Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2006 5:45:04 PM EDT
I was wondering if the tacm is worth it or should I go for something else ?I can get a tacm with mount for 137.00. Someone told me a spec ops is better than tacm and is less. I'm leaning on the tacm. don't really want to spend more than 150 for light mount and pressure switch.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:17:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't have any experience with tacm but I do know that surefire has really crappy product support.  I've sent them 2 emails about a faulty switch and they have yet to reply... for 3 months so far.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:21:03 PM EDT
[#2]
i have to coment on SF as I have many lights from them and had had to contact CS & they have been great try calling them they will give you a RMA # imedality or resolve the issue while your on the phone
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:06:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I gotta couple of TACMIII lights as well as some SUREFIRE and INSIGHT units.  They all work well.  Sure, the TACM's are NOT sexy, they are made of some pretty darn durable plastic, and they don't have the "high speed/low drag" factor, but they work, throw the same lumen values as SF 6 volters with the P60 bulb, and don't cost a fortune.

Biggest negatives are the switches.  I hate tape/membrane switches, they are fragile and I hate having cables and wires hanging from my rifle to snag on stuff.  Both my units, which are older TACM units, have a twist cap on the back to activate.  You can push on the cap to get a momentary beam, but you have to push hard and keep the pressure on to keep the beam on.  The current units have a real nice momentary push button on the back cap.  I might have to upgrade mine.

Go ahead and buy the TACM lights.   They are damn bright and just about indestructable.  They just don't have the "hey I have the same rig that Seal Team 6 uses" factor.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:31:19 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I don't have any experience with tacm but I do know that surefire has really crappy product support.  I've sent them 2 emails about a faulty switch and they have yet to reply... for 3 months so far.

Dude, call them.I had a Z59 switch go bad.I called Surefire,and had a new switch in the mail box 10 days later.No charge, no questions asked.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:15:02 AM EDT
[#5]
I've had a TACM light and while it wasn't bad, a G2 with a scope ring is just as good, if not better, and MUCH cheaper.  I think the TACM lights are overpriced for what you get.

SureFire's product service has been fantastic for me.  I've had one defective battery issue that Surefire resolved by sending me two new ones, no questions asked.  I've also had reason to test their customer service a few other times as well and it's great.

You might also look into the Pentagon lights.  You can get one much cheaper than the TACM and they are supposed to be good from what I've heard.

The TACM lights aren't terrible, although their tape switches suck, but there are better options for much less money.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:26:40 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I was wondering if the tacm is worth it or should I go for something else ?I can get a tacm with mount for 137.00. .

OMG1

$137!!  is that with or w/o the vaseline.  Damn I got my bullet proof aluminum Surefire 650 + mount for less than that .

Get the G2 for $30 it's pretty much the same light as the TACM (I've had both - sold my TACM) but you get Surefire quality and parts availability.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:43:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:24:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:56:45 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Definitely call them.  I had switches on a C2 and 6Z go out.  They sent me new ones, no questions asked.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:03:49 PM EDT
[#10]
I have two TACMIIIs, I purchased them at the same time and I would never buy another.  A investment I regret.
One sits in my knife box unused, the other has a membrane switch and is intermittant.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:42:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the info. Its seems the tacm is overpriced and not worth it. think i'll call brightflashlights and maybe go with a pentagon or surefire combo like he said.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 12:15:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Has anyone used one of the current TacStar weapon lights?  A few years ago, it was the only less expensive competitor to the TACMIII.  I've had one on my Bushmaster housegun for years without any troubles.

The current model is obviously different.  My TacStar looks a lot more like a SureFire 6P, but the new version is less spartan.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top