Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/1/2007 9:20:16 AM EDT
What options are there for a weapon-mounted IR laser for lowly "civilian"?  
From whom?  
There are no federal laws against it, correct?  
About how much do they cost?  
What is the size of the dot at 100yds?

I am researching the options but it looks like it will be the PVS-14 + helmet mount + Da Torch + 3x mil adapter + weapon mount + suppressor.  Now, I just need to investigate the IR laser options.  Depending upon these answers perhaps I would choose an IR laser instead of the suppressor.  

Or, in the ARFCOM tradition, get both!  (in 2019!  ha)

Thanks all!
dawg_killer
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 10:25:01 AM EDT
[#1]
In my limited experience, a head mount NV device and an IR laser is much less limiting and is preferable to a weapon mounted NV combination.

IR laser sights are legal to own, the problem is most manufacturers won't sell to civilians.

Right now the only readily available unit is from Hayes Research, and runs around $500.  You hit the greatest weakeness of this with your post- there have been reports of dots with 9" diameter size at 100 yds and the company says that is normal.  It doesn't sound like their customer service is the best, but everything I've read about the unit says that it is well built and small.

Other than that, you can buy a cheap knockoff on ebay of one of the insight technologies lasers (very questionable quality), or watch the EE for a real insight unit which will sell at a pretty good premium.

The wolverine lasers built by Avenge sounded like a great product, but he got raided by the gov, and although he keeps saying he is coming back, I haven't seen any evidence of that yet.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 10:35:45 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

The wolverine lasers built by Avenge sounded like a great product, but he got raided by the gov, and although he keeps saying he is coming back, I haven't seen any evidence of that yet.

I wish he would, I have more work for him.  Completely satisfied with my Pentagon MD2.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 11:43:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Tim is going to get clear of this shortly. Lawyers cost huge amounts of money. We are hoping by the first of the year if THEY don't drag this out.

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 12:55:38 PM EDT
[#4]
OST for sure
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 4:18:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Sounds like I will wait for "Wolverine".  What is this website address?

thanks,
dk
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 7:00:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Wait for the Wolverine

If you can't wait the EE has them on occasion....but they are costly

If that doesn't work Hayes Research has IR for $600 if I remeber right but the dot is said to be about 10 inches at 100 yards
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:18:52 AM EDT
[#7]
I thought we were going to leave the IR stuff in the Night Vision Forum instead of moving it here....?
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:28:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 5:30:34 PM EDT
[#9]
I guess the "IR" in the title was what fooled me.

Seriously, I'm only a consumer, but what possible use is an IR laser except in conjunction with night vision? And the origional post itself was clearly a night vision forum post imo. But I'm just a poster here; what do I know.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:18:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:35:11 PM EDT
[#11]
+1 for the Wolverine , I was lucky enough to get one from the last shipment before SHTF even though he was not acting outside the law  Great units w/ outstanding range...  If you can find/afford one, try an NVEC or an Insight. Those things are insanely nice.  I was just lucky enough to acquire an NVEC so after a I compare the two closely one of them will have to hit the EE so I can buy my nieces and nephews Christmas presents
I almost bought a hayes research offset until I read about the size of the dot at 100 yards.  At that point it is not even useful IMHO.  Yet another area where buying nice stuff is the ONLY way to go.  And unfortunately, especially w/ this crap, "you gotta pay to play."  $ $
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 5:09:08 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
+1 for the Wolverine , I was lucky enough to get one from the last shipment before SHTF even though he was not acting outside the law  Great units w/ outstanding range...  If you can find/afford one, try an NVEC or an Insight. Those things are insanely nice.  I was just lucky enough to acquire an NVEC so after a I compare the two closely one of them will have to hit the EE so I can buy my nieces and nephews Christmas presents
I almost bought a hayes research offset until I read about the size of the dot at 100 yards.  At that point it is not even useful IMHO.  Yet another area where buying nice stuff is the ONLY way to go.  And unfortunately, especially w/ this crap, "you gotta pay to play."  $ $

Speaking of.... how large is the dot with an NVEC at 100 yards?  

Thanks,
dk
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:23:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:13:06 PM EDT
[#14]
I HAD a Vital-2 unit last May, and I kick myself each time I go out for having gotten rid of it when I went to purchase my SMG.  The Vital-2 seems, to me, to be the nicest of all of them as an aiming device.  Perfect small dot that doesn't bloom at all, once again, I kick myself for parting w/ it.  If you get a chance at one of those jump on it.  The one I have now has variable "focus" in that it can go from aiming point to long range illuminator or short range flood illuminator w/ a turn of the bezel.  At the tightest focus, the dot on this one seems to still be a nice tiny spot out to at least 300 yards as that was the furthest I was able to test.  It did, however, cost more than my last gen 3
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 11:01:17 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
It did, however, cost more than my last gen 3

Ouch!
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 5:34:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top