Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/7/2005 9:02:45 AM EDT
Gentlemen, have a MWS compatibility issue and I need some professional advice in a hurry.

Just got handed a M203 and was told to add it to my M4. Now I am currently riding a desk in HHC and don't have first pick on the toys, but I'm trying to find a way to make the M203 and the command-required leaf sight work with my PAQ-4C and still have room to hang a SureFire on the front end. Before the 203 came along I was going to go with a DD offset mount on the right side, and I don't even know if a DD will clear the side of the 203. With the tube in the way my original plan of working the light with the left thumb is out the window.

A GG&G sling swivel is going on the left forearm rail as the standard Colt M4 left-side barrel swivel often fouls the M203 bolt latch.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:21:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Go with the laser on the left side and the Surfire on the right.  

Couple questions and suggestions:

1.  Do you have the 4 position mount for the 203 or the old style mount?

2.  Do you have the actual leaf sight for the RAS?  Stay away from the Arms room fix of drilling a short rail cover and screwing the leaf sight to it.

3.  Do you have the 203 E1 short barrel?

While its expensive what you really need to get rid of optic/leaf sight issues is the AN/PSQ-18 M203 Day/Night Sight, NSN 1010-01-493-2953 The price is a staggering 1,311.06 bucks direct from Crane.

With that you could have an Aimpoint/ACOG and the Laser on the top, and a light on the left with no interfearance issues.  One other sugesstion is to go with a single point sling adaptor, or take the side sling swival off and go with the old triangualar "Paper Clip" looking m203 Sling adaptor.

Edited to add:  Feel free to PM me, as im no longer a member here and cant keep track of all the threads I post in.  
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:32:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Old style mount with the KAC QD.

Actual leaf sights, I think. I've never seen anything else anywhere in the 101st.

Full length barrel, nearly flush with the tip of the 14.5" barrel.

As for the 18, NFW. I was detailed out to 2/502 for five days and got to try one over there. It's like having a brick taped to one side of the tube. While I'm all for technology in some respects, I'll break the damn thing within five mounted patrols.

Laser on the left is a good idea, I can just put the swivel aft of it and keep my lucky CQB Solutions three-point. I don't like single-points, had one swing badly and damage the family jewels once. Or could do the light on the left, swivel behind it, and work the tailcap with the left hand thumb while still keeping the PAQ-4C where the CSM wants it.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:35:53 AM EDT
[#3]
leaf sight on top obviously. PAQ-4 on right side, sure-fire on left. Just use a 1" scope ring for the light and activate it with the thumb. This is how I and everyone else I know has their set up.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:57:14 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm still thinking about doing a DD offset to drop the light out of the way some, I'm sure I can finagle it to clear the M203 latch.

Thanks, guys.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:11:13 AM EDT
[#5]
You may want to look into getting one of the single point adapters that allows installation without taking the stock off. I noticed that left side mounting of optics was almost a no-go with a 3 point sling, or the attachment point had to moved back behind the optics.  Also you may want to get a PEQ-2 tape instead of the one that comes with the PAQ-4, it fits on the forward grip vice being square and require mounting to the rail.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:37:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Roger, have the PEQ-2A tape and a few spares, so that's easy. There's few good places to put the tape when you have the 203 versus the gangster grip though.

I've tried single-points, I just don't like the way the weapon hangs, so I think I'll just move the swivel aft of whatever rides the left side of the rails and keep my lucky three-point.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:42:13 PM EDT
[#7]

Just got handed a M203 and was told to add it to my M4.

I wish someone handed me a M203 and siad put it on your M4
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:12:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Go talk to your recruiter, I'm sure they can work something out
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:30:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Once I figure out how to post pictures, I will, but this will answer the how I did it.

Ingredients: 1 35 dollar black SF G2 Nitrolon, 1 50 dollar DD offset mount, 1 GG&G rail mount swivel. Last two items picked up at Lightfighter's retail store while on lunch break today.

Mount Nitrolon in DD mount for LEFT side use, rear of mount ring even with start of tailcap threads.

Mount DD mount to issue KAC rail, far enough back the M203 breech latch is accessible between the shaft of the light and the latch.

Mount GG&G swivel to L side rail aft of light, shorten the already in use CQB Solutions 3-point sling to accomodate shorter reach to swivel.

Very easy to work light with thumb of left hand while supporting weapon, very fast reload of M203 as the light doesn't block the latch, in fact the light-forearm gap helps guide the tumb right to it. Also no risk of swivel binding the latch as happens with the stock GI barrel-mounted side swivel.

A happy ending. Total assembly time, maybe 20 minutes.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:43:22 PM EDT
[#10]
send the pic to me and I will host it
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:51:39 AM EDT
[#11]
tag
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 4:31:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Will try to get those to you tonight as soon as I find the camera's download cable in the mess on my wife's desk.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 3:36:08 PM EDT
[#13]
E-mail out, awaiting target grid.h.gif
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:13:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Rogue, the e-mail was returned as undeliverable.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:40:21 AM EDT
[#15]
He's got the pics, so y'all should see them soon.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 3:28:43 PM EDT
[#16]

Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:55:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks, Rogue.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top