Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/11/2009 8:35:07 PM EDT
On a significant number on rifles with an IR laser mounted, such as this picture from RustedAce, the laser is mounted hard up against the front sight.  Why not mount it several slots to the rear to minimize the effect on the balance and swing weight of the rifle?

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 5:34:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Mounting the laser, light, etc far forward minimizes the effect of light scatter or reflection off other parts of the gun (handguard, sights, barrel, etc).
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:21:16 AM EDT
[#2]
It did not occur to me that would be a sufficient problem with a high quality laser to dictate mounting position.  I have a cheap laser pointer somewhere, I'll give that a look.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:53:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
It did not occur to me that would be a sufficient problem with a high quality laser to dictate mounting position.  I have a cheap laser pointer somewhere, I'll give that a look.

That DBAL also has an IR illuminator on it, if I move it back too much there is a shadow from the rail in the IR light its giving out.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:21:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That DBAL also has an IR illuminator on it, if I move it back too much there is a shadow from the rail in the IR light its giving out.

Thanks, that answers my question perfectly.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top