Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/23/2006 10:14:32 AM EDT
well i need a light for my bushy, and ive been looking at pentagon lights, so whats the difference between xenon, luxeon, and the multi LED lights.

whcih is the brightest, which is the best for the price, what mount is the best

im limited to a $200 range, or i would get a surefire

someone help the light newb out
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 11:33:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Get an X3 Xeon in a daniel defense offset mount. Make sure it either comes with a clickie tailcap or buy it separately.

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 11:53:22 AM EDT
[#2]
how many yards will that go out to???
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 11:53:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Cant really find a reason to get a Surefire over a Pentagon if money is an issue for that application.  Multi LED is short range (very short) very wide beam.  Better for a utillity light than for a weapon.  The only reasons I can think of to get the Xenon is price and if you want to use an IR filter with it.  Technology is not there to get equivalent range in 9V version though.  If you need over 40-50 yards go 9V Xenon.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 12:51:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I collect Pentagon pictures. Look here for inspiration....

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 2:26:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:29:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I use L2's for CQB carbines and X3's for longer range rifles.  Either light will suit your needs just as good or better than a Surefire (considering the price.)  Your light choice will be dictated by what you plan to use your Bushy for.  Home defense or close up work makes me pick a LED every time for the durability.

The Daniel Defense mount in the pic is a hot seller from what I see.  I hear much praise about it.  I'm planning on getting one similar to the DD shown made by LaRue.  Can't go wrong with either one.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:33:26 PM EDT
[#7]
bushmaster patrolmans carbine
eotech, matech back ups, YHM 4 rail, first samco VFG

short distance ranch rifle, but i want a light for longer distance

might not be legal for hunting or what not, but i use it as a defence rifle......

i like the dd mount  lookin at an x3
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:02:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I've got a MS3R with both the Xenon and LED heads.  The LED is great indoors, but I haven't had a chance to try it outside yet.  The Xenon is nice, too.  Both are very well focused.  I actually think I prefer the MS3R to the M900a I also purchased recently!  Pentagon is definitely worth your time and money.

I believe the X3 is the same as an MS3R, just doesn't come with a built-in mount.

Give BrightFlashlights a call.  Good customer service and he doesn't laugh at you if you put your batteries in backwards.  (Maybe he waits until he's off the phone!)
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:41:33 AM EDT
[#9]
 Where are "PENTAGON" lights made??? USA or overseas ???

Thanks for any info!
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:00:48 PM EDT
[#10]
They are made in America.  Burlingame, Ca to be exact.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:08:50 PM EDT
[#11]
LED technology has already passed Incan (Zenon, Halogen and other gases) technology, beam throw and spill are better and the LED's will last virtually forever.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:34:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Get X3 Xenon (hard anodized). With vertical grips, you can either use

-VLTOR mount and pressure pad switch
-DD off-set mount and push button tail cap switch (default)

Both comes out to be about same in terms of $$$.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:04:45 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
LED technology has already passed Incan (Zenon, Halogen and other gases) technology, beam throw and spill are better and the LED's will last virtually forever.

Only for 6V not for 9V by a long shot.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:36:25 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I don't entirely agree. LED technology may become more advanced, but I have yet to see a single LED emitter that has the raw power of a light in the Surefire M6 class. The most powerful 5 watt LED emitter I'm aware of, and it's pretty much vaporware as far as getting one, is only rated at 249 lumens, max output. They still have some catching up to do.

Beam throw and spill are as much dependant on reflector shape and texture, as they are on the light source and power source itself. And LED's, in my opinion, still don't produce the quality of light, as far as color is concerned, that a good incandescant light does. I've seen white LED's with many different tints to them, some of them less than desirable.

LED's do last a longggg time, and they sip on batteries compared to incans. They will get better.

I own both, and both do have their place.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:52:58 PM EDT
[#15]

I'm thinking the Hard-anodized X-3 is what needs to go on my LE6920 with a VLTOR light mount.

These seem like a lot of bang for the buck.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:15:13 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Only for 6V not for 9V by a long shot.

Those lights he was referring to were 2 cell lithiums 6v
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:19:13 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't entirely agree. LED technology may become more advanced, but I have yet to see a single LED emitter that has the raw power of a light in the Surefire M6 class. The most powerful 5 watt LED emitter I'm aware of, and it's pretty much vaporware as far as getting one, is only rated at 249 lumens, max output. They still have some catching up to do.

Beam throw and spill are as much dependant on reflector shape and texture, as they are on the light source and power source itself. And LED's, in my opinion, still don't produce the quality of light, as far as color is concerned, that a good incandescant light does. I've seen white LED's with many different tints to them, some of them less than desirable.

LED's do last a longggg time, and they sip on batteries compared to incans. They will get better.

I got an E2L (led)rated at 30 lumens that outshines E2D (incan) that is rated at 65 lumens. Would not have known it until I tried it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:02:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Here is mine. You want it ? It's for sale ( the light is not the rifle) It's on the EE board right now
Link to light

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:04:08 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Here is mine. You want it ? It's for sale ( the light is not the rifle) It's on the EE board right now
Link to light

i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/EARRNHARDT3/4963fae4.jpg

Why selling? You don't like it?

Inquiring  minds want to know.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:09:56 PM EDT
[#20]
I just got my self a M1 Garand last weekend at the Gun show and i need to pay for it now so a toy has to go to pay for another new to me toy. and my credit card is screaming !!!! LOL

As for the light i just got it and i can't tell you that much about it excepet it is super bright  and don't hold to close to your skin it gets very hot real fast. It looks cool on my rifle. I really don't want to get rid of it but i need to to pay for the Garand i got
E3
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:18:38 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm with you. In my opinion, LED is brighter if you're looking into it (as in more intense... for emergency vehicle lighting and such, especially the latest LED stuff from Whelen) but I prefer Xenon for quality light downrange where it matters with a weapon mount light for shooting purposes. I had a Surefire X200A and our department issued M3's. I sold my X200A because I liked the light thrown by the M3 better. I wish Surefire would make an aluminum housed Xenon light like the X200... Loved the housing, didn't care for the light it projected. Too bluish for my tastes and didn't seem as intense as the M3 downrange.

Fwiw, I went with the Surefire M900A for my AR. Playing with it indoors in total darkness and outside last night with the lower power lamp assembly in it I could light up my whole 40 X 50 shop in the back yard with it from about 40 yards well enough to identify a threat anywhere around the shop. Haven't tried the ultra hight output lamp yet, and won't until I get some spare batteries, but I can only imagine how bright that thing will be.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 10:55:37 AM EDT
[#22]
My setup from Brightflashlights. Simple, yet effective, all for less than $120.00.

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 2:04:34 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm with you. In my opinion, LED is brighter if you're looking into it (as in more intense... for emergency vehicle lighting and such, especially the latest LED stuff from Whelen) but I prefer Xenon for quality light downrange where it matters with a weapon mount light for shooting purposes. I had a Surefire X200A and our department issued M3's. I sold my X200A because I liked the light thrown by the M3 better. I wish Surefire would make an aluminum housed Xenon light like the X200... Loved the housing, didn't care for the light it projected. Too bluish for my tastes and didn't seem as intense as the M3 downrange.

Fwiw, I went with the Surefire M900A for my AR. Playing with it indoors in total darkness and outside last night with the lower power lamp assembly in it I could light up my whole 40 X 50 shop in the back yard with it from about 40 yards well enough to identify a threat anywhere around the shop. Haven't tried the ultra hight output lamp yet, and won't until I get some spare batteries, but I can only imagine how bright that thing will be.

You will be disappointed with the small bezel on the M900 an HO lamp.  Its really not much brighter but has a larger hotspot.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 8:13:41 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Get X3 Xenon (hard anodized). With vertical grips, you can either use

-VLTOR mount and pressure pad switch
-DD off-set mount and push button tail cap switch (default)

Both comes out to be about same in terms of $$$.

Is there a reason that you can't use the tape switch with the DD mount?
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 6:33:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top