Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/30/2005 1:17:49 PM EDT
I want a light for my AR.  This will be for home defence and SHTF.  Because of the SHTF role I want something that will run for a while on one set of batteries. Like at least 5 hours.  I also want it to use common AAA or AA batteries. As always less $$$ is better. Under $50 is great under $100 is still okay. If under $50 I may get two. One mounted and one in the wall safe with the Glock.

A related question. Which is better specificaly for home defense a wide beam or a narrow one? And why?

Sorry if this is dupe or a noob post. I'm sure this has been asked before. I searched, yet I did not find.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 4:07:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes its a noob post.

Noone makes a weapon light in AA or AAA becasue of the limited voltage and capacity.

You need to reevaluate right there. ALL WEAPON LIGHTS USE 123 CELLS.  ALL.  

If it ran for 4 or 5 hours at max output it would barely shine ten feet.  An exageration but you get the point.  You dont want a photon micro light for a weapon light do you?

What does it matter if its AAA or AA you have stored for SHTF?  You cant get any batteries after SHTF so why AAA and AA?  If you are not willing to stockpile 123 then your really not preparing for SHTF are you?  They are only $1 each.  

Wide or narrow beam just meas lots of throw and littel hot spot and little range or tight for a good hotspot and range bt not wide beam.  For under 15-25 yards the wide angle is better.  You cant use a wide angle  LED light over 15-25 yards.

I like a narrow hotspots for weaponlights to increase throw.

But if you find an LED that uses a AAA battery and runs for at least 5 hours then let us know.  You need about 50+ lumens and Id assume the light you desribe would put out about 5 or less.  Better than a birthday candle but not much better.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 5:58:45 PM EDT
[#2]
an inova 5x would be cool if you could mount it.  It has 5 led's and runs for 20 hours on 2 lithium batteries.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 7:07:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Inova's are great general purpose lights but they dont have the lumens or throw for true weapon light use. Pentagonlight's have been getting great reviews and they offer LED lights that are strong and bright enough for weapon mounting. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 7:24:35 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
an inova 5x would be cool if you could mount it.  It has 5 led's and runs for 20 hours on 2 lithium batteries.

If by all means you want this light here is a link to a setup
http://www.elitetacticalsources.com/Guardian_TR5_Weapon_Light_System.htm
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:58:05 AM EDT
[#5]
They said the same thing to me, they don't seem to get it.

The TacStar T3 LED is a 2-AA LED light that's quite nice and has a tape switch available I believe.

Also, the ElektroLumens XM-3 (a better choice IMO) is a very solidly built 3 Watt regulated LED that takes 2 AA as well.  They claim 72 lumens.  Dunno about that, but I do know (something a lot of people here don't seem to understand) that with booster circuits an AA light can do just as well as a 123 light, just not for as long.  If you're using LEDs that's not a big issue though.

The ElektroLumens XM-3 is my choice SHTF weaponlight.  It doesn't run for 5 hours, but it's plenty long considering how easy it'll be to get AA batteries.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 2:22:34 PM EDT
[#6]
No offense, but we do get it. Although they do make LED lights that use AA or AAA batteries they just dont have the throw and focus needed for weaponlight use. I have some high dollar lights and I have some budget lights and IMHO I would not risk my life with one of the low budget LED's.
A good test of a light for me is if I could identify a threat in pitch black in the longest hallway in my house. I also would like it to blind/distract the suspect at that same distance.
I think that either a Pentagonlight or Streamilight LED would fit your bill for a budget weaponlight.

Hope this helps
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:24:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Yes we gat it.  AA has no bearing on availability.  You either HAVE or DO NOT HAVE batteries already at SHTF time.  You can get rechargable 123s and solar chargers for extended SHTF needs.  No reason to only use AA, no advantages to that battery only disadvantages.  PLus you guys do not understand the concept of weapon light use and its clearly appearant with a 5 hour life desire.  Weapon lights are use intermittently and 1 hour will last you MANY days in a SHTF scenario.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 9:46:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Got a pelican M6 xenon (not LED) for $50.  74 Lumens about 60 -75 runtime.  1" body so lots of mounts out there.

Will be difficult to to get power AND runtime.  This site www.flashlightreviews.com/index1.html should answer alot of questions.  There is a light on there that runs over 700 hours (Lightwave 4000)!  Not ideal as a weapon light.  

But a weapon light is the for the 'weapon' and secure mounting usually eliminates quick Un-mounting.  You'll want a separate light as a people light.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:05:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Like I said, they don't get it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:14:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Please go do a low light shooting course with your AA light and report back to us.  Id really like to know if I am wrong on this one.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:35:17 PM EDT
[#11]
www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_disp/displ/carfnbr/134/prrfnbr/24216

this is my current light,,,but then again i'm a surefire snob,LOL.   but seriously they do make a damn nice light. you can ever get LED heads for these lights now.

i just cant decide if i should use the touch pad or the push button cap. i lean more toward the push button on/off.  the pads seem to much to deal with when you just want the sucker ON.

oh ya, if your concerned about price, see this guy,,,
[email protected]
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:54:35 PM EDT
[#12]
I recommend Pentagon Lights.

I've owned SureFire (grossly overpriced) and quite honestly, the Pentagon does everything the SF does at a fraction of the price. Bright white light, shock isloated bulb and aluminum housing are common features between the SF and Pentagon.

The Pentagon X2-HA replaced my SureFire M96 a few months ago and the Pentagon does everything the SF did except I saved around $275.

If you need stronger light, the Pentagon X3-HA pumps out some serious lumens.

Check the EE. KBlagg offered me the lowest price on the EE for the X2-HA. E-mail him for his super low price.

I finally learned that SureFire lights may be cost effective for someone who'll use their set-up
during combat, but Pentagon is here to stay and is giving SF a serious run for the money.

HS1
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:27:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 10:20:15 AM EDT
[#14]
those pentagon lights look very nice. i wish i'd have known about those before getting my M96 weapons light. the only good thing about mine was the price was great (used unit).

LED is certainly the way to go, for battery life but hte xenon bulbs are a weapon in their own right.

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top