Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2005 1:02:03 PM EDT
Does anyone have experience with the pressure tape switch from the OTAL and the Tango Down VFG with the removable channel in the side?  It appears to be a nice place to tuck it in neatly, but I want to know if it will fit before I purchase the grip.  From the pictures the tape switch supplied almost looks a tad bit too long.

Thanks!

GoGo
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:51:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:42:04 AM EDT
[#2]
I had the same problem with my OTAL switch.

So, I made a slip-in 1/16" plastic insert with velcro attached...now, I can attach anything with a Velcro backing. (and keep it store inside the grip w/ not in use)

Just use the stock insert as a template, cut out the shape & bevel the edges...

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:46:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 4:39:32 PM EDT
[#4]
very nice I need one of those, what would you charge for one
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:27:50 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
very nice I need one of those, what would you charge for one

Grant's the sales guy...

They're easy to make...Really.

Should I post instructions?
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 4:11:37 AM EDT
[#6]
I have the OTAL I just need the plastic insert piece.  post the instructions
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 4:30:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Very impressive and professional looking.  I would appreciate the instructions as well.

Thank you,

GoGo
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:07:12 AM EDT
[#8]
OK, here you go....

Materials needed:
- 1/16" sheet styrene (Available at most good hobby/model shops) It's usually white, but can be found in black
- Emory board (like what the wife uses for her nails)
- Velcro
- Epoxy
- XActo/hobby knife
- Steel ruler
- Pencil

With your pencil, trace the shape of the piece that slides out, onto the styrene.

Carefully, and deeply, Score the styrene along your pencil line.

Bend and snap the styrene along the score. (like cutting drywall)

Working slowly, clean up the broken-edge and apply a bevel with the emory board. The piece that come with the grip is a good guide for the bevel. (don't remove to much material from the non-bevel side). Try to match the outer shape of the original pice exactly (for a good fit).

Fit the piece into the grip, keep sanding the bevel/size to fit correctly. I added a little radius at the end of mine...to look cool.

Cut a piece of Velcro that fits the grip cavity.

Epoxy the Velcro in-place.

Paint, or dye (like I did) the styrene....and you're done!

MF

Link Posted: 9/25/2005 12:38:09 PM EDT
[#9]
My Tango Down VFG is coming this week and I'm going to give this a try.  One thing I am going to do a bit different is use black Delrin to skip the dying process.  The black Delrin can be found purchased from www.mcmaster.com.  I hope my results look as good as yours!
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 2:52:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Just a suggestion...

I would put a couple of "Zip Bands" (Bicycle Tire Inner Tubes) around the pressure pad after attaching it to the velcro to keep it there if catches on something. My LDI Presure Pad fits inside my TD Grip (because I shortened it, per instructions from LDI), but I still use 2 Zip Bands just in case.

Tack
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:38:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Tack, COuld you post the instructions you got from LDI to shorten the pad switch?

Sua Sponte,
Prib
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 7:03:57 AM EDT
[#12]
tagged
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:40:41 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Tack, COuld you post the instructions you got from LDI to shorten the pad switch?

Sua Sponte,
Prib

Got them verbally. Would suggest that you give them a call and get it from the "horses mouth" so that i don't make a mistake and mislead you.

That being said...

You want to first use a razor blade to cut down the side and bottom edges of the tape switch heat shrink tubing to expose the switch. You are doing this so you have tubing on the bottom and side to close around the switch after you cut it. roll back the top and bottom flaps of the tubing.

Then, just trim the internal pad with a pair of scissors to the length you want.

Then, heat up the tubing with a lighter or heat gun, and squeeze the tubing shut so that it seals around the internal switch.

Finish by trimming the tubing to the correct dimensions to blend with the rest of the tubing that has not been cut.

That's pretty much it, but again...have the Techy's at LDI talk you through it.

Tack
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:18:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks. Sounds like pretty straight forward to me though.

Sua Sponte,
Prib
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 9:42:59 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I had the same problem with my OTAL switch.

So, I made a slip-in 1/16" plastic insert with velcro attached...now, I can attach anything with a Velcro backing. (and keep it store inside the grip w/ not in use)

Just use the stock insert as a template, cut out the shape & bevel the edges...

i2.photobucket.com/albums/y44/mfingar/1.jpg
i2.photobucket.com/albums/y44/mfingar/2.jpg
i2.photobucket.com/albums/y44/mfingar/3.jpg
i2.photobucket.com/albums/y44/mfingar/P9011021.jpg

holy shit!
Great job!
I'm gonna do that!
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:27:25 PM EDT
[#16]
I tried the cutting down of the pad, it worked great. thanks for the info.  Also, people might want to try and use an old credit card cut to the proper size as suggested in one of the earlier posts. A credit card, cut to the same outline as the silde out piece. It woks perfectly without having to bevel the edges. The end cap will keep it in place and it sides out easily enough when not in use.

Sua Sponte,
Prib  
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top