Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2007 9:08:15 AM EDT
strategosforum.com/phpBBx/viewtopic.php?t=6221

You can now upgrade your Gladius with an inside the US, warrantied mod or buy pre-modded flashlights.  I ended up getting back charged $55 in customs duties by sending my flashlight to Canada to have it modded.  I have one of these in a Larue offset flashlight mount and it is the best weapon light I have used.  If you have a Gladius or Typhoon you need this upgrade.
Link Posted: 8/18/2007 3:19:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm interested. Anyone had this upgrade?
JR
Link Posted: 8/19/2007 7:05:16 AM EDT
[#2]
See: strategosforum.com/phpBBx/viewtopic.php?t=6246

He just got his back from Strategos, the US-based upgrade center.

I had 2 lights modified with the Seoul P4.  You are going to have to pry them from my cold/dead hands.
I have 4 more lights I am going to send in....(You can't have too many Gladius' lights...hee hee)

The better emitter takes any sense of the light being a bit anemic in output in certain situations, especially outdoors.  In fact, ever since the Gladius fielded, I generally used a 9-volt incandescent outdoors when trying to locate people and kept my Gladius in reserve or for use as the distances decreased.  No more.

As stated in the post I just referred to, 2 things I immediately noticed was the additional throw and the additional "punch" of the Strobe.

When I first had the lights modded I took my best two 9-volt incandescent lights (with standard sized reflectors) out into a dark area and stood in the back of a pick-up truck out into a area with little ambient light.

I carefully noted the distance I could see objects in general, objects in detail, and overall coverage side-to-side (corona diameter)

My 9-volt lights were being matched or exceeded by the upgraded 2-battery/6-volt LED light.

So when you compare lumens per minute (runtime) at maximum output there is no comparison

You get 90 minutes of flat out full output performance with the Gladius
You get 30 minutes of flat out full output performance with a non regulated incandescent 9-volt.

3 times the full output with 1 less battery.

Not to mention, you still get 300+ hours (with quality batteries) at the lowest output setting. This lowest setting is extremely useful in a variety of settings.

I personally would like to see a Gladius with in a 3 battery configuration and a Li-Ion configuration....but that is out of my sphere of influence these days.

That being said, any LED flashlight the these new P4 or Cree emitters are going to provide you with a welcome increase in overall light output.

-------------------

I took these pictures from my house:

strategosforum.com/phpBBx/viewtopic.php?t=6152&start=0

Link Posted: 8/19/2007 12:15:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I just received my Gladius back.  I am NOT happy to say the least.  They poorly wrapped my light in bubble wrap. (bezel area was completely exposed and allowed to bang around inside large box.)  They did include my old LED in a small plastic bag.

Took gladius out of the box to see the work.  Everything outside looked ok.  Took one look at the reflector and it was gouged all to hell!  They put a HUGE set of scratches into my reflector!!!  I will post pics monday and will be calling them PROMPTLY.  I could not believe the shody "workmanship".  I was also disappointed to see that there were even MORE particles floating around inside my reflector area.  I would have thought they "might" clean the reflector area and glass....especially seeing as it wasn't right from the start.  For the money, I feel I got hosed.  NOT WHAT I expected to say the least!!!
Link Posted: 8/19/2007 2:51:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Let us know what it is like once they replace your refector.
Link Posted: 8/20/2007 12:39:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Wow.

Not good. They'll fix it, that I am sure of.

I sent this thread over to Strategos so they are aware of the issue.
Link Posted: 8/20/2007 1:14:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Here it is.

Link Posted: 8/20/2007 1:20:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't see anything....
That looks like the new reflector mod.....Channels the light around corners...

Seriously, Wow......Somebody needs to get some serious re-calibration at the upgrade facility....
What the heck over?

I just got off the phone with Lisa at Strategos customer service.
Her email address: [email protected]  
Give her your contact info.

Strategos toll free number is: 888-569-5444
Link Posted: 8/20/2007 1:33:54 PM EDT
[#8]
When I read your reply Ken, I thought you were serious that you couldn't see anything!  I guess my sarcasm meter is off a little lately.  Thanks for the number.  I will call them.

edit update:  Just got a call back from Lisa and the "team" will be addressing my issue in the morning and will be getting back to me.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2007 6:07:32 PM EDT
[#9]
I also contacted the owner of Atlantic Signal, Strategos Intl's' partner in this.
I made him aware of this thread. They are a bit perplexed as well.

This is the first among a fairly significant numbers of upgrades that there has been an issue.

Enough of that, things do happen, it's what you do about it when they do that matters.
They wanted to pass on the fact they will take whatever steps necessary to get your reflector replaced properly.

So everybody on the upgrade side of the house is aware of this issue.  Hopefully you have gotten a hold of Lisa or vice-versa and the light will be brought in and made right.
Link Posted: 8/20/2007 6:23:33 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I don't see anything....
That looks like the new reflector mod.....Channels the light around corners...

Seriously, Wow......Somebody needs to get some serious re-calibration at the upgrade facility....
What the heck over?

I just got off the phone with Lisa at Strategos customer service.
Her email address: [email protected]  
Give her your contact info.

Strategos toll free number is: 888-569-5444

Where did you learn to talk like that? Is that Six Sigma Speak? I heard a guy at the airport last week that was using almost those exact same words. It sounded a lot like Ted Nugent talking about Zumbo after he was thrashed by the Internet.

At any rate, that is piss poor work on the LED upgrade.
Link Posted: 8/20/2007 6:41:31 PM EDT
[#11]
How much for the mod?
Link Posted: 8/20/2007 7:18:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Which mod? Just the LED or the LED and custom reflector as shown above???

Here is the info on the mod:

www.order-gear.com/subcatmfgprod-nop.asp?0=973&1=1368&2=-1
Link Posted: 8/21/2007 12:43:39 PM EDT
[#13]
The key is get the customers light upgraded in timely, quality manner.

I have no idea how the scratched lens was missed and sent out but it was.  
It will be replaced with a new.  So that is water under the bridge

Atlantic Signal sent me pics of how they have been pack outgoing lights.

Here is a good example of how not to SEND the light - Received today by Atlantic Signal

They are going to document and photograph all incoming lights that have any scratches or damage and notify the customer prior to any upgrade work.

Ken Good the referee...
Link Posted: 8/21/2007 12:57:36 PM EDT
[#14]
I got my light back from Atlantic Signal.  No scratches on the reflector.  A few dust specks inside.  Not enough to affect performance, but more "bonus material" than the guy in Canada (who didn't add any).  That said, the US facility was really quick, warranties their work, and didn't tack on $30 in unexpected Customs charges when I followed their shipping instructions.  So I'm happy.
Link Posted: 8/21/2007 2:05:32 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
The key is get the customers light upgraded in timely, quality manner.

I have no idea how the scratched lens was missed and sent out but it was.  My thoughts exactly. That is why it was so frustrating...the apparent lack of care upgrading workmanship in my case.....which fortuneately now sounds like the exception.
It will be replaced with a new.  So that is water under the bridgeAgreed

Atlantic Signal sent me pics of how they have been pack outgoing lights.My came in a similar box(minus the funky tape) but the bezel area was left partially exposed out of the bubble wrap.  Not a big deal to me by any stretch as light was unaffected. Just added to the apparent lack of concern for my rather expensive light.

They are going to document and photograph all incoming lights that have any scratches or damage and notify the customer prior to any upgrade work.
I hope there is no insinuation that I sent my light to them with those scratches.  I sent the light to them untampered with & as received from the factory with the exception of a different colored tailcap switch which was a part of the defective tailcap issue. (diff. tan finish) I in fact took great care packaging the light(better than how I got it back) completely encasing the light in bubble wrap and filling the balance of the box with wrap so it didn't rattle around.

Ken Good the referee...

I am sure there is plenty of finger pointing going around Atlantic signal.....thus the pictures of how some lights are received....and the need to now document the condition of lights when they come in.  That is smart on their part to CYA....  I just hope they are accepting responsibilty for what happened and not passing it off on  damage due to shipping or some other absurd reason.(ME???!!?)  I mean, the reflector is in a SEALED bezel!

Sorry for the defensive mini-rant......

I understand that there are always Q/C issues with any business, it is how those businesses handle those issues when they come to light (pun intended) which determines what makes (at least in my mind) a great company.

I am thus far pleased with the reponse from Strategoes (sp?) to replace my damaged reflector, and will report back once I receive the repaired light.  It will be shipping back to them early next week as I need the light this weekend.  
By the way....played with the light last night for a while....scratched reflector and all.....and this thing is bright!!!

Hyperformer the consumer advocate for unscratched light reflectors and Q/C...
Link Posted: 8/21/2007 2:55:26 PM EDT
[#16]
I have no idea what actually happened, but in NO WAY am I inferring that your light was sent in with scratched reflector.  

Maybe there was an over-ambitious UPS driver that had aspirations of going into the LED flashlight upgrade business, unscrewed the bezel, scratched the reflector, panicked and then sent it on…..

I don't know you, nor was I there at AS, so everything is speculation on my part.
That being said, even if it was scratched (again I am NOT saying that it was), the scratched reflector should have been quite obvious, noted, you notified prior to sending it back out.  That is now been dealt with by AS.

My goals are these:

Get your light fixed 100% to your satisfaction in a timely manner.

Ensure it does not happen again by making the issue known to those that need to know.

Thanx for your patience and good-natured approach to this.
Link Posted: 8/21/2007 3:14:42 PM EDT
[#17]
glenn_r:

Glad you got your upgrade.

So you were hit up with "extra charges" as well.  When I originally sent my lights in to see how the P4 would perform in the Gladius, my neighbor to the North insisted that it was somehow my fault that I did not follow his instructions & I got hit with more than you did.  

I did not say anything publicly until he elected to throw me under the bus by making factually inaccurate statements about myself and my motivations for attempting to provide Gladius customers the best-of-breed emitters in their lights through a reasonable upgrade path.

As far as the extra fees; you are not the only one.  Quite a few people experienced the same thing and in large part that motivated me to see a US center stood up somewhere.

I just shot an email over to Atlantic Signal to remind them to pay particular attention to "bonus material" / dust on the reflector.

If anybody has any issues, I feel personally responsible to ensure that your issues are addressed as I started this ball rolling downhill...
Link Posted: 8/21/2007 4:32:21 PM EDT
[#18]
I did what he said and got charged $55 in customs fees.  I would not reccomend him at this point.  This upgrade is not worth $100+.
Link Posted: 8/22/2007 5:36:02 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I just shot an email over to Atlantic Signal to remind them to pay particular attention to "bonus material" / dust on the reflector.

If anybody has any issues, I feel personally responsible to ensure that your issues are addressed as I started this ball rolling downhill...

Ken,

I want to express my appreciation for your work on this.  You've done great good in getting these into the hands of people who depend on them every day.  The best light I've used, by far.
Link Posted: 8/31/2007 10:05:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Bump & Update.  Still working on some minor shipping details.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2007 7:02:07 PM EDT
[#21]
I received my upgraded Gladius 2 weeks after I sent it in.  At first I didn't think it was that much brighter than before the mod, then I looked straight into the reflector....wow!.  Now it's painfully bright.  I can't wait to try it out on some bad guys.
Link Posted: 9/12/2007 9:20:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Finally....got this thing shipped today.
Link Posted: 9/15/2007 12:20:57 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
strategosforum.com/phpBBx/viewtopic.php?t=6221

You can now upgrade your Gladius with an inside the US, warrantied mod or buy pre-modded flashlights.  I ended up getting back charged $55 in customs duties by sending my flashlight to Canada to have it modded.  I have one of these in a Larue offset flashlight mount and it is the best weapon light I have used.  If you have a Gladius or Typhoon you need this upgrade.

THanks for the info.  Just spent about an hour reading all the info I could find on the Gladius and Strategos upgrade/  Just placed the website order for a new one and am letting them upgrade it for me.  I have been a die-hard Sure Fire user for a decade; we'll see how this goes
Link Posted: 9/15/2007 12:46:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 9:21:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Bumpo Still waiting on getting light back repaired.  Called Strategos for un update and left message.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 8:16:55 AM EDT
[#26]
No call back yet.  Called again for update.  Still no Gladius.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 7:48:17 PM EDT
[#27]
how long does it usually take after placing the order with Strategos and letting them send it to get modded before you receive your light?  Mine has been ordered now for18 days and still no light.  Does it normally take over 3 weeks?
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 2:54:19 AM EDT
[#28]
I contacted Strategos and they stated they will not upgrade my Insight H2X Typhoon, they stated they are only upgrading the Gladius. I guess I will either have to upgrade it myself, or send it to Canada.

Still in search of more light output...

Link Posted: 10/4/2007 6:38:55 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I contacted Strategos and they stated they will not upgrade my Insight H2X Typhoon, they stated they are only upgrading the Gladius. I guess I will either have to upgrade it myself, or send it to Canada.

Still in search of more light output...

Man that sucks.  I have an LE friend with 2 H2X lights that wanted to get the mod done.  The love of money knows no bounds I guess.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 7:22:26 AM EDT
[#30]
I originally got mine back in under 2 weeks.  That was however, just about when they started doing upgrades and may now have a backlog of lights to be upgraded.  I did receive a few calls back from Strategos, and they are now apparently shipping my fixed gladius back to me.  They were very courteous and attentive.  It was just around 2 weeks, but mine already had upgrade and just needed damaged reflector replaced.  I'm curious to see how it turned out.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 7:26:27 PM EDT
[#31]
MPD142

The statement that Strategos will not upgrade the Insight H2X Typhoon is not accurate.

The correct statement is: Strategos will upgrade the Typhoon but the factory warrantee would no longer apply as Strategos does not have any direct relationship with Insight.

Link Posted: 10/4/2007 7:49:14 PM EDT
[#32]
When I called Strategos on 9-26-2007 and spoke with Tina(I think that was her name) she told me since Strategos is currently the brand manager for Night-Ops they will only upgrade the Night-Ops Gladius. When I specifically asked if they would upgrade the Insight H2X Typhoon since it was an identical light she once again stated they would only upgrade the Night-Ops branded lights since they were Brand Manager for Night-Ops and have no affiliation with Insight. I kindly thanked her for her time and the call was ended.

Not sure why I received this answer, if you state otherwise but I specifically in plain English asked two times and they refused my money both times.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 8:34:02 AM EDT
[#33]
There is no Tina at Strategos.
I believe there is a Tina at Blackhawk customer service.
If it was Tina at Blackhawk, she did not convey the proper information to you.

Strategos is running the upgrade program, not Blackhawk.

What number did you dial?  

Not being a rocket scientist, but having slept at a Holiday Inn Exress last nite, this might be the source of the communication problem.

Link Posted: 10/5/2007 9:50:12 AM EDT
[#34]
I dialed the number listed on the Strategos website.  1-888-569-5444 punched buttons to get transfered to the sales dept. Spoke with a female. I thought her name was Tina, not sure on that but I do know it was a woman.

I've since ordered the upgraded LED assembly and I'll probably end up replacing it my self. I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but it's not like soldering in a new LED is rocket science or brain surgery either.

Ben
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 10:28:56 AM EDT
[#35]
Can we get clarification on the correct number to call?  Lots of people have been asking me about the upgrade and where to get it.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 1:21:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Call Strategos: 1-888-569-5444

Don't ask for Tina

Holiday Inn Express Reservations: 800-261-9168
Basic Electrical Wiring Course Seminars available upon request.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 5:58:00 AM EDT
[#37]
LOL!  

Well, my case is now over.  Received my Gladius back yesterday.  It was packaged very well.  Light was WELL protected in bubble wrap and taped secure in the box so it would not bang around in there.

The new reflector looks great and there are no "particles" or dust in the reflector area any more.  This is what I expected to begin with.  Looks great.

Thanks to Ken Good for help getting my issue resolved (when he didn't need to), and thanks to Strategos for making things right.  

It looks as though Atlantic Signal has made changes for the better.  I did notice that they are notating the condition of the lights on their packing slips.  (notated my diff. shade of tan on tailcap and light body)  Good move IMHO.

If you are considering this mod, feel good knowing that IF there is an issue (there shouldn't) Strategos will take care of you.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 1:39:53 PM EDT
[#38]
What do you think of the output now that you have a light in good condition?  I have noticed that Fenix is claiming 175-200 lumens from their Lexeon Rebel 100 LED based lights and my Gladius is noticably brighter than my Rebel 100 Fenix.  I think the emitter output is estimated at 180 and the actual out the front figure is supposd to be closer to 160 lumnes for the modded Gladius.  The Gladius has more throw and overall output IMO.  I guess either manufacturers fib a lot or the Gladius is underrated.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:30:15 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
MPD142

The statement that Strategos will not upgrade the Insight H2X Typhoon is not accurate.

On September 8, 2007 at 11:25 I contacted Strategos again and spoke with Joe in sales. He once again stated they do not upgrade the Tyhpoon. I stand by my statment that Strategos will not upgrade the Insight H2x Typhoon being accurate.

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 12:28:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Sigh,

This sounds like the kids in the classroom passing the message around the room....
Joe is apparently not up to speed on the program...

As soon as I read the post that somebody was stating that Strategos does not do the upgrade on Insight lights, I contacted Vaughn Baker (President of Strategos) to determine if the policy had been changed as there was no previous restriction.

He stated that Strategos did and will perform the upgrade on the Insight Lights.

I just dropped an email to everybody at Strategos in an effort to get the message straight amongst everybody.

So you can stand by your statement but it would not be correct although I understand why you made it.
You were told twice by inside customer service reps that Strategos does not deal with the Insight lights when in fact they do.....

I would have thought everybody was briefed, but obviously that was not the case.

Link Posted: 10/10/2007 3:04:00 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
What do you think of the output now that you have a light in good condition?  I have noticed that Fenix is claiming 175-200 lumens from their Lexeon Rebel 100 LED based lights and my Gladius is noticably brighter than my Rebel 100 Fenix.  I think the emitter output is estimated at 180 and the actual out the front figure is supposd to be closer to 160 lumnes for the modded Gladius.  The Gladius has more throw and overall output IMO.  I guess either manufacturers fib a lot or the Gladius is underrated.

The beam is much more defined.  It is brighter....duh, right.  Comparing it to my TLR-1 in my basement @19 yards they are actually somewhat comparable to my suprise.  I am by no means an expert, but I guess I had thought the upgraded gladius would be much more noticeably brighter being rated at more than double the lumen rating.  

Am I missing something?  Is it unreasonable to expect twice the light...or is there a better way to see the diff....ie...more throw.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 3:22:35 PM EDT
[#42]
I know the orginal was about the same as the TLR-1 to me before the mod.  It was actually the closest light I had found to the unmodified  beam shape and brightness of the Gladius.  I had to try it post mod against a stock unit to really see the difference.  Using the Fenix as an example I could see a difference going from the rated 11 lumen low to 175 high but everything inbetween seemed so close as to not be a very big deal when I first got it.  11, 50, 100, 175 were the lumen output levels and they all kind of blended together.  It took me shining the light at something at about 40 yards to see how big a difference it made.  In close to me the 11 lumen and 175 lumen settings seemed only about twice as bright or something like that.  At range it is a HUGE difference though for each level.  In general it takes about double the light output to increase range by roughly 50%.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 7:07:32 PM EDT
[#43]
ahhh...I'll have to try the lights outside more.  
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top