Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/25/2008 7:37:33 AM EDT
Has anyone used the Streamlight Thunder Ranch Urban Rifle Illumination System?  Any commnets on brightness, weight mounting on a standard stock ar15 carbine?
Link Posted: 4/25/2008 10:01:42 AM EDT
[#1]
I have the system with green filter. I really like it the weapon mount is soild and easy to use. The green filter is nice I didn't think I would use it but I do find it very usefull. The range with filter is good for about 50-75 yards without is  150+++ yards. It is a nice light I have not seen anything better of the money.
Link Posted: 4/27/2008 7:12:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got the Thunder Ranch system.  I love the light, hate the mount.  The light is very lightweight and illuminates a long distance.  The mount is very sturdy, robust and bulky.  Unless you plan to use the quick detach feature of the mount, I think it is too big and complex for a light mount.  I replaced it with a simple ring mount and found it works much better for me.
Link Posted: 4/28/2008 7:53:27 AM EDT
[#3]
I use the QR mount myself but if you don't use that feature I would also replace the mount for something more streamlined.
Link Posted: 4/28/2008 1:05:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Flashlight = "Thunder Ranch Urban Rifle Illumination System"?!

Link Posted: 4/28/2008 4:53:42 PM EDT
[#5]
The justably despised vendor "Botach" has a minimalist ring/clamp which can be used to attach a TL-3 to the short rail mounted on a handguard.

Paladin

second light down on the left.
Link Posted: 4/28/2008 9:21:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Any preference for the TL-3 package over the TL-2?
Link Posted: 4/29/2008 5:52:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Indoors the TL-2 LED provides enough light to ID and target the intruder, but won't blind them (or you either!).  Outdoors the TL-3 xenon throws very well and will work fine for disrupting night adapted vision.

The one thing I DO like about the bulky SL mount is you can have one light for handheld/belt use, and another light mounted.  Which one is weapon mounted can be changed to suit the circumstances.  Once the TLR-1 came out I retired the bulky SL mounts, but I would use them again without feeling disadvantaged.

Paladin
Link Posted: 5/1/2008 11:29:44 AM EDT
[#8]
I use the TL-2 with the shockproof bulb on one of my AR's. It works very well. I have never heard good things about the mount in the kit. I would probably just get the TL-2 oor TL-3 with the shockproof bulb and get a Daniel Defense mount.
Link Posted: 5/2/2008 9:59:26 PM EDT
[#9]
I have the kit.  I like everything but the mount.  Even then the mount does what it is supposed to, holds the light to your rail.  It is not all that big in its use, my only problem with the mount is that when mounted on the side of the rifle, I don't have a case big (wide) enough to hold the rifle.  So I have to have the light detached, and mount if quickly.  

The green filter is nice indoors or in confined areas.  In some rooms the white light can be a bit much, and its good for other times when you don't want to throw out so much light.  
Link Posted: 5/13/2008 12:33:14 PM EDT
[#10]
I have the Thunder Ranch rig on my carbine and have been happy with it. The TL-3 does throw out a LOT of light (211 lumens supposedly) and the mount, while a bit bulky, is bull-strong. Mine has survived several hard drops so far and hasn't loosened at all. I also like being able to remove the light easily to use for other things. It only takes about 3 seconds to remove the light and not much longer to put it back on.
ETA- You also mentioned mounting it to a standard set of carbine hand guards. I did it myself and it wasn't too much of a hassle, but you need to have some skill as a tool-user and pay close attention to what you're doing. You don't have to drill any holes as long as you mount it in the 6-o'clock position, but I wanted mine mounted in the 10-o'clock range so that I could manipulate the light with my left hand and so it wouldn't interfere with my sling.
As such, I had to remove the handguards, mark the desired mounting position, mark the position of the holes, and drill holes through the upper handguard AND heat-shield. The holes in the heat-shield were to be 3/8" in diameter, and a 3/8" drill bit really tries to bite and tear the aluminum. Take it SLOW, read and re-read the instructions very carefully so you can get it right the first time. If you are not good with tools, I would strongly advise you to find someone who is to do it for you.  
Link Posted: 5/13/2008 6:36:47 PM EDT
[#11]
I would right my own review but Deadeye Jack has done it for me.  I agree with everything he said, + it is the best mount/light combo for the $.  

Quoted:
I have the Thunder Ranch rig on my carbine and have been happy with it. The TL-3 does throw out a LOT of light (211 lumens supposedly) and the mount, while a bit bulky, is bull-strong. Mine has survived several hard drops so far and hasn't loosened at all. I also like being able to remove the light easily to use for other things. It only takes about 3 seconds to remove the light and not much longer to put it back on.
ETA- You also mentioned mounting it to a standard set of carbine hand guards. I did it myself and it wasn't too much of a hassle, but you need to have some skill as a tool-user and pay close attention to what you're doing. You don't have to drill any holes as long as you mount it in the 6-o'clock position, but I wanted mine mounted in the 10-o'clock range so that I could manipulate the light with my left hand and so it wouldn't interfere with my sling.
As such, I had to remove the handguards, mark the desired mounting position, mark the position of the holes, and drill holes through the upper handguard AND heat-shield. The holes in the heat-shield were to be 3/8" in diameter, and a 3/8" drill bit really tries to bite and tear the aluminum. Take it SLOW, read and re-read the instructions very carefully so you can get it right the first time. If you are not good with tools, I would strongly advise you to find someone who is to do it for you.  
Link Posted: 5/14/2008 7:48:48 PM EDT
[#12]
If you're looking at the TL-3 I'd recommend the new streamlight super tac.  I just saw it the other day at a booth streamlight had, got to try it out a bit.  It's led, a little shorter than the TL-3 and all TL-3/TL-2 type accessories go with this light.  Indoors it appeared brighter than the TL-3, don't know the exact spec's on it.  It definitely had a sharper beam.  

I know what my next light to replace my TL-3 is going to be.  
Link Posted: 6/20/2008 9:49:06 PM EDT
[#13]
I just got one of these kits in the mail today, it was on sale for 93 shipped so thought I would check it out. I purchased it to replace my G2 that I have been using and I must say it is waaaay brighter than I had ever expected. Definitely a good buy for the price.
Link Posted: 6/24/2008 9:05:49 PM EDT
[#14]
I wonder if they are going to offer the illumination kit with the Super Tac now instead of the TL-3?
Link Posted: 6/25/2008 6:57:48 AM EDT
[#15]
kbahus,

where did you buy yours?

thanks,
Link Posted: 6/27/2008 7:31:49 PM EDT
[#16]
http://www.opticsplanet.net/streamlight-thunder-ranch-urban-rifle-illumination-system-88108.html
Link Posted: 6/28/2008 9:15:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Ah, good ole Opticsplanet.  

thanks,
Link Posted: 6/29/2008 9:54:43 AM EDT
[#18]
I got mine from eBay for $89 shipped.
Link Posted: 7/1/2008 1:02:32 PM EDT
[#19]
i orderd mine w/ shock proof bulbs. first time i fired bulb broke.
ordered shock proof bulbs. if your buying just the tl-3 (i didnt like streamlights mount and have no need for a filter) MAKE sure its shock proof. i use a gg&g mount tht is very streamline w/ there spacer. most mounts you wiil find are 1 inch but the tl-3 is .90 inch. the light is extreamly bright. got mine for 70.00 (extra 15.00 for the new bulbs). personaly i would recomend to ANYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm52/sworley98/Picture048.jpg

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm52/sworley98/Picture021.jpg
Link Posted: 7/1/2008 1:04:26 PM EDT
[#20]
i orderd mine w/ shock proof bulbs. first time i fired bulb broke.
ordered shock proof bulbs. if your buying just the tl-3 (i didnt like streamlights mount and have no need for a filter) MAKE sure its shock proof. i use a gg&g mount tht is very streamline w/ there spacer. most mounts you wiil find are 1 inch but the tl-3 is .90 inch. the light is extreamly bright. got mine for 70.00 (extra 15.00 for the new bulbs). personaly i would recomend to ANYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm52/sworley98/Picture006.jpg

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm52/sworley98/Picture021.jpg
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:14:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Just a questions guys - but would any of you who have an extra SL mount for the TL3 laying around, would want to sell theirs to me?

Thanks

Keith
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top