BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/30/2005 7:19:29 PM EDT
I saw this set up at my local gunshop and liked it.  The Streamlight TL-3 light is super bright, brighter than most of the Surefires that cost 5 time the amount.  I thought the price of $159.00 was a good deal because the light comes with the rail mount set up.

I found the same package on line at www.lapolicegear.com for $87.00.  It is mounted on my Rock River M4 tactical rifle which I use at work for raid entry.  The light is superior to many others I have tried and costs a lot less!
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 2:56:19 PM EDT
[#1]

I consider a TL-3 way brighter than wanted/needed for indoor use, so being able to swap in a TL-3 LED or TL-2 LED is appreciated.  Clint Smith makes it look so easy and fast!

Paladin
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:06:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I was actually just looking at this, and was wondering about how the rail mounts on the regular handguards.  This seems like a good light, but too bright?  Hmmm...  Was looking at a Pentagon X2/X3, so curious how this compares.

Looking for more info...
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:12:54 AM EDT
[#3]
As shown, the mount could be installed on the other side for lefties.  Get a spare set of handguards if drilling worries you.  The "rail" can also be bolted on at 6 oclock without drilling.

Don't worry about my "too bright" comment much.  I am probably in very small company with wanting "less" light at times.  TL-3 Xenon's throw great, and I love how well they light up my back yard!  Just don't try shining one at a notepad and trying to write anything.

The great thing about the Streamlight kit is being able to add a second, compatible LED based light for indoor use, such as the 90 lumen TL-3 LED or 30 lumen TL-2 LED.   Neither are weapon rated, but my TL-3 LED has survived hundreds of rounds in direct sun West Texas mid-summer conditions without failure, and stays mounted on my "coyote" rifle.  As shown previously in the lower right of the picture, the TL-2 LED has a much smaller profile than the 9 volt lights and is great for a lightweight KISS carbine used INDOORS.

Paladin
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:00:40 AM EDT
[#4]
For $87, that's a really good deal.  Thanks for the pointer!
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:01:37 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
As shown, the mount could be installed on the other side for lefties.  Get a spare set of handguards if drilling worries you.  The "rail" can also be bolted on at 6 oclock without drilling.

Don't worry about my "too bright" comment much.  I am probably in very small company with wanting "less" light at times.  TL-3 Xenon's throw great, and I love how well they light up my back yard!  Just don't try shining one at a notepad and trying to write anything.

The great thing about the Streamlight kit is being able to add a second, compatible LED based light for indoor use, such as the 90 lumen TL-3 LED or 30 lumen TL-2 LED.   Neither are weapon rated, but my TL-3 LED has survived hundreds of rounds in direct sun West Texas mid-summer conditions without failure, and stays mounted on my "coyote" rifle.  As shown previously in the lower right of the picture, the TL-2 LED has a much smaller profile than the 9 volt lights and is great for a lightweight KISS carbine used INDOORS.

Paladin

Thanks for the reply Paladin!  This actually sounds like a system I could use.  I could see two uses with my rifle.  Outside containment where a bright light would come in handy, and possibly indoors on a high-risk search or such.  I like the idea of changing the flashlight out to meet my needs.  So, the LED is better than the regular - I should consider that?  And I am assuming that the lapolicegear.com has the best prices?

Thanks again for your help!
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 11:00:28 AM EDT
[#6]
I have been using a TL-3 for monthce on my patrol ar. Love it. Tight beam, great throw, at least 200 yards, it is light weight. The only thing that I have found to out do it is one of tose 500 lumen surefires at close to $500. I am gettin ready to buy one lagear for my gauge. I liked it so much on my ar I bought a 2nd one and am now carrying it on my duty belt and took my stinger hp off. The tl3 is much brighter than the stinger hp.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:38:50 PM EDT
[#7]
It never occurred to me that the brightness of the light was problem.  In fact, for CQB and building entry the brightness level is perfect because it creates a halo effect so the projected light beam is bright on target and the Halo effect projects a dimmer light on the perifery which gives you a wide view of your surroundings.

Also, the Urban rifle kit comes with a subdued green filter attachement which has a flip up cover for white light or green light.  So you can pretty much choose the right lighting for your given circumstance!

I am considering either buying another one for my other M-4 or I may try the Octagon light.

The only downfall I can see to the Urban rifle Streamlight is the accessory remote switch sucks because it is way to large to fit a vertical foregrip and does not fit the Tangodown grip.  Surefire and Pentagon lights remot switches do fit nearly every model of vertical grip.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:59:46 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
It never occurred to me that the brightness of the light was problem.  In fact, for CQB and building entry the brightness level is perfect because it creates a halo effect so the projected light beam is bright on target and the Halo effect projects a dimmer light on the perifery which gives you a wide view of your surroundings.

Also, the Urban rifle kit comes with a subdued green filter attachement which has a flip up cover for white light or green light.  So you can pretty much choose the right lighting for your given circumstance!

I am considering either buying another one for my other M-4 or I may try the Octagon light.

The only downfall I can see to the Urban rifle Streamlight is the accessory remote switch sucks because it is way to large to fit a vertical foregrip and does not fit the Tangodown grip.  Surefire and Pentagon lights remot switches do fit nearly every model of vertical grip.

I meant Pentagon, not Octogon.  But There is an idea for a new flashlight company name!
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:13:41 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I have been using a TL-3 for monthce on my patrol ar. Love it. Tight beam, great throw, at least 200 yards, it is light weight. The only thing that I have found to out do it is one of tose 500 lumen surefires at close to $500. I am gettin ready to buy one lagear for my gauge. I liked it so much on my ar I bought a 2nd one and am now carrying it on my duty belt and took my stinger hp off. The tl3 is much brighter than the stinger hp.

LED or no?  I am just trying to get a handle on whether to get LED or not...  It seems that yours is not LED...
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:11:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:20:12 PM EDT
[#11]
LED is tough to beat.  Not as bright, but will generally not have bulb failure.  The xenon gas filled bulb is claimed to be shock proof and rapid fire worthy without failure.  It is definately brighter.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 1:13:42 AM EDT
[#12]
If you want throw and lumens incadescent is th eway to go. I have use dmine for actual searches/warrant service and not found it to bright, It is great for the both close and far.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:54:12 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
If you want throw and lumens incadescent is th eway to go. I have use dmine for actual searches/warrant service and not found it to bright, It is great for the both close and far.

Gotcha!  Sounds like the incandescent will suit my needs.  I can always buy a LED later just to have BOTH!  
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:53:41 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Wonder how many lights they have to sell to pay Clint Smith's endorsement fee??

The included DVD with Clint explaining the system, showing how to install it, and giving basic advice on how to use lighting effectively only took a few minutes to view, but for some that might be just enough info to spark their thirst for additional training.

At the least, it is better to have users be familiar enough with their "new toy" to actually be able to use it, even if in a rudimentary manner.  ANY mounted light is better than trying to hold a rifle and flashlight in each hand.

For $85 the Streamlight Thunder Ranch Urban Rifle kit is an inexpensive way to get aquainted with the use of a mounted light, WITHOUT the complexity and expense of building a railed upper with VFG and tape switch. It might be all the end user ever needs, especially when it is tailored by the selection of an appropriate "second" light.

Paladin
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:05:27 PM EDT
[#15]
i ordered one because of okla-lawmans positive post about them, it will go on my patrol rifle. if it works out we may buy them for the dept.'s ar's since it's a everything included package.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:35:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Okay ... I probably should have asked this before, but ...

Does the kit come with a remote pressure switch?  I don't see it in the photos, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have one.

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:21:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Does this light use the Litium 123's?
And do they have a rechargable battery
option. My brother is an LEO & he's been
looking for something like this for his carbine
& shotgun.
Great thread!

Johnny C!
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:39:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:18:16 PM EDT
[#19]
It appears that lapolicegear.com has removed the kit.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:42:01 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

The TL-2 kit is still there!
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:34:31 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm glad you can find it, all I can find there now is the TL2 with a smaller flashlight. No sign of a TL2 with the weapons mount kit. Oh well, back to square one.

F3
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:59:46 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm glad you can find it, all I can find there now is the TL2 with a smaller flashlight. No sign of a TL2 with the weapons mount kit. Oh well, back to square one.

F3

You are right, all I found was the TL-2 LED (with no weapons mount).  Lets try to e-mail them and ask them what up!
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 1:09:52 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
No, the kit doesn't come with a tapeswitch but there is suppose to be a t.switch assy. for it.

Yes, it uses 123A's.  It's a 9v system so it uses 3 cells.

No, there isn't really a rechargeable option for the TL-3.

Hmmm I have been using 2 li-ion 17500 for almost a year now...........
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:30:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 1:21:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Has anyone ordered from defensedevices.com before?  They have the Thunder Ranch Streamlight Tactical Rifle Light for only $99.95.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 3:10:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Did anyone else order the package from www.lapolicegear.com  recently?

Did you receive yours yet?

I guess I'm spoiled by some of the dealers we see here a lot (like Grant & Calvin) who ship immediately and I receive the stuff quickly.

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:00:05 PM EDT
[#27]
I also prefer dealing with Arfcom vendors, BUT if either was selling the Streamlight kit, they would have commented by now.

Hence having to deal with LAPoliceGear.  Usually they ship promptly, and I ALWAYS use the option to "cancel BO items, ship what is in stock" on their shopping cart(IIRC, they are the ONLY one with that feature).  Since the item is no longer on their web pages, one might assume it is no longer available.   Contact their customer service via Email, they have been very responsive, and helpful in the past.

The other source, DefenseDevices, is not a bad price.  The item is $99.95, and they say "free shipping over $99".  If that is correct, they might be worth a try.  I want another rail and mount for my R6500 clone, but don't need another DVD, lens cover, or TL-3 for that matter!

Paladin
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:46:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:13:54 PM EDT
[#29]
TL3 has been a great light. I use it on a work rifle but not with that large mount, I hate that.  Found that you run 4 rubber O rings (forget the size offhand) on the tube (under 1 inch) between the ribs, then clamp it in a 1 inch Weaver ring.  Put that ring on a YHM angle slot mount and stuck on the side a my LT forend and bingo, 200 lumens, thumb activated from a FVG.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 11:53:16 PM EDT
[#30]
i have not got mine from lapolicegear,the online tracking function says order not found and have not been able to get a response by email yet about the status of my order but i still have today to go for the we will reply in 72 hours to emails thats on the website.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:06:09 AM EDT
[#31]
The TL-3 Xenon can be purchased from Amazon for $48.  Are the other accessories really worth the $50-$70 more?
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:11:14 AM EDT
[#32]
Is the kit light the same as the basic TL-3? Where's the shock isolation?
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:18:51 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
The TL-3 Xenon can be purchased from Amazon for $48.  Are the other accessories really worth the $50-$70 more?

The TL-3 "Shockproof" has an improved lamp holder, with an additional spring between the batteries and lamp.  And considering a "plain" TL-3 is a bargain at under $50, why whine about the extra $50 for a flip-open green filter, bolt-on rail, and QD mount...and DVD.

The rail alone, actually one for the SL M3, runs about $15 retail.

A "Botach" Streamlight mount is the only other one I'm aware of, runs about $30 and is NOT QD, and suffers the same fault  the Vltor potentially exhibits(clamp slippage) due to rail tolerances and using a single screw to clamp the light and rail.

The "second light" concept is almost mandatory, and having tool-less QD capability to use either the TL-3 Shockproof Xenon, a TL-2 LED, or TL-3 LED appeals to me.  One mounted, another one or two in pocket/hand is cheap insurance.

Paladin
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:58:06 PM EDT
[#34]
ON SALE $89.95
STREAMLIGHT

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:14:58 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
ON SALE $89.95
STREAMLIGHT

Not the one with the weapons mount kit...
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 5:08:53 AM EDT
[#36]
Back ordered from "DefenseDevices" as of 1-9-06

GM
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 1:01:46 PM EDT
[#37]
canceled my order to la police gear. could never find out my order status or anything about it, via the online tracking,email or phone. i'll stick with board vendors for my light now.  
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 2:16:21 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:
ON SALE $89.95
STREAMLIGHT

OOPS I now realize this.
Had to order a couple of lights last night and found it so I posted it.
Does anyone have just the mount at a resonable price or does it only come in the pack??
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:55:05 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Hence having to deal with LAPoliceGear.  Usually they ship promptly, and I ALWAYS use the option to "cancel BO items, ship what is in stock" on their shopping cart(IIRC, they are the ONLY one with that feature).  Since the item is no longer on their web pages, one might assume it is no longer available.   Contact their customer service via Email, they have been very responsive, and helpful in the past.

Thanks ... I sent e-mail on Thursday.  No reply yet, but I'll give them through Monday (two business days) before I try again.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:02:06 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Sorry I couldn't help, I'm switching from a distributor source to factory direct so my Streamlight orders are going to be held up.  I will carry the TL-3 packages but it may be a few weeks before they're in stock.  If possible, I may try to go a different route on the mounts though, we hope to be able to offer a more streamlined mount solution.

No need to apologize!  There's no way you can carry it all, all the time!
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:56:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:56:54 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
The TL-3 with the better bulb is a good light - the little bit I've played wth it anyway.

I think the other vendor mentioned might have taken it down because they were selling the item too cheap (based on their cost). Just a guess.

The example of the new "Shock-proof" TL-3 I have on hand does NOT focus as tightly as the pair of standard TL-3's on hand.  But the reassurance of better shock handling is worth the trade-off.  IMO the original lamp holder was poorly designed anyway, having a weakness where the contact was spot welded on it's base.  Streamlight PROMPTLY sent a replacement part.

No need to speculate about WHY LaPoliceGear stopped selling the kit.  Per their initial offering of the item on Oct. 21, 2005:

"We are blowing out our inventory on the famous Streamlight Thunder Ranch Pistol and Urban Rifle Kits. Get them while they last AT BELOW DEALER PRICING!!!

Limited time special while supplies last."

I'm looking forward to hearing from BF/Calvin when he gets the gear in stock!

Paladin
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:31:49 AM EDT
[#43]
I got a response (thanks to Paladin's hint on e-mail), and I'm on back order.  I hope they honor the price at which I ordered it.

Re: mounts ... have you guys tried the Viking Tactics mount?  I've not tried a Streamlight, but since it uses screws to directly hold the light, it seems like it should work.

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:37:36 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
ON SALE $89.95
STREAMLIGHT

OOPS I now realize this.
Had to order a couple of lights last night and found it so I posted it.
Does anyone have just the mount at a resonable price or does it only come in the pack??

Our wholesaler has these at a discontined price I ordered one to check out. A 1" ring should work for this?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:58:14 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
TL3 has been a great light. I use it on a work rifle but not with that large mount, I hate that.  Found that you run 4 rubber O rings (forget the size offhand) on the tube (under 1 inch) between the ribs, then clamp it in a 1 inch Weaver ring.  Put that ring on a YHM angle slot mount and stuck on the side a my LT forend and bingo, 200 lumens, thumb activated from a FVG.

1 inch ring will not work, see above previous post.  I used #13 Danco rubber O rings.  Works great now.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:13:31 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

1 inch ring will not work, see above previous post.  I used #13 Danco rubber O rings.  Works great now.

Is the TL2 and the TL3 the same outside diameter?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:30:08 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:22:01 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Back ordered from "DefenseDevices" as of 1-9-06

GM

Got a call from a lady today from DefenseDevices. apologizing profusely for the wait
to ship. (Once again I think ARFcom put on undo pressure on product availability)

This product became popular quickly.

Went out today, 1-18-06 for $99.95

GM
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:47:27 PM EDT
[#49]
I am using the viking mount.It wii workas is but a little inner tue made it work a lot better.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:49:23 AM EDT
[#50]
tag
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top