Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/1/2006 2:50:00 PM EDT
I just got a Laser Devices Las/Tac.  Is it normal the laser dot to be not quite round (mine looks like a small line up close) and for there to be a little shimmering around it?

Other than that the laser looks great and is built like a tank.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 8:34:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Most lasers have small artifacts like that in my experience, even the expensive ones.  The best quality beam I have seen was a Surefire and it still had a halo of light in close.  Less expensive lasers will even have multiple dots.  Some shimmering halo can be from a smudge on your lens so see if you can clear it up some by spinnign a qtip on the lens.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 3:38:01 AM EDT
[#2]
I just bought a LDI OTAL and it's the same way.  I have never seen any laser be a perfect little circle.  It's completely normal and you got yourself a very good laser.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 4:07:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 4:15:30 AM EDT
[#4]
i believe that the shimmering you're referring to is a result of interference as the laser bounces off of slight irregularities within the area that is illuminated it recombines either constructively or destructively with the laser, once again perfectly normal.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 4:36:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies.

I never would have guessed a laser diode was rectangular.  You can see a square emitter in an LED, so that makes sense.

I did a thorough cleaning of the outside and inside of the cover lens.  I also Q-tipped the tip of the diode.  The biggest artifact is still there.  I think the artifact is in the lens of the diode.  There appear to be some "floaties" in the diode lens.

avengeusa - are "floaties" a normal part of manufacturing the lens of a laser diode?  I checked some LED lenses and it appeared to be normal for them.

Here's a very close up beam shot, about 10 inches:

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/8546/lastacbeamlw4.th.jpg

I'd say the beam shot makes the artifact look worse than it is.  My camera wouldn't register the artifact at 5 feet, though it is clearly visible in low light.  The artifact is not visible at night past 20 feet.

Tell me this is normal so I can let it go and put the laser on the rifle.

Link Posted: 11/2/2006 4:55:09 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Thanks for the replies.

I never would have guessed a laser diode was rectangular.  You can see a square emitter in an LED, so that makes sense.

I did a thorough cleaning of the outside and inside of the cover lens.  I also Q-tipped the tip of the diode.  The biggest artifact is still there.  I think the artifact is in the lens of the diode.  There appear to be some "floaties" in the diode lens.

avengeusa - are "floaties" a normal part of manufacturing the lens of a laser diode?  I checked some LED lenses and it appeared to be normal for them.

Here's a very close up beam shot, about 10 inches:

img221.imageshack.us/img221/8546/lastacbeamlw4.th.jpg

I'd say the beam shot makes the artifact look worse than it is.  My camera wouldn't register the artifact at 5 feet, though it is clearly visible in low light.  The artifact is not visible at night past 20 feet.

Tell me this is normal so I can let it go and put the laser on the rifle.

by "artifact" you mean defect, right?
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 6:14:54 PM EDT
[#7]
height=8
Quoted:

by "artifact" you mean defect, right? he
Now I'm thinking it is a smudge or scuff on the tip of the laser diode lens.  I can see it, but it won't Q-tip off.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top