Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/14/2006 1:32:45 AM EDT
Just curious as to the consensus on using the 9P with shock isolated bezel as a carbine mounted light.   I think I'll try to build a shock resistant battery pack as last try resulted in my batteries being flat hammered to hell.    

I saw a thread on dissected battery stacks and it showed they were wired/soldered together with a rubber disc in between with shrink tubing over the batteries.   Doesnt seem too difficult to build and should be tons cheaper than the ready made one.    Anyone tried it?

Damn checked the surefire site and cant find the battery stacks anymore, did they quit making them?
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:44:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:03:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Considering that the Z32 is IIRC, the same bezel on the shotgun lights, it should handle an AR firing just 5.56 pretty easily.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:47:27 PM EDT
[#3]
i have an 9p on just a 1" weaver ring, no shock bezel. all i've done is replace the batteries .
i've shot over 10k rounds with the 9p classic, still runs like a champ.
planning on another 9p for my other m4gery.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:51:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I also use a 9P Surefire  mounted with a fubus rail mount on my Colt Ar15A3 for street duty use.
I did not switch out with  a shock isolated bezel and have had no problems at all with it.  The Surefire is mounted directly under the barrel and I also have a Blackhawk Gladius mount with a viking mount on the right side.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:17:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Recoil from a 5.56 broke the bezel contacts on my Surefire 6P twice from battery battering, even with a Z32 shock bezel, pressure switch, and WFM mount.  Both failures occurred within 500 rds.  Surefire absolutely advises against it.  Get a dedicated weapons light unless you are using this setup merely for kicks and giggles and your life or safety will never depend on it.  Ever since I went with the old school Surefire 500 series weapons light body, no problemo.  Maybe I'm harder on my gear, maybe I'm unlucky re taclights.  But a taclight is something I don't want failing so I'm not going to try to save a hundred bucks or so given the downside risk.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 12:38:04 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Recoil from a 5.56 broke the bezel contacts on my Surefire 6P twice from battery battering, even with a Z32 shock bezel, pressure switch, and WFM mount.  Both failures occurred within 500 rds.  Surefire absolutely advises against it.  Get a dedicated weapons light unless you are using this setup merely for kicks and giggles and your life or safety will never depend on it.  Ever since I went with the old school Surefire 500 series weapons light body, no problemo.  Maybe I'm harder on my gear, maybe I'm unlucky re taclights.  But a taclight is something I don't want failing so I'm not going to try to save a hundred bucks or so given the downside risk.

it's up to you, my m4gery is no safe queen and had zero problems with the 9p , just lucky i guess. still even have original bulb.
i guess my classic 9p is one of a kind. one day of shooting at jeff gonzalez's class we went thru almost 1200 rounds. and i can bet my life on my 9p running just fine.

ETA: i have a 6p i'm also running on my 870. so far have shot "OO" and slugs thru it, about 500 rds. no prob also. We'll have to see how long the 6p last on the shootie, no shock bezel on it either, i 'm running tape switches on both my m4gery and sheeeuut gun.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:44:03 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Yes, the battery sticks have been discontinued, mainly due to cost issues and the fact that in most instances batteries get depleted before any significant hammering effects take place.  

As for your 9P / Z32 combo, if it's on a 5.56 AR then you'll be good to go if you're not overly abusive to it. The low recoil of the AR's doesn't batter the lamp & batteries like a shotgun or other heavy recoil rifles & handguns would.  

Are the 'battery sticks' mentioned the same as the 'battery retention' or 'isolation' mentioned in the FAQ above?  i.e. is the recoil resistent bezel the only thing built to be recoil-resistant on new surefires with the battery compartment the same as the hand-helds?

ETA- I also just noticed from the FAQ that the surefire M600 scout lights don't have battery isolation.  Does that mean I can expect my G2 w/z32 to be roughly as recoil proof as the M600 "weaponlight"
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:45:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:55:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks very much for the instruction!
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top