Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/7/2006 12:05:33 PM EDT
OK - I have a client that gets Streamlights at wholesale and I am going to swap out some work for one.

Sooo - I want something that is similar in size to a AA Maglight. I am looking at this one:

www.opticsplanet.net/streamlight-thunder-ranch-illumination-system-88107.html

Any other suggetions?

And before you recommend a Surefire or something else, I cant get those in trade at wholesale prices So its not an option.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:33:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I warn you right now, you are about to contract another wallet shrinking disease!

You should try getting the Thunder Ranch RIFLE Illumination kit, which supplies the new "shock proof" TL-3 xenon light, and includes a rail and mount for Arf use.  As a second light, a TL-2 LED is pretty nice, but you should also look at the 2L3W Tasklight with dual output levels.  It's a little large for a 2 cell light, but having the choice of 80 or 20 lumens is neat.

The TL-2 LED in your opticsplanet reference is a great light, in and of itself.  I just think you will ultimately need a pair of dependable lights, and one of them should be a 9 volt "blaster" like the TL-3.  HTH.

Paladin

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:35:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I just ordered a TL-3 LED light. Brighter than SUREFIRE's equivalent. It should be interesting
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 2:00:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I have one of the 2D Streamlights with the LED/Bulb combo's in it...and it's great!  I know it's bigger that what you are looking for......but I just thought I would chime in and tell eveyone that they are great lights for the money.  
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:37:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Check out the Strion.  Nice light.  Thicker than an AA Mag, but 80 lumens (bulb).
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:35:20 AM EDT
[#5]
My company just bought us the Jr. Luxeon led lights. Almost exactly same size as mini mag but about 30 times better. Tailcap switch and super white light that really hurts when put in eyes.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:28:25 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
OK - I have a client that gets Streamlights at wholesale and I am going to swap out some work for one.

Sooo - I want something that is similar in size to a AA Maglight. I am looking at this one:

www.opticsplanet.net/streamlight-thunder-ranch-illumination-system-88107.html

Any other suggetions?

And before you recommend a Surefire or something else, I cant get those in trade at wholesale prices So its not an option.

Thanks!

Did I read the discription right?  It says the Thunder Ranch model is only 42 lumens?  I have little exposure to Streamlight products so I cannot give a constuctive opinion on their product line.  Tactical minimum is the 60-65 lumen range.  If it is in the 80 lumen range, it might be a bargain buy at the price you say is available to you.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:13:56 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I have little exposure to Streamlight products so I cannot give a constuctive opinion on their product line.  

That is unfortunate you would feel compelled to provide input about something you do not know about.  The OP did NOT mention the word "tactical", so why are you trying to reframe the thread as such?

The TL-2 LED is a fine all purpose light for civil uses.  Of course, it does not meet the theoretical 65 lumen "standard" for OFFENSIVE BLINDING purposes.  But except for that artificial benchmark, in all other areas the TL-2 LED is a great light.

It throws almost as well as a 6P, the defacto hand held light standard for the last decade.  But it has a tighter, whiter hot spot that is more disturbing to your eyes when looking into the beam.  I.e. 42 lumens of LED is not far, if at all, behind the 6P for blinding ability.  The generous side spill is also very effective.  Run time is at least twice as long as a 6P.

I own Surefire and Streamlight, and do NOT feel that the SL TL-2 LED is lacking in any manner.

Paladin
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:45:25 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't see a reason why you should put an illumination tool on your weapon unless it is for a purpose of engaging human targets.  This is the reason why Surefire, Streamlight, and Night Ops to name a few produce these types of flashlights.  I do not hunt with great frequency, so maybe there is an application with having a light on your weapon to identify that charging, vicious Emu.  If there is, that's great.  With this said, my purchases of these products are for their intended use and I am able to provide "my" opinion on their performance.

I could have knocked the light all I wanted saying it's the dumbest idea I've ever seen and Streamlight is junk.  Doing this without experience with the product is pointless.  My limited experience with them is positive.  If you don't want people putting in their input about their experience with similar or the same products to help the original "poster" with their question, maybe we should all cut and paste the spec sheet from the products website.  Do you think this is helpful?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:59:48 AM EDT
[#9]
The TL-2 LED is a fine all purpose light for civil uses.  Of course, it does not meet the theoretical 65 lumen "standard" for OFFENSIVE BLINDING purposes.  But except for that artificial benchmark, in all other areas the TL-2 LED is a great light.

The "standard" is very real.  Having been on the other end of the light during senarios and on the offensive end during several actual engagements, there is an extreme difference.  Anyone who would argue this has not had enough experience to argue the point.  Not everyone has this intended purpose for their light or ever cares to.

I was reading another post before this and confused the two.  The other was referring to the Thunder Ranch rifle light.  This is the light I was making reference to and was under the conclusion it was possibly only 42 lumen.  With this said, he is a consumer and able to make his own educated purchase.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 10:05:28 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I own Surefire and Streamlight, and do NOT feel that the SL TL-2 LED is lacking in any manner.

Paladin

Paladin, thanks for the info.

And to the other posters - I am not looking from some uber tactical light. This light is not going to be mounted on a gun. I just want a generally functional light.

The reason I picked the "super cool tactical package from thunder ranch" is because it comes with a few extra goodies, such as the key chain light.  It is also small enough so that if I wanted to hold it with a gun, I could (and I figured the DVD would be fun to watch).
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:26:35 PM EDT
[#11]
the streamlight 2-D is a very good light. i have used it as my work light for a little over 2 years now and have only changed the batteries once. i use this thing every week day atleast 5 times a day and it has worked flawlessly. trust me, it gets plenty of abuse. not sure how many lumens it it, but it will definatley blind ya.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:33:15 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Check out the Strion.  Nice light.  Thicker than an AA Mag, but 80 lumens (bulb).

Big +1
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 12:45:13 AM EDT
[#13]
I have a TL-3 its like a mini spot light    211 lumes and 1 hour run time then 8 hours of declining performance or some thing like that.  Its a little bigger than a  (AA) mag light .

Great light !

Invisiblesoul
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:20:38 AM EDT
[#14]
I finally got my TL3 LED and it's pretty bright. Not as bright as my X200 even though the lumen rating is higher on the TL3
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top