Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/7/2007 10:26:25 PM EDT
TRL-1 vs M3 vs Glock weapon light.

Would like to hear what people have to say about these 3 models, how they are holding up?  Anybody having any problems? So far I've tried the TRL-1 ( mighty blue wonder ) and the Glock light. Plan on mounting to a Glock 21.

Thanks for the info

BT
Link Posted: 4/8/2007 5:19:26 AM EDT
[#1]
My M3 is durable.  I use to think it was bright until I got a SF X200.  I still use the M3 with my SIG..  It puts out a good amount of light to get the job done indoors.  No complaints.  As for the other two you listed:  

I hear the TLR is pretty good.  I've seen those at the range but never used one.

Glock light seems kinda bulky and weird to me.

my 2cents,

wolfpak (VA)
Link Posted: 4/8/2007 6:09:15 AM EDT
[#2]
I loved my TLR-1 but traded it for a Surefire 6P since dept policy changed.  It is a great light for the money.  Much better than the M3 IMHO and the Glock isnt worth it all.
Link Posted: 4/8/2007 10:20:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Like I said, I have shot with both the TRL-1 and the Glock light.

Both to me functioned great, both cast good light at night to engage targets at close range, although the blue light of the TRL-1 is something I just did not like, I found it did not cast as far a spot beam as the glock light, but it is a LED.

The Glock light functioned awesome, as it did what it was supposed to do. I just think they could of spent a little more time on cosmetics, To me it seems to be bulky and kind of fugly looking IMHO.  

Was just wondering how they all held up to abuse?

I think I am going to try the M3 for something different. Run it through it's paces and see how it holds up against the other two. Hell If i don't like it on my pistol, it can always make another back up light for the AR.

Rocksarge -  What makes the TRL-1 better then the M3 to you? just curious. Fit, function, beam?

Wolfpak - thanks for the input!
Link Posted: 4/8/2007 5:28:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I own two TLR-1’s. One is on my XD-9 which I fell in love with, so I added one to my M4gery as well. I think the TLR-1 is an excellent light for the money and have not experienced a blue tint to mine at all. In fact it is a very bright white colored light and with a very good throw.
Link Posted: 4/8/2007 5:56:09 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Like I said, I have shot with both the TRL-1 and the Glock light.

Both to me functioned great, both cast good light at night to engage targets at close range, although the blue light of the TRL-1 is something I just did not like, I found it did not cast as far a spot beam as the glock light, but it is a LED.

The Glock light functioned awesome, as it did what it was supposed to do. I just think they could of spent a little more time on cosmetics, To me it seems to be bulky and kind of fugly looking IMHO.  

Was just wondering how they all held up to abuse?

I think I am going to try the M3 for something different. Run it through it's paces and see how it holds up against the other two. Hell If i don't like it on my pistol, it can always make another back up light for the AR.

Rocksarge -  What makes the TRL-1 better then the M3 to you? just curious. Fit, function, beam?

Wolfpak - thanks for the input!

I noticed my TLR-1 was blueish. I changed the battieries and white, bright light again.

Bri
Link Posted: 4/8/2007 9:16:55 PM EDT
[#6]

I noticed my TLR-1 was blueish. I changed the battieries and white, bright light again.
Bri

Interesting, I'll tell my buddy that.

BT
Link Posted: 4/9/2007 12:02:16 PM EDT
[#7]
update:
So I called Brightflashlights to order a M3, after talking with him about the M3 and TRL-1, I decided to go with the TRL-1 model. All you guys with those TRL's can't be wrong.

On a side note, that guy is a super nice guy, first time I have talked to him. Took my order over the phone, and sending out today, so I should have it at my house by Wednesday. Now that is service.

BT out

edit for spelling
Link Posted: 4/9/2007 7:33:48 PM EDT
[#8]
+1 for Calvin at Brightflashlights
Link Posted: 4/10/2007 11:37:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Thank God you got turned away from the M3... its the biggest POS pistol light made.  It has levers made of plastic that will wear out, bend and eventually break, the focus mechanism can cause bulb failure, its incan instead of LED, it does not have good battery life, the focus is kind of crappy, etc.  It is bottom of the barrel.  The TRL-1 is brighter, longer lasting, better constructed, water proofed, more durable and has a simple but effective mount.  The M3X on the other hand is a great pistol light that rivals 9V Surefires for brightness.
Link Posted: 4/11/2007 1:02:16 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Thank God you got turned away from the M3... its the biggest POS pistol light made.  It has levers made of plastic that will wear out, bend and eventually break, the focus mechanism can cause bulb failure, its incan instead of LED, it does not have good battery life, the focus is kind of crappy, etc.  It is bottom of the barrel.  The TRL-1 is brighter, longer lasting, better constructed, water proofed, more durable and has a simple but effective mount.  The M3X on the other hand is a great pistol light that rivals 9V Surefires for brightness.

I found the beam on the M3 to be pretty good, but I agree with the other points of your assessment.  I have a TLR-1 on my carbine now.  
Link Posted: 4/11/2007 5:06:47 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
update:
So I called Brightflashlights to order a M3, after talking with him about the M3 and TRL-1, I decided to go with the TRL-1 model. All you guys with those TRL's can't be wrong.

On a side note, that guy is a super nice guy, first time I have talked to him. Took my order over the phone, and sending out today, so I should have it at my house by Wednesday. Now that is service.

BT out

edit for spelling

TLR-1

Paladin
Link Posted: 4/11/2007 5:44:29 AM EDT
[#12]

Link Posted: 4/11/2007 11:09:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Quib,

How secure is the thumb scew on thr TLR1?  Does it loosen up after x amount of rounds or does it stay pretty tight?
Link Posted: 4/11/2007 11:20:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/11/2007 11:40:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks TBS, I sure hope that a DG style switch will become available for the TLR1.  I know some remote switches have been released but I haven't seen them yet.

Link Posted: 4/11/2007 11:48:27 AM EDT
[#16]
I gave away my M3 after getting the TLR-1.
Link Posted: 4/11/2007 12:30:16 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Quib,

How secure is the thumb scew on thr TLR1?  Does it loosen up after x amount of rounds or does it stay pretty tight?

No problems to date on either weapon. I hand tighten the nut, then go about a ¼ turn using a quarter.

There’s also a write-up and comparison of the Streamlight vs. Surefire here on Military Morons. He mentions that the SF loosend up on him during firing.

Look under Weapons Lights. Streamlight TLR-1/SureFire X200A comparison
Link Posted: 4/11/2007 2:58:35 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
There’s also a write-up and comparison of the Streamlight vs. Surefire here on Military Morons. He mentions that the SF loosend up on him during firing.

That was for the original X200A. The design has long since been improved as he also mentions.
Link Posted: 4/11/2007 4:21:22 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That was for the original X200A. The design has long since been improved as he also mentions.

Thanks for bringing that to light. I still prefer the TLR-1 over the SF.  
Link Posted: 4/14/2007 10:00:58 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Quib,

The first range trip after I got it, I put 400 rds through my G19 with the TLR-1 attached, and it didn't loosen.

Mine's got a bright white beam, and has throw enough to make a positive ID on a target out to about 50 yds at night.

As soon as I can get another, I'll have it dedicated to my carbine, mounted the same way Quib's got his.
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 9:15:25 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
TRL-1 vs M3 vs Glock weapon light.

Would like to hear what people have to say about these 3 models, how they are holding up?  Anybody having any problems? So far I've tried the TRL-1 ( mighty blue wonder ) and the Glock light. Plan on mounting to a Glock 21.

Thanks for the info

BT

From what I have seen of the TRL-1, it seems pretty good, the M3 is a total piece of junk, and the Glock is ugly enough without adding that turd of a light Glock makes.

The Surefire X200B is the best though.

Link Posted: 4/15/2007 12:45:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Got the TRL-1 and love it. It is a very bright white. Got my buddy to change his batt's out and his is now a bright white as well. That is until he gets home. I think it is bringing the blue tint out in his paint inside his house. No tint outside, tint inside?

I do not know why I waited so long to get one. Now the only problem I have is all my other pistols do not have rails. I do not like the idea of selling them, so I guess I will be looking at buying some new hardware.

Mrs BT really liked it too, better then her pistol and hand held surefire, but is not willing to give up her Colt LW Commander 1911.

I will be buying another TRL-1 for my AR, I really like the idea of having it as a back up light.

BT out.
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 1:02:26 PM EDT
[#23]

The Surefire X200B is the best though.

+1 on the surefire.  It is the heat.
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 11:45:09 PM EDT
[#24]
They are both excellent lights but the X200 gets the nod for I think being built better.
If price is an issue the streamlight without hesitation.

Link Posted: 4/16/2007 4:50:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 5:09:02 PM EDT
[#26]
What Beer Slayer said,

MadDog

Link Posted: 4/18/2007 9:12:42 AM EDT
[#27]
TLR-1 without a doubt.  As has already been said, it's a great light for the money.  I've had it mounted on my G21 for over 200 rounds now without issue from either the gun or the light.  Easy to use, great beam, great cost...you get the idea.

I did hesitate to mount it on my carbine for personal neurotic reasons, however.  I just didn't like the fact I couldn't positively "disconnect" the light if I wanted to ensure it wouldn't go off if bumped accidently.  My SF light only required a turn of the tail cap to disengage.  Would this be a problem in reality?  Probably not.  But as I said, it's a neurotic issue in my head...
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 11:26:06 AM EDT
[#28]
I usually take my TLR off of my pistol for practice, but for those of you who leave it on do you have issues with powder residue on the lens?

If so, an instructor at my range told us the secret. put a drop of oil on the lens and rub it around before you shoot. After your done it wipes right off, along with the residue.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 9:10:35 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I usually take my TLR off of my pistol for practice, but for those of you who leave it on do you have issues with powder residue on the lens?

If so, an instructor at my range told us the secret. put a drop of oil on the lens and rub it around before you shoot. After your done it wipes right off, along with the residue.
On my G-19, it does build up a sort of gummy residue, but I wipe it off after every magazine.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top