Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/12/2008 6:43:13 PM EDT
So yesterday night I had an epiphany.. I heard a whole bunch of pops outside (which could have been were fireworks outside), and I figured I should check it out. Now I was 100% sure it was fireworks, and that the branches snapping and leaves rustling in the woods outside was most likely just a spooked animal.... but I wasn't willing to bet on getting 100 on a test of 101 points .
I looked outside in the darkness, and I realized... I'm fuckin blind. I can't see anything, and had some 'thing' or 'someone' been out there, I was done.

Now at the moment I'm strapped for cash, but I feel pretty sure I need a weaponlight. If I don't have one? It won't bug me.... until I actually need it, then I'm screwed.

So my plan? I have 2 AR's, but I'm kinda low on cash at the moment, neither AR's have rails. I think I'll buy 2 surefire G2's, and tape them on the end of the handguards, in the 2 or 3 o'clock position. Not very HSLD but I'll have lights...
My dad suggested cheap flashlights he has but, IMO I'd rather not find out if it'll handle weapon recoil only to find out the answer is 'NO' when I need it most
Link Posted: 11/12/2008 6:50:09 PM EDT
[#1]
You'd be better served by a handheld light, and running it thumb activated by the support hand, under the handguard.
Link Posted: 11/12/2008 6:51:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Elzetta flashlight mount.

Get a G2 LED. Better for recoil.

Should come to about $90.
Link Posted: 11/12/2008 6:56:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
You'd be better served by a handheld light, and running it thumb activated by the support hand, under the handguard.

I'm not a fan of having it separate from the weapon.

ETA: crappy pics of the weapons

The 16in AR has no bayonet lug (I'm in a banstate ) So I dunno about the elzetta mount.
The 20in Ar normally doesn't have the bipod on it, that's only for range use. It's my favorite AR though . Top and front heavy... how I like my rifles, vehicles, pistols, and my women

ETA2: Would there be anything wrong with a maglite?

Link Posted: 11/12/2008 7:41:32 PM EDT
[#4]
This is a great setup:

G2 in a scope ring, mounted to a $17 mount made by streamlight, found here

It has worked really well.

Link Posted: 11/12/2008 7:47:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Check this thread:
G2 w/ Cree LED on sale!

Click on the link in the thread and you can get a G2 Nitrolon for ~$28 delivered. Further down the page you will see another link to get a Cree LED lamp conversion kit for $12.40 delivered! $40 total for a good light with a great run time and very durable.

Then you can get this: cheap barrel flashlight mount

Cheaper than dirt also sells a barrel flashlight mount for around $10 that also has three rail mounts at 3, 6, & 9 o'clock around the flashlight.

I like DallasLooterShooter's mounting solution, too. It allows you to position the light for easy thumb control.
Link Posted: 11/12/2008 8:18:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Check this thread:
G2 w/ Cree LED on sale!

Click on the link in the thread and you can get a G2 Nitrolon for ~$28 delivered. Further down the page you will see another link to get a Cree LED lamp conversion kit for $12.40 delivered! $40 total for a good light with a great run time and very durable.

Then you can get this: cheap barrel flashlight mount

Cheaper than dirt also sells a barrel flashlight mount for around $10 that also has three rail mounts at 3, 6, & 9 o'clock around the flashlight.

I like DallasLooterShooter's mounting solution, too. It allows you to position the light for easy thumb control.

I ordered 2 lights, thanks for the link
The upper that has handguards and not a float tube- they're DPMS glacier guards, so i'm not sure if they'll work.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 6:00:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Well the lights got here, so did the mounts! Here is the first AR, second one coming later:

ETA 2nd AR... she is one heavy sumbitch!

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:16:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://img93.imageshack.us/img93/5462/1018081620iy2.jpg
http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/7901/1018081618kl2.jpg

The 16in AR has no bayonet lug (I'm in a banstate ) So I dunno about the elzetta mount.
The 20in Ar normally doesn't have the bipod on it, that's only for range use. It's my favorite AR though . Top and front heavy... how I like my rifles, vehicles, pistols, and my women

hey, uh.... did you install that Aimpoint mount backwards intentionally?
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 9:08:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://img93.imageshack.us/img93/5462/1018081620iy2.jpg
http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/7901/1018081618kl2.jpg

hey, uh.... did you install that Aimpoint mount backwards intentionally?

It's a PS22 ,

Its why I put on the irons. It's a co-witness system, but when in doubt the irons are right and the dot is wrong . That being said, putting it on the original way (As shown above), I would not have been able to fit it on the upper.

I'm probably going to replace it with a sturdier cheap red dot sight

Oh and a pic:

Thanks to the Arms swan sleeve, It's all there. My arms rings are coming on monday, the day I turn 21

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top