Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2005 3:09:09 PM EDT
I need to shorten the wire from my laser sight to its pressure pad switch. I'm fairly certain I could do this, as I'm pretty good w/ soldering etc, but want to run it by others who have done it. Does the cord consist simply of two wires, one going to each side of the pad switch? If its that simple, I could just cut out the wire I don't want, solder the wires back together, and secure it with heat shrink.

If anyone can agree or disagree, or offer a better way, please do so!

thanks!!
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 3:15:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I would be extremely cautious of doing this. I would need to be extremely confident in my abilities to re-create the connection in a reliable & abuse resistant form.

Have you tried contacting the manufacturer to see whether they have shorter leads?
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:03:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I wouldn't recommend cutting t, Brightflashlights sells one that is pretty short for about $25, that might be a better route.  Plus you could always sell the one you have now in the EE to help pay for the new one.

Brightflashlights is in the Industry forum
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 2:17:08 PM EDT
[#3]
The Insight pad cable (PEQ/PAQ) contains one solid wire in a plastic sheath surrounded by a wire mesh sleeve, then incased in a rubber tube.

I guess you could splice the the curcuit easy enough.The rubber "boot" on the plug slides off with a bit of effort (It's just held on with silicone). You could easily hide the splice under it.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:52:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I did it on mine.   Shortened the coil cable and made it about 6" long.

Cut the cable
Unsoldered the leads going to the pressure pad
then soldered the new short lead on the pad.

Simple if you know what you are doing.
I used some heat shrink on the connection and it works just fine.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 3:15:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Not to get off subject...(well Sort of)

I shortened the pressure pad on my LDI Tape Switch. The key in any of these is getting the connection back to "Ruggedized" and "Water Proof". Heat Shrink tubing works for water, but you need to really know your stuff about soldering to have a connection that won't break under stress.

I agree that ultimately, you should try to buy a shorter switch.

Tack
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top