for your hands and seems robust for how light it is. Only downside is I believe it would require removing the side sling swivel on a 6920.

http://elzetta.com/zfh1500.htm

Jory

+1 if you don't want to buy a rail.
Link Posted: 9/25/2009 11:11:09 AM EDT
[#11]
This is what I did with my 6920.
Daniel Defense 9.0 omega rail
Vltor low profile gas block
Magpul rail guards
Not the cheapest way to go but the route I chose. I have a light for it but no mount yet. I will see what I find at the gun show tomorrow.

Link Posted: 9/25/2009 12:18:17 PM EDT
[#12]
I think I'm leaning towards the rail system since I already have the vfg and surefire with mi mount.  I like the price of the troy that Captains has and the price sounds decent.  What rear buis does the hive like?
Link Posted: 9/25/2009 3:21:27 PM EDT
[#13]
I'd go ahead and get a rail system especially if you have a vfg ready

if you do get the rail system I have a couple of these Viking Tactics mounts for my light and my laser systems on my Colt 6920  I like them and the price tag isn't high.  I haven't had them loosen up from recoil or any issues once so ever.

I recommend them  

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/v/vspfiles/photos/Viking%20Light%20Mount%20Black-2T.jpg

and for a rail system if you don't want to change out the gas blocks like rufus did I'd recommend the Daniel Defense Omega 7

though rufus that Omega 9 looks nice
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 8:19:11 AM EDT
[#14]
tag
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top