Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2009 11:33:44 AM EDT
Hey i might sound cheap, but i dont have much money and was wondering if I should get the cheap pressure switch for my G2 surefire or if the CAA pressure switch is worth it? The ebay one is about 17 bucks and the other is about 40 something I think. Does anyone have a cheapo one? Do they last? Thanks for your opinions!
Link Posted: 4/22/2009 4:01:36 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd like to know this too. There's also the SureFire UE07 for their Scoutlight series XM07, but it's 100+ bucks - as I understand it, though, it'll work with the G2/6P as well. I'll buy it if it's worth it, but at 5 times (for the CAA) and 10 times the price (for the SF) it better be 5 or 10 times better/stronger/tougher/tacticool.

Link Posted: 4/23/2009 9:06:23 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm a fan of trying out cheap solutions and posting the results.

I recently bought a $10 Solarforce ebay clickie tailcap for a G2, as I've got several G2s and a 6P with twisty tailcaps that aren't optimal for weapon use.  I figured it was worth a try, since the SF tailcaps are $30-40.

It arrived a few days ago from Hong Kong (long shipping time, as usual), and it doesn't work at all on any of my G2s.  It works on my 6P, and my guess is they sent me the wrong one, though generally 6P and G2 tailcaps should be interchangeable.  I believe the problem is that the tailcap isn't making contact with the G2's metal sleeve insert, while a 6P has good contact as soon as you screw it on, due to the metal body.

Anyway, it's a good, solid click action - just a little grittier than a SF tailcap, but not bad.  The big problem is that it's a reverse clickie - a soft press doesn't turn it on until you've clicked it on.  Then, soft press turns it on and off.  This is the opposite of what you want from a tac tailcap, of course, and they didn't mention it in the ebay ad (and I didn't ask).

So, as always, there's a reason the cheap stuff is cheap.  It might work for you, it might not.  With CAA gear, I've had good luck with some of it, and not so good with others.  It might be worth a try for a switch, but you'd want to test it pretty thoroughly before committing it to defensive use.

Link Posted: 4/24/2009 10:58:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'd like to know this too. There's also the SureFire UE07 for their Scoutlight series, but it's 100 bucks - as I understand it, though, it'll work with the G2/6P as well. I'll buy it if it's worth it, but at 5 times (for the CAA) and 10 times the price (for the SF) it better be 5 or 10 times better/stronger/tougher/tacticool.

The UE07 from the Scout will NOT work with G2, 6P, etc. Totally different threads. You want XM07 instead.

Most ebay switches are junk: the electrical resistance of long, coiled cord is too high and causes a noticeable brightness drop when used with incandescent bulbs (especially high current ones like P61). They might work OK with regulated LED drop-ins... but there is a reason why Surefire uses short, straight cables in their pressure switches.
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 6:21:21 PM EDT
[#4]
a lesson ive learned and forgotten too many times, buy cheap, buy twice.  tooo many times
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 11:02:45 AM EDT
[#5]
never go cheap on life saving tools. if you get a cheap pressure pad and it fails when you need it, you lose.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top