Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2005 2:13:08 PM EDT
I'm looking for a light to mount on my AR-15.  Here are the requirements.

Shockproof - obviously.
Takes AA batteries.
1" in diameter to take generic mounts, or comes with a mount for it.
LED (for runtime)

Besides the TacStar T3 LED, what is there out there?
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 2:44:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Noone in their right mind would handicap a weapon light with AA batteries.  Market is too small because noone wants them.  Why would you want AA batteries instead of 123?  Your output is gonna be in the 30 lumen range... to small for a weapon light.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 2:59:25 PM EDT
[#2]
On the contrary, 30 lumens is perfect if you JUST want to light up a room, not blind a person.  30 lumens of dull light will light a room up enough to identify a target, sure it won't blind them as much as 65 lumens, but it'll light the room up just the same.  The reason I want a AA weaponlight is for battery availability.

The above comments reflect my personal experience, your mileage may vary, everyone's eyes and low light vision is different.  In my experience 30 lumens is not only enough, it's plenty more than enough for the desired purpose of ONLY lighting up a room to identify targets and navigate.  I am no longer military, as such I no longer need military grade gear, as cool as it may be.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 4:12:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:51:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Looks like the TacStar T3 LED or Elektro Lumens XM-3 is for me then.  Thanks for the replies, it's too bad this is such an untapped resource.  In the event of an emergency (such as Katrina), if it were to last a bit longer, months maybe, and be nation wide, CR123A batteries may be very hard to come by eventually, AA however will be everywhere.  I'm building one weapon for worst case scenario end of the world and so on and so forth, so I want it to take the common everything.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:25:45 AM EDT
[#5]
123 batteries can be had for 12/$15.00 and they are readily available.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 10:02:07 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
123 batteries can be had for 12/$15.00 and they are readily available.

Right now, yeah.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 3:34:46 PM EDT
[#7]
So stock up on 123 batteries and get a Pila rechargable and solar charger.  You planning on staying the disaster zone for months on end?  A single $18 box of Surefire batts would last you for all of Katrina for weapon light use.  Get 5 boxes for under $100 to store.  Now your set up for a multi month campaign in a foreign country.  Better idea than counting on scrounging AAs from the already raided Walmart.  You can get 2x123 3W weapon lights from Pentagon for not too much, or for your wide angle desires there are a TON of 5W LEDs.  I am sure you will find what you want for under $100 if you go with 123 batts.

Keep in mind weapon lights are in a very special nich category and dont get used like a regular flash light.  1 hour of run time with 2 batts means days of use.  The Pila rechargable and solar makes WAY more sense than going to AA for prolonged SHTF scenarios.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:37:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:50:22 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
So stock up on 123 batteries and get a Pila rechargable and solar charger.  You planning on staying the disaster zone for months on end?  A single $18 box of Surefire batts would last you for all of Katrina for weapon light use.  Get 5 boxes for under $100 to store.  Now your set up for a multi month campaign in a foreign country.  Better idea than counting on scrounging AAs from the already raided Walmart.  You can get 2x123 3W weapon lights from Pentagon for not too much, or for your wide angle desires there are a TON of 5W LEDs.  I am sure you will find what you want for under $100 if you go with 123 batts.

Keep in mind weapon lights are in a very special nich category and dont get used like a regular flash light.  1 hour of run time with 2 batts means days of use.  The Pila rechargable and solar makes WAY more sense than going to AA for prolonged SHTF scenarios.

Now pila batteries with the solar charger DOES sound quite interesting.  Got links?  Other than that, maybe I'm the only one that prepares for a permanent disaster, but that's what I'm looking at, and WalMart may be raided, but I'd be willing to bet you could still find AAs somewhere.  I will look into the pila solar recharger, if you find a link before I do let me know please.  I'd LOVE to be able to use my SureFires as my permanent SHTF lights.  But if I can't find a common source or solar charger it's likely I'll be using the AA (ElektroLumens XM-3 probably, TacStar T3 LED if not), those I can find solar chargers for (already looking).
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:04:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Pila is the battery brand name and youd get a seperate solar charger.  Pila is not the name of the solar charger.  I am gonna be out for the night and cant look for links but you can do some looking on candlepowerforums.com and see which lights fit the Pila nad which do not.  They are ever so slightly larger than regualr 123s in diamter.  The $18 for Surefire batts was delivered.  I buy em at $15 or other brands at about $1 each.

Also ask questions in the survival forum of this site in the general section.  Lots of Pila users there too.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:10:08 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm aware that Pila is a light, I was actually just clued into the Pila conversions for SureFire lights, very cool.  So what kind of charger do I need to charge the Pila batteries?
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top