Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2005 6:35:12 AM EDT
Looking for a quck detachable light mount that is offset so that I use my thumb to operate the light when I grab the verticle foregrip and that it accepts a 1" diameter light.  I was thinking of the Larue but discovered that they only offer that if you have a Surefire light that attaches via screws directly to the light.

Also thought about the Viking Tactic but concerned that I read some reports that it hugs the rail so close that I may not be able to have a rail panel cover on at the same time.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:46:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Oscar.

I use a TDI mount for all my lights.  I've taken to mounting the lights on the 9:00 rail and activating the buttons with my thumb - note I am right handed if you are a southpaw put the light on the 3:00 rail.  The grip I use on my VFG is to cup the fingers around the VFG and have my thumb resting on the 9:00 rail (sticking straight up in the air).  Takes a little getting used to but makes for a more stabil hold (thanks to Pat R. and Tim L. over at 10-8 for recommending this trick).

When I was using a full fist grip on the VFG I still used the TDI mount.  Only I also added a YHM 3 slot angled dovetail mount on the 3:00 rail.  The YHM angled dovetail would be loctited in place, but the TDI allowed me to remove the light quickly and easily as needed.  The combination of the YHM & TDI mounts put the light in a perfect position for me to use my thumb when using a 'Choking-the-Chicken' hold on the VFG.

Hope this helps.

EditI got both these products from Brightflashlights.  My TDI mount works well with the plastic AND aluminum Surefires, also it's worked perfectly with the Elektrolumnes XM-3 and my Inova T-3.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:47:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Daniel Defense all day long.  Great mount and it'll hold one of the Surefires exactly where you want it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:01:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:02:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Oh, so we're posting pics now?

Ask Grant for special pricing on the Grey Surefire.

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:05:42 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

That is a heck of a nice looking mount.

I have a few questions on it.

Is the mounting screw captive?

How much does it weigh?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:19:38 AM EDT
[#7]
I always post this, but nobody ever listens...

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:22:47 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Pentagon light, Viking mount.

Interesting set up, SBCZILLA!!  Finally someone else who likes the light in the RIGHT POSITION!!

p.s.  Nice bed spread!
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:23:03 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/196/196030/folders/204150/1577642greylight.jpg

That is a heck of a nice looking mount.

thanks go to Daniel Defense and to Grant

I have a few questions on it.

ok

Is the mounting screw captive?

If you mean "will it come loose if you unscrew it all the way?" then yes it will and no it's not captive

How much does it weigh?[/quote
I have no idea.
Thanks!

You're welcome!
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:53:11 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Interesting set up, SBCZILLA!!  Finally someone else who likes the light in the RIGHT POSITION!!

p.s.  Nice bed spread!

Its a very good location for me as I can access the switch with my thumb eaisly with my left hand on the foreguard.

As for the bedspread, I cant take credit for that, as it was my EXs idea. Left up to me, I could manage with a cot and a space heater.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:36:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:07:23 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

p.s.  Nice bed spread!

Where were you when we had the discussion on the best light position??? I was all alone with my "11 and 1" position comments for a light. hinking.gif

C4

Im here now, bring on the opposition!!!!
Honestly though, Its all pretty new to me, it just seemd like a logical place to hang a lamp. Easy to access, not it the way of other accessories, if you are right handed, your left thumb is right there, ect.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:57:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Here is my latest addition.  Daniel defense mount and a gladius at 9 o clock.

BTW, thanks to Grant for light and the mount
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top