Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/21/2005 4:18:46 PM EDT
I had mine (OTAL) sighted in at 100 meters, but I wanted to see where other people had their's ranged?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:53:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:02:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Got mine at 30m, which is close 25yards.   Personally, I see the laser as a short range aid, hence the zero at 30m.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 3:23:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 3:08:14 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Got mine at 30m, which is close 25yards.   Personally, I see the laser as a short range aid, hence the zero at 30m.

Agree.

C4

I think it's even a shorter range aid than that. I sight mine in at 7 meters which is the longest distance from wall to wall in my home. I need to know that I can hit a head shot in a hostage situation if needed. Because any laser is not going to be "True to Bore", there will be some "Hold Off" compromise either Horizontal, Vertical, or both as the distance increases. If I zero at 25 yards, I find that the "Hold" for a head shot at 7 yards is somewhere in the "Chin Zone" and I don't want to have to think about that type of "Hold Off" when the bullets are about ready to fly.

Just my .02 cents worth.

BTW Grant....I'm starting to get the itch for either an OTAL or ITAL with the LaRue mount. God help me!

Tack
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 3:14:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:59:12 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Agree.

C4

I think it's even a shorter range aid than that. I sight mine in at 7 meters which is the longest distance from wall to wall in my home. I need to know that I can hit a head shot in a hostage situation if needed. Because any laser is not going to be "True to Bore", there will be some "Hold Off" compromise either Horizontal, Vertical, or both as the distance increases. If I zero at 25 yards, I find that the "Hold" for a head shot at 7 yards is somewhere in the "Chin Zone" and I don't want to have to think about that type of "Hold Off" when the bullets are about ready to fly.

Just my .02 cents worth.

BTW Grant....I'm starting to get the itch for either an OTAL or ITAL with the LaRue mount. God help me!

Tack

I sighted the 12Ga shotgun to 7ish meters range.   I do not plan to engage anything with the rifle (AR10) inside my house.   Overkill, and not so effective as the shotgun.  My 2c.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:33:55 PM EDT
[#7]
The army says that if your IR laser is off set one inch to the side and up one inch, that point of impact should be the one inch to the side of the dot, and one inch down.

They even make a zero target that has the points of aim/impact for various lasers mounted in various positions.  At any range, in any condition, it will always be the same.  Granted, with Milspec IR lasers they will be engaging targets at ranges exceeding 30 meters.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:58:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I kind of do the same thing as the miltary target. I like to have the laser zero'ed for about 6 yards, because the main reason i have it is for "in the house" scenarios. However, as this zeroing sucks for outdoor use, i had to seek a quick return to my 6 yard zero. Adjusting for outdoor use is easy, line up your laser with your red dot sight at whatever distance you want, and have fun. When your ready to put it away for the night, you step off your seven yards, line the red dot up with one dot on the target, and the laser with the other dot, and your done, no shots needed. Everyone's target will look different depending on what laser you are running and where it's at, but it's a quick, ammo saving technique that works everytime. I keep my target behind the foam in my gun case.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top