Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2005 5:10:24 AM EDT
I use the TangoDown vertical grip and just added the Surefire M962C

This has the switch with momentary click or constant-on settings.

Assuming a right-handed shooting position, with the light mounted on the left side of weapon:

Holding the V-grip, activate the switch by raising thumb (same side)

Or

By mounting the light on the right side, I can hold the vert grip and reach my left thumb under the HG and activate the switch

Using this method, the index finger can assume a 'pointing at the target' down the handguard position

Curious as to how others mount their Surefire's with the same tailcap?

Is their conventional wisdom on the "correct  position and activation?"

TIA
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:30:08 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
By mounting the light on the right side, I can hold the vert grip and reach my left thumb under the HG and activate the switch

Using this method, the index finger can assume a 'pointing at the target' down the handguard position

That is the best method for me since I refuse to buy a tape switch. I can illuminate the target without even changing my hand position on the TDVG.

Best of all, no accidental discharging of light to give away your position.

HS1
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:54:14 AM EDT
[#2]
I have my M962C on the right side as well in a LaRue mount made especially for that series of lights. I have tried many offset mounts, but they allfell short of perfect"Ergonomics" whenwanting tousemy weak thumb to hit the tail cap switch.

I also agree that a tape switch isaninvitation to a "White Light" AD (Accidental Discharge), and I have proven this in training over and over again.

This being said, I do have my Laser (mounteed at 12:00) on a tape switch on the TDVG, but am reconsidering that option as well in turn for mounting it at 6:00 on the rail and using my weak index finger 2nd knuckle to activate the tail cap switch from the TDVG. I used to have my MRP setup this way, but was "Lured" by the Tape Switch approach. (I think it wasfrom the Devil)

Tack
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:43:54 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I have my M962C on the right side as well in a LaRue mount made especially for that series of lights. I have tried many offset mounts, but they allfell short of perfect"Ergonomics" whenwanting tousemy weak thumb to hit the tail cap switch.

Tack

Thanks, HighStrung and Tack both

Curious about the other mounts, as mine is an ARMS lever set-up which positions the light at shooters 3 o'clock.

this makes the activation a slight reach. I would expect the 4 o'clock would be just right.

Is this the LaRue position? and are there other makers with a placement at this position (just lower than the 90 degree position)?

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:19:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I shoot right handed.
All mine are mounted at the 3"o clock with a vert grip.

Can't do 9 O' Clock 'cause the Surefire would be blocked by my 3 point slings.
Can't mount it at 6, 'cause the light is too big and won't fit right with a vert grip.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:44:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I usually mount mine to the right, using a tape switch, but am considering mounting it to the left, to allow me the option of using my thumb to activate the on/off switch. As to "premature illumination"; I find that by modifying my grip on the VFG, I do not activate the pressure pad--that requires a deliberate action. I also use the lockout and I am going to get an opaque or IR cover for my light, which is a 962SU07 (if memory serves).
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:54:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:04:05 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I have been running my SF weaponlight in the 10 position for a couple years now. It is the ideal position IMHO. The reason is that it is BAD to wrap your thumb around the VG (pull your shot). This setup forces you to use your thumb going down the left hand side of the barrel.

I also use the LaRue Tactical SureFire Replacement mount. This give me 4 positions so I can customize where I want it.

C4
www.GRTactical.com

www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Grant's%20weapons/Grant's%20weapon1.JPG

Interesting, C4

One thing I notice is that you position your VG very near the mag-well (maybe as far back as possible) which if I were to do, would not be such an awkward thumb-reach with a port-side mount.

It also seems the LaRue mount positions the light above 9 o'clock which further eases that actuation

I am going to move the grip first, and try that. If I need more.........expect a call re: the mount

thanks.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:08:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top