Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/26/2005 5:53:28 PM EDT
Has anyone ever used one of these, if so what the pro's and cons?
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:25:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 5:33:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Why is it that no one can answer a question about Digilight.  It is always "buy american" or "these other lights are much better".

I have two digilights.  One on my AR and one on my duty belt.  I have carried streamlights in the past because that is what was always issued to me.  I like the Digilights and for the price I would go with Digilight every time.  Our dept guns have Surefires on them and the Digilight is brighter. (I carry my personal AR) I am sure there are Surefires that are brighter but they are probably about 3 times the price if not more.  

The ones I have are the NT9.  Only two drawbacks so far.  You have to take the battery out to charge it and when the battery goes dead there is no warning.  Customer service has been great.  The company is still new and the improvements they make on the lights have been sent to me free of charge.  Buy one and I think you will be happy with it.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:06:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 1:47:53 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

There was a long thread awhile back about all the digilights that either broke or didn't live up to expectations. I have seen these lights and they were NOT as bright as my SF lights (sorry).

C4

I must have missed that one.  I did a search and found nothing in past 30 days and I check the board about once a week.  There was a post a long time ago that I can remember but I don't remember anyone talking about the model I was.  I do remember people saying they didn't meet expectations.   This was basicly the the entry level light for about $40.  Same time the 40% discount code was out.   The people that I know that have them have nothing but good to say about them.  So what is the price of the brighter SF lights you have.(around 175lumens)  Which digilight was it that you have seen?  Have to do Apples to Apples here.  Like I said in my post, I could only judge on what we have and unfortunately I don't know the model we have of SF.  

I don't sell these or any other light.  I am just putting my personal experience out there when I asked.  
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 2:13:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:00:37 PM EDT
[#6]
A company try to make their product sound better than what it may be.  OMG  Just don't tell me that the media would twist a story to sell more papers or boost ratings.  Come on I know better than that.  

So what does a 125-175 lumen light run from SF? (msrp)

All I wanted to get across in this post is that it would be nice if people would answer  the question posted instead of knocking a product that you don't sell and have not used in the real world for any real amount of time.  

EMiller I hope I answered your question.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:27:02 PM EDT
[#7]
A Surefire 9P has a "street" price around $60.  

Considering that a standard P90 lamp produces 105 lumens, and has a run time of 60  minutes, one would have to be rather naive to believe the comparable Digilight "knock-off" runs longer than a P90, while being nearly as bright as the P91 HOLA.

The T9 is rated for an 80 minute run time which implies less current draw than a P90 lamp which produces 105 lumens for 60 minutes, ie the T9 light output is less, probably more like 75 lumens.  How is buying the imported "knock-off" from Digilight going to benefit the user?!  What exactly is the point of a 9 volt system outputing at a 6 volt level?!

Or add a P91 HOLA to a Surefire 9P for another $25?  Then you will have an honest 200 lumens with 20 minute run time for $85.  Made in the USA, and with a lifetime warranty.

Paladin
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:28:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:02:03 PM EDT
[#9]
I am not knocking SF.  The 9P sounds like a good deal but is ok to put on a long gun?  I also like rechargables.  An M95 would probably be a better comparison.

You guys are missing my point.  I carry the light and like it.  I gave my honest opinion.  If you want to buy from anywhere but China great.  I buy what I feel is best bang for buck.  I dont think it is completely made in China though.  Some parts yes.  Some parts are made in the USA.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:23:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:13:55 AM EDT
[#11]
C4,
You seem to have vast knowledge when it comes to topics on this board and I respect that.

Could you read my posts a little closer.  I am not saying one is better than the other.  Yes I wanted to know how much a comparable SF would cost.  That was out of curiosity more than anything.  I have never shopped them.  All I wanted to get across is that I am trying to answer someone's question instead of pushing another product down his throat.  I use the Digi everyday in the real world.  Not just picking it up at a retailer and handle it for 5mins.  

I know that as far as customer service goes I have yet to be disappointed.  A guy at another PD sells digi and when he tells me there is an upgrade to my light, I email Digi and I have it within a week at no charge.  I can't say anything about breakages or failures because it hasnt happened yet.  They went out of stock of a light when someone ordered a light even though it said they were not.  (she did an order for 3 people and got 2 but not the 3rd)She was sent one of their multi tools for the mix up.  I am sorry that I have not had a bad experience with Digilight to tell you about.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:14:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Sorry double post.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:31:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 1:28:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Again missing the point of my post.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 1:34:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 3:37:18 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Again missing the point of my post.

Your point is that the Digi lights are good. My point was that there are better options out there with a long and trusted track record.

C4

Grant and I seem to disagree most of the time, but on this SF is better. You can now get shack & bake lights, but which would would you bet your ass on. There are only two for me, SF and the Gladius (only reason for the Gladius because SF currently doesn't have a comparable unit, that I know of).
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 3:53:05 PM EDT
[#17]
   Shoot, it must have been close to a year ago that the big Digilight discount code thread stampeded through here. I jumped onto the bandwagon and bought a few for myself. I think that they are OK lights and will not complain about what I received for my money.

But.....  I would not put one on my weapon, I would not carry one if I were active military or LEO. I would not keep one in my BOB.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 4:54:15 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Your point is that the Digi lights are good. My point was that there are better options out there with a long and trusted track record.

C4

He didn't ask for better options.  Asked for pros and cons of Digilight.  He probably didn't ask for this thread to take this turn either.  

Light is on my AR and it has survived hundreds if not thousands of rounds going through the gun so far.  If it does fail I will be glad to post it, but it just hasn't.   I again never said Digi is better than SF only gave my opinion of the light as was asked in this post.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 2:01:38 PM EDT
[#19]
I originally posted the LEO discount code for Digi right here on ARFCOM.  Wasn't trying to stir up a nest of hornets...just sharing what had been passed on to me.  I rec'd my first Digi for free from one of Digi's marketing partners...and still use it on my AR.  No problems here...I'm not an "operator" and won't abuse it like some.

It works fine for me and my range rifle.  YRMV.

I even purchased a 2nd Digi and haven't had any issues there either.

Lex
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 2:21:59 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
   Shoot, it must have been close to a year ago that the big Digilight discount code thread stampeded through here. I jumped onto the bandwagon and bought a few for myself. I think that they are OK lights and will not complain about what I received for my money.

But.....  I would not put one on my weapon, I would not carry one if I were active military or LEO. I would not keep one in my BOB.

+1

I bought one at the same time. It works fine as a flashlight, but I wouldn't try to mount it on a rifle, and wouldn't count on it as as SHTF light. It just doesn't feel solid, and it is a bit hinky in it's funtion.

The best part of that code was all the batteries I got for my Pentagon light and my G2 for dirt cheap.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:13:50 PM EDT
[#21]
I've had my 1000XB for a few months now. I use it every day and it works great. No complaints. Worth every penny.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 11:59:36 AM EDT
[#22]
I currently use a Surefire 9P (attached with momentary switch) and Gladius on my duty LEO AR.
This is my personally owned weapon and works great. Gladius is mounted (Viking) on the right side of Surefire handguard rail (SF73) and is available next to the handguard grip.  Surefire 9P is mounted ( Fobus) on the rail directly underneath.  Both work fine and provide back up light for each other.  The Gladius provides the extra strobe system which really screws up the subject's eyes/mind when lighted.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:31:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Interesting thread, but i thought it was about DigiLight lights.

pros and cons of digilight in general:

pros:
- excellent bang for the buck
- good warranty service. now, i may receive better treatment due to carrying their product line - i don't know. but other experiences in this thread make me think that unlikely.

cons:
- some (T series) or all (1000 series) chinese made parts
- occasional quality problems in manufacturing (see chinese made parts :) - I have had one TLX which was DOA, and a few pressure switches with problems.

DigiLight's 1000X series lights are very decent little personal 6V lights for the price. I would not put a 1000 series light on a weapon unless I had nothing else, but I feel they are great little carry lights

Pros:
- bright
- adjustable focus
- small (shorter than an E2D)
- affordable ($20 is all many people want to pay for a light)
- cheap bulb  design means cheap bulb replacement
- comes with a usable holster

Cons:
- cheap bulb design means bulbs are not shock isolated and will potentially need replacement more often
- reflector QC is shoddy; occasionally I see a 1000XB which isn't as bright as another.

Digilight's T series lights are more directly comparable to Surefire's P series lights. I like them quite a bit.

Pros:
- parts compatible with surefire lights. SF bulbs will work, sf tailcaps will work. And vice versa.
- excellent (US made) reflector quality, although not as good as SF,
- extremely bright 12V option available (4 cells, T-12 model). Yes, digi's lumens ratings are high, but their 9V light (T9) is as bright as everybody elses, and contrary to something written on this thread, not comparable in output to a 6V P60 bulb. (the battery life ratings are inflated too). The T12 is incredibly bright and an excellent value. I have a T9 with their "range extender head" (read: larger sized bezel) on a 20" rifle and it reaches out nicely.
- rechargeable 9V available in 6P sized body (the T6 can be converted, or you can simply buy an NT9)

cons:
- I think the T series MSRP prices need to drop a bit more. If the T12 retailed for $80 vs $99, it would be a steal. Lower MSRP would make the Digis more appealing to people who right now don't see a big enough price difference compared to US made products.

ok, well there are some thoughts that hopefully somebody finds useful. I'd be happy to post pictures, specs or whatever if anybody wants. i've beaten them up a bit and am satisfied enough to sell them and use them on my own guns.

disclaimer/disclosure: I am a retailer  who sells DigiLight lights, along with several other brands (Ombu, PentagonLight, SF etc). (mods this is NOT an advertisement, but I do wish somebody would email me back ([email protected]) RE: where to send the check for the dealer program, I have been waiting for a reply for a long time)

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top