Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/20/2006 7:26:04 AM EDT
until we trapped a raccoon last night on our roof, and had to shoot him. My dad had to hold a light on the raccoon while I shot him. It was defenitely a redneck operation. Now I'm in the market!
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:36:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Depends what gun your attaching it to. Lets say its for a railed AR type rifle... I like surefire, and if you dont want anything expensive go for the G2 Nitrolon and get a DD Mount for it. If you have money to spend, get the Surefire M600A Scout Light IMO. There are some really good guys from the EE that sell surefires, BrightFlashLights & C4iGrant to name acouple. I got my G2 from Grant's site www.grtactical.com/surefire.htm
Hope this helps.

Nathan
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 1:06:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:54:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I know exactly how you feel.  I had a similar experience, but with a bear. My 2 dogs were freaking out in the front yard. They have a certian bark for bear and rattle snakes but that's why I got a shotgun not a light.  I went outside to fire off a few warning shots, once a bear finds an easy meal they are really hard to get rid of.  After I walked up the driveway about 200' and out of the  reach of the flood lights. It got dark, really dark!  The dogs did their job and chased the bear off, and I went back in the house and started to look for a light.  I purchased a TACM III from a camping survival store on yahoo. Google TACM III AR15 light system. It's a great little light. It runs on 2 lithium batteries.  Shoots a good beam and it's almost as bright as my friend's surefire. The light also comes with a pressure switch and mounts really easy to any standard AR hangaurd. Hope this helped.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:07:42 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
until we trapped a raccoon last night on our roof, and had to shoot him. My dad had to hold a light on the raccoon while I shot him. It was defenitely a redneck operation. Now I'm in the market!

Thnaks for the best laugh of my Friday night!!!

Later,

Badredfish
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:34:22 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Depends what gun your attaching it to. Lets say its for a railed AR type rifle... I like surefire, and if you dont want anything expensive go for the G2 Nitrolon and get a DD Mount for it. If you have money to spend, get the Surefire M600A Scout Light IMO. There are some really good guys from the EE that sell surefires, BrightFlashLights & C4iGrant to name acouple. I got my G2 from Grant's site www.grtactical.com/surefire.htm
Hope this helps.

Nathan

The Scout light is great, but way overpriced.  It's just an L4 with a mount attached. It might have the standard head and the IR flip up cover in the kit too, which just adds to the price without adding much use for most people.
Just get an L4 and a mount.  About a hundred bucks less.  The L4 is also just a E2E with a KL4 LED head.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:07:24 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I purchased a TACM III from a camping survival store on yahoo. Google TACM III AR15 light system. It's a great little light. It runs on 2 lithium batteries.  Shoots a good beam and it's almost as bright as my friend's surefire. The light also comes with a pressure switch and mounts really easy to any standard AR hangaurd. Hope this helped.

TACM III AR15/M16 Light System

Specifications [from Fulton Armory website]:
Dimensions: 1" OD (body) x 4.5" long
Weight: 3.9 oz with batteries
Construction: Delrin and Aluminum
Finish: Black
Light Output: 105.5 lumens (30,000 candlepower)
Batteries: 2 x 3V Lithium (DL123ABK)
Battery Life: Approx 80 Minutes Continues
Bulb: 6V Xenon
Bulb Life: Approx 50 hrs
Warranty: 1 year

Part of my skepticism comes from statements like "[t]he flashlight is shock resistant..." found on the Camping Survival web page.  I wonder if the lamp assembly or batteries will be damaged from long term usage.  I wonder if the body might be accidentally broken during a scuffle with an intruder or from genuine CQB use or even a tactical AR course.  In true doubting form, I'll also add the obligatory "if it's so good, why haven't we seen it explode into the market?"

The mount also appears to be Delrin and only attaches to factory handguard, although no doubt any QD 1" rail mount should do.  Rushusa.com says it's suitable for divers although I see no notation indicating it being waterproof.

Calvin, Grant, anybody?
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 12:54:11 AM EDT
[#7]
How did it come about that you "trapped" him on you roof? And what about this made you have to shoot him ? You do know a racoon will find its way down.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 12:59:16 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
How did it come about that you "trapped" him on you roof? And what about this made you have to shoot him ? You do know a racoon will find its way down.

It was wearing a face mask, couldn't have been up to any good!

Surefire also make the dedicated forends.  I have a 500a, though I don't use it anymore.  Really like it, just wanted to be able to take the light off when I didn't want it, and I also developed the desire for a vfg.  Then the damned Gladius came out, I was done for.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:47:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:20:08 AM EDT
[#10]
That's a better reason than, "I just watched the new Dawn of the Dea when they were in the parking garage..."
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top