Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/28/2005 6:56:49 PM EDT
link

Anyone know whar product was selected?

Why are "flashight" type lights usually used on ARs instead of the Streamlight M6 type?
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:02:04 AM EDT
[#1]
That's too bad.
It's another political procurement where the warfighter gets stuck with crap because big business is in a descision-maker's good graces.

I bought one a while back....the laser won't hold it's zero, and the white light is weak. I had to send it back to Insight twice for repairs. The customer services was horrible.

Nothing against Insight (they make a few excellent products)...but, now that it's part of the new SOPMOD, it'll be the next "thing to get".

My experience is that it's a POS and should be avoided. My OTAL kicks it's ass.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:41:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Hm maybe the .mil folks got fed up with SureFire's prices too
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:19:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Look, they screwed up the VLI, now they can do the same for the VBL III.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:55:45 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Hm maybe the .mil folks got fed up with SureFire's prices too

Amen to that!
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 12:31:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Can't wait to see what it looks like.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 12:42:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Vic I was just guessing, but given SF's superbly engineered products, I can't imagine SOCOM would go back to Insight other than for pricing.  Do you have insider info?  Maybe they threw in their flash lights at really good prices to go along with their NV sales?
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 12:46:30 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Can't wait to see what it looks like.

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 12:54:20 PM EDT
[#8]
That's it?
Sheeit......
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 12:56:00 PM EDT
[#9]
"Insight Technology Inc. in Londonderry, NH received a $32.5 million indefinite-delivery/ indefinite-quantity contract for a minimum of 50 each Special Operations Peculiar Modification (SOPMOD) Visible Bright Light III (VBL III), and a maximum of 92,877 each production quantity of VBL III and associated data for the M4 Carbine in support of the United States Special Operations Command. Near as DID's research can gather, "VBL" is acronym-speak for "flashlight-like device that mounts to a gun". Insight Technology's M6X is one example, though not necessarily the subject of this contract."

I am sure there must be a newer design for the military, and less commercial friendly.

M6X is around $400 retail. Minus Govt. discount, it is too cheap to make a profit. The new gadget has to be listed at $700 or more in order for IT to charge Uncle Sam
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 1:02:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Them bastards wouldn't even sell their pos VLI to civilians
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 1:04:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Pffffft!

Now that they have a .mil contract it won't be long till the same people that bash them now are saying "Dude, get the Insight tech mod ?x, it's the best. why would you trust your life to something that doesn't have an NSN number?"

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 1:07:22 PM EDT
[#12]

"Dude, get the Insight tech mod ?x, it's the best. why would you trust your life to something that doesn't have an NSN number?"

Be prepared to hear it at AR15.COM!
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 7:14:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 12:56:28 PM EDT
[#14]
So Grant, care to elaborate what you think the reasons may be?  Clueless minds want to know!
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 2:03:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 7:24:24 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
So Grant, care to elaborate what you think the reasons may be?  Clueless minds want to know!

Really hard to say. It is my opinion, that the military has typically chosen poor lights and lasers to outfit the SOPMOD packages. I know for a fact that there is a lot of political BS that goes on inside SOCOM which only ends up screwing the operators.

C4

I can attest to that (being a contractor that deals with SOCOM).

Politics supercede performance on lots of hardware. Just because the military issues something, it does not mean it's the "best".

Link Posted: 10/1/2005 12:33:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 5:27:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Grant,

That still doesn't answer the question.  Does anyone know what product was ACTUALLY SELECTED???

Inquiring minds want to know,
MadDog
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:43:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Their LAM units are pretty nice.

The reason they are so expensive though is simply because they don't make that many.  It wouldnt suprise me to see ITI making something of that quality level or the military, on a much larger scale...possibly making it affordable for civies...

They have the ability to make very nice equipment
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:54:21 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Their LAM units are pretty nice.
They have the ability to make very nice equipment

That's right.
the Mk23 LAM, PAQ-4C & PEQ-2A...are all great IS products. (that I can personally vouch for).

They make some good stuff too.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:04:34 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really hard to say. It is my opinion, that the military has typically chosen poor lights and lasers to outfit the SOPMOD packages. I know for a fact that there is a lot of political BS that goes on inside SOCOM which only ends up screwing the operators.

C4

ill second that LE in my area performed several test on them before authorizing them for my LE agency Special response team did a dunk test gun and light go under water and immed. come out...........which a large portion of M3 then failed to activate after doing so...........(agency has a waterbourne LE responsibility) additionally my pers. experience is that after a mag or two of full power .40 the bulb croaks on ya at 18.00 a pop.........I did what many of the blue suited nija guys did in my agency.........buy an X200...................sorry to here that SOF are going to get stuck with that crap..................
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:14:59 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

C4

ill second that LE in my area performed several test on them before authorizing them for my LE agency Special response team did a dunk test gun and light go under water and immed. come out...........which a large portion of M3 then failed to activate after doing so...........(agency has a waterbourne LE responsibility) additionally my pers. experience is that after a mag or two of full power .40 the bulb croaks on ya at 18.00 a pop.........I did what many of the blue suited nija guys did in my agency.........buy an X200...................sorry to here that SOF are going to get stuck with that crap..................

Roger that,
Hopefully, they ruggedize the crap out of it. (or better yet, do a blank-sheet redesign)

My M-6X experience...
- Needed a laser module replaced (crapped-out on me).
- Needed the back plate replaced...cracked in-half on me..broke the bracket.
- I shot a bezel downrange (came off, with muzzle pressure).
- Lamp died
- Still doesn't keep it's zero after about 200 rounds.
- On a CZ-75, the muzzle-blast dislodges it from the frame after about 10 rounds.

It's just a poor design.

My $80 P22 laser (also by Insight)...performs better.

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top