Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/24/2006 3:37:58 AM EDT
I am running a Pentagon MS3R with tape switch, LaRue 9.0 handguards and Tango Down vertical foregrip.  I have the light attached to the very front of the handguards and the vertical grip near the rear of the handguards.  Nonetheless, I still have excess tape switch cord that kind of hangs in  mid-air between the front and rear of the handguards.  Seems like the cord is just waiting to get caught on something.

Has anyone else experienced this with a tape switch equipped light and what solutions have you found?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 3:44:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Small black wiring zip-ties through those nifty little holes in your LaRue handguard.

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:49:28 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Small black wiring zip-ties through those nifty little holes in your LaRue handguard.

I have done this in the past and melted the cord (as it was touching the rail).
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:49:24 AM EDT
[#3]
The heat from the barrel is my main concern.  I was thinking about taking some black silicone tubing (maybe the 3.5mm i.d.), slitting it lengthwise and then encasing the tail switch cord in it before zip tying it to the handguards...

Silicone tubing is used in car engines and is extremely heat resistant.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:16:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I mold the pliable cord so it tucks in behind the Rail covers.

Note: The portion of cord running along the rail "Channel" is now insulated with 1/4" of 100 MPH Tape. It is currently
at the correct width were the cord portion actually pops in to the channel between the rail and cover. More importantly, the tape saves the cord from melting:

This is how it should look from the side:

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:28:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Iron,

I like you method.  Thanks for sharing it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 10:50:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:58:29 PM EDT
[#7]
I used the zip ties, but since I have the light on an ARMS removable mount I made a U shape with the excess cord along the barrel of the flashlight itself.

That way if I need to remove the light from the weapon, or the tailcap to replace batteries, I don't have to cut the ties every time.

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:05:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks again for all the good suggestions.  I ended up putting a couple notches in the edges of my Magpul rail covers and running the tail switch cord between the underside of the rail cover and the handguard.  It looks clean and the heat generated will not be sufficient to damage the wire.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:46:32 AM EDT
[#9]
IronBalaclava,

What did you use to hold the pressure switch to your
Fore grip?  Where can you buy it from?

Thanks, Frank

edit... Damn, searched the whole damn house for a piece of black elastic, none!
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:38:05 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
IronBalaclava,

What did you use to hold the pressure switch to your
Fore grip?  Where can you buy it from?

Thanks, Frank

edit... Damn, searched the whole damn house for a piece of black elastic, none!

It's the super secret SEAL/Ranger/Delta Force technique of cutting bicycle inner tube bands.

Now that I've leaked this confidential information to the public my life may be in danger...
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:51:54 AM EDT
[#11]

It's the super secret SEAL/Ranger/Delta Force technique of cutting bicycle inner tube bands.

You mean cutting a piece of the actual inner tube?

I found one of my daughters hair rubberband thingies I'm useing for now, but I am still
in search of something better.

Frank
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 11:41:34 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

You mean cutting a piece of the actual inner tube?

I found one of my daughters hair rubberband thingies I'm useing for now, but I am still
in search of something better.
i5.photobucket.com/albums/y184/frankeva/100_2924.jpg

Frank

Yes, cut the inner tube to whatever length you need to slide over the vertical grip and tape switch and then you're GTG!
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 11:11:03 AM EDT
[#13]
I just zip tie mine through the TD VG holes plus as a bonus the zip tie made my TD VG rock solid where before it would move a little from side to side

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top