Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/21/2005 11:34:08 PM EDT
I will be using a Gladius on my current deployment, the only thing I think it needs is possibly a red filter...ya know for that Army type stuff.

The bezel diameter of a Gladius is 1.25", will this work with a SF FM35 Red filter.  The diameter match up, but maybe there is some unforeseen reason why it would not work.

Ken I am sure you will have an answer for this one.

Matt

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:07:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 1:39:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I was under the impression the LED does not produce much red or IR light light so you will have very little light with a red filter.  Could you let us know how it works out for you?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:31:27 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I was under the impression the LED does not produce much red or IR light light so you will have very little light with a red filter.  Could you let us know how it works out for you?

I was a bit worried about this as well, but for Army stuff I do not need 80 Lumens of red light.  I will give a report when the filter shows up next week.

Matt
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:19:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't  know if I can take it....A SureFire Filter on a Gladius....

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:13:56 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

thats funny, you guys at nightops need to get your own flters out then ;)....   BTW Ken, is there at some point when you guys will release what your working on for your next flashlights?  Looking very forward to what you guys will be coming out with.

Quoted:

I was under the impression the LED does not produce much red or IR light light so you will have very little light with a red filter. Could you let us know how it works out for you?

i put a red filter on my led conversion minimag light flashlight and it really does cut down on overall output.... but i'm not too concerned since I just wanted it to cut down on glare for close up detail work.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:39:28 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

thats funny, you guys at nightops need to get your own flters out then ;)....   BTW Ken, is there at some point when you guys will release what your working on for your next flashlights?  Looking very forward to what you guys will be coming out with.

I second this, my Gladius would love to be wearing a Nite-ops filter...

Matt Carper
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:47:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Just get a little photon microlight or such and string it to your webgear / body armor.  There is no need for anything brighter or bigger.

I think you are overcomplicating things.  Keep your white light a white light.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:56:31 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Just get a little photon microlight or such and string it to your webgear / body armor.  There is no need for anything brighter or bigger.

how is it over complicating things not to mess with a whole differnet light?  Bringing batteries along with you for a seperate light... it seems much more easier to have a nice well made filter that he can attach it on his light when he needs to... rather than relying on a reducious excuse for a pocket light...  

yeah... if your you... you can enjoy going to walmart if your photon breaks/runs out of batteries....... he won't have that ability oversea's...
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 12:13:40 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

how is it over complicating things not to mess with a whole differnet light?  Bringing batteries along with you for a seperate light... it seems much more easier to have a nice well made filter that he can attach it on his light when he needs to... rather than relying on a reducious excuse for a pocket light...  

yeah... if your you... you can enjoy going to walmart if your photon breaks/runs out of batteries....... he won't have that ability oversea's...

???

Read my location.  I thnk I know a thing or two about what abilities he may have overseas.  That is beside the point, though.

Messing with a filter is complicated.  The only times I could foresee him needing a red light is when he is trying to maintian light discipline to quickly check a map or something - no need for a big light for that.  Mine as well keep it holstered.

Also, the Gladius can serve as a weaponslight as well.  I wouldn't want to lose my red light option once I mounted my main light.  

Also, the photon will be ALWAYS there.  I couldn't count the times I have quickly reached for the trusty thing to help ground guide a vehicle, etc.

The photon is smaller than the filter, and is a light source all its own - no need to pull it out and install it on a bigger light, or deal with a light fitting differently in a carrying case  - or not at all - while the filter is installed.  

If batteries concern you, buy several and have backups.  Also, the Inova version is available all over in theater.  Most of us wear on the top button hole of our DCU's, albeit a white light one.

If breaking is a concern, all the more reasons to have multiple light sources, and not have all your eggs in one basket.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 12:58:36 PM EDT
[#10]
The filter, if you noticed the Surefire filter flips up and out of the way when white light is needed, then flips down when in use, so it is always mounted on the light.  The best thing about the Gladius is the adjustable light level making it so with a red filter you can set a very low amount of output for extreme light discipline.

Jar3ds has a point about batteries.  I will have two Gladius lights, one on my weapon and one for my personal light, and a Stream light headlamp...all used CR123 batteries.  KISS when it comes to batteries, you should not have to bring 3 or 4 different kinds with you.

The photon lights I will admit are handy, but they do not hold up very well.  For the price yes they are disposable, but I am not out looking for disposable lights at the moment, I want one that will ALWAYS work...Gladius.

SGT Matthew Carper
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:16:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Filters, mounts, Gladius remote switch & of course more lights....We need to get off the dime!

Here is what I played with today.

New Straight-bodied Gladius with reversible Pocket-Clip.

Protos of the new 6-volt & 9-volt Incandescent Lights.
Okay...I will admit it...I am still carrying a SF 9P in my bag for a backup......Not anymore...

I am smiling from ear to ear.  These things are going to send another crack through the other guy’s foundation. I mean these things rock!

Vaughn Baker, Mark Warren and myself were in the back of our warehouse blinding each other….Then we were just standing there smiling from ear to ear!!!  These lights along with the Gladius represent a lot to us personally for a variety of reasons.

I can release all the specs/pics/price points/release dates shortly.

I have also seen some of the initial design concepts for our pistol light.....You WILL LIKE IT!  Those that I have shown it too are nodding their head up and down vigorously.

We also have smaller LED lights in process.

Sorry for the excessive enthusiasm, but in this case, I had a great week training and to end it by seeing some concepts materialize in the real world just made my day even sweeter.

Life can be good!

Respectfully,

Ken J. Good
Night-Ops Illumination Tools
Strategos International

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:30:57 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Filters, mounts, Gladius remote switch & of course more lights....We need to get off the dime!

Here is what I played with today.

New Straight-bodied Gladius with reversible Pocket-Clip.

Protos of the new 6-volt & 9-volt Incandescent Lights.
Okay...I will admit it...I am still carrying a SF 9P in my bag for a backup......Not anymore...

I am smiling from ear to ear.  These things are going to send another crack through the other guy’s foundation. I mean these things rock!

Vaughn Baker, Mark Warren and myself were in the back of our warehouse blinding each other….Then we were just standing there smiling from ear to ear!!!  These lights along with the Gladius represent a lot to us personally for a variety of reasons.

Anyway the lights themselves are very bright (90 lumens for the 6-volt, and 125 lumens for the 9-volt version),  standard shock-isolated lamp assembly for weapons mounted applications, beautiful beam quality and throw, follow the Gladius body form and feel, the light canconverted from the anti-roll flanges to straight-bodied because the anti-roll flange has been intergrated in a new way, Type III HA, shock-isolated glass ULC glass, gold plated contacts, battery retention internal design, excellent feel/pressure 2-stage clickie switch, a removable pocket-clip.

We have the name & tentative price points.  I cannot disclose that or the release dates yet.....I am biting my tongue though.  I will inform & post pics when I can.

I have also seen some of the initial design concepts for our pistol light.....You WILL LIKE IT!  Those that I have shown it too are nodding their head up and down vigorously.

We also have smaller LED lights in process.

Sorry for the excessive enthusiasm, but in this case, I had a great week training and to end it by seeing some concepts materialize in the real world just made my day even sweeter.

Life can be good!

Respectfully,

Ken J. Good
Night-Ops Illumination Tools
Strategos International

Think you can get someone to drive a few prototypes down to Texas? We're waiting from Rita, and my Gladius is being ganged up on by Surefires

BTW, any plans on relasing your own line of batteries at a low-price?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:46:43 PM EDT
[#13]
We are going to do a battery, but the price point will not be as competive as the other guys at this point.  We are working to get that down.  That being said, they will be of the highest quality (not cheap overseas variants that are flooding the market) & many dealers have indicated they will buy from us anyway because they are sick of the alternative....

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:41:23 PM EDT
[#14]
When you say smaller lights are you talking 1 123 cell lights or AAA Arc Light type lights.  I have an ARC I have beat up and was about to get another and throw the old one in the backpack.  How far out are these?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:06:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Initially going to do CR123A smaller LED lights.  Time frame:  I will try and get something to you in a few days.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:52:42 PM EDT
[#16]
x
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 6:47:31 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Initially going to do CR123A smaller LED lights.  Time frame:  I will try and get something to you in a few days.

very intested in single 123 led version , keep us posted!

we need some good HDS competition!  
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top