Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/3/2009 12:39:20 PM EDT
I'm looking at maybe getting a G2 LED for an AR rail mount application since I can get one fairly cheap at my base's BX.  Anyone use this on a carbine?  Good, bad, indifferent?
Link Posted: 4/3/2009 1:08:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I have one in a LRue mount and one in a G&G mount, and I carry one on my duty belt.   I like that light.
Link Posted: 4/4/2009 11:37:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have one in a LRue mount and one in a G&G mount, and I carry one on my duty belt.   I like that light.

On the rifle - do you you the push button tail cap or a tape switch?

edit:  Oh, forgot ask - it looks like the light body has a textured rubber coating.  Is it rubber or just a textured metal tube?  No issues with it going in a standard mount?
Link Posted: 4/4/2009 7:57:20 PM EDT
[#3]
The G2 is molded plastic not textured rubber.
Link Posted: 4/5/2009 9:56:51 AM EDT
[#4]
The G2 is also slightly larger than the standard 1" light (mine is 1.025" in the center of the tube and 1.3" closer to the head and tailcap), and won't fit well in some mounts.  Several manufacturers offer mounts specifically for the G2, others are flexible enough to fit, and some won't fit at all.

Elzetta, VTAC, VLTOR, and LaRue all offer G2 sized or flexible mounts.

You definitely want to check before buying a mount that it works with the G2.

Link Posted: 4/9/2009 8:11:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The G2 is also slightly larger than the standard 1" light (mine is 1.025" in the center of the tube and 1.3" closer to the head and tailcap), and won't fit well in some mounts.  Several manufacturers offer mounts specifically for the G2, others are flexible enough to fit, and some won't fit at all.

I have a G2 in a Vltor mount on a carbine and it likes to slip out of place after some shooting. A little electrical tape around the light's body keeps it in place pretty good though.
Link Posted: 4/9/2009 8:25:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a G2 in a Vltor mount on a carbine and it likes to slip out of place after some shooting. A little electrical tape around the light's body keeps it in place pretty good though.

This is why I encourage people to spend the extra $10 and get a 6P. I have heard a lot of people have issues with the plastic body being "spongy" and being hard to keep in the mount. Also, the 6P will heat-sink better, and doesn't weigh much more at all. 1-2oz I think, max.
Link Posted: 4/26/2009 4:07:21 AM EDT
[#7]
I would say for a weapon mounted light it works very well and I will be getting one for my LMT but right now I just use one in my weak hand for home defense along with my Glock 17, I find it much better to not have a weapon light for home defense so you dont have to aim at everything you want to look at.. but weapon lights also play there role, just not for HD..
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 10:12:49 AM EDT
[#8]
I have one in a Viking Tactics mount, and it's solid. It will mar the flashlight body slightly, but doesn't cause any structural damage. I'm happy with the setup.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 11:15:22 AM EDT
[#9]
I had a G2L in a Viking Tactical mount.  Sturdy, works like you'd think it would.  However, I didn't like the bulky width it added to my rifle.  I am now using a SureFire X300 on the bottom rail, and I like it much better.  

That said, there is nothing wrong with the G2L setup, it is a solid light.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 2:09:09 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is why I encourage people to spend the extra $10 and get a 6P. I have heard a lot of people have issues with the plastic body being "spongy" and being hard to keep in the mount. Also, the 6P will heat-sink better, and doesn't weigh much more at all. 1-2oz I think, max.

Get yourself the lighter and cheap VTAC mount if that's an issue.  The screws on the older models, and the adjustable system on the new VTAC mount makes it the best mount for

I've tried to break my G2 and mount on purpose, banging it on my door frame.  Ending up splintering the door frame, whoops.  A machined aluminum light mount is overkill in my opinion.

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 7:26:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Good info guys. I had the same question. Looking to upgrade the Bushy that's been dormant for awhile.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 10:22:06 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm running a G2 LED with a shock isoleted bezel upgrade in a surefire mount.

Good cheap weaponlight option.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top