Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/25/2005 9:04:55 AM EDT
I'm curious.  What would a normal laser look like under night vision?  Would it be too bright or is the light local enough to only show the laser dot against whatever else you are seeing through the night vision?  I'm just curious because my EOTech isn't night vision compatible but I added a Streamlight.  I'm not really concerned with the visiblity of the laser, more if it is "toned down" enough not to blind you.

Thanks,
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 9:54:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 7:07:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I tried my OTAL with a PVS14, it was actually usable.  I didn't play with it long enough, after couple of seconds it had started to burn a dot on the PVS14 so I decided to spring for an IR laser instead.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 8:06:51 PM EDT
[#3]
There is no visible difference between an IR laser and a visible laser when viewed through NV that I have been able to discern.  If you picked up two handguns with crimson trace laser grips for example with one IR and one visible I don't think you could tell the difference through the NV, both will show a bright full beam under conditions with littel ambient light, such as outside the city limits in a rural area.

Where I've had the distraction is I often work with both eyes open (one eye covered with monocular) and it is then that when your non NV aided eye will pick up the visible laser and for me it becomes a problem.

ETA: I should have mentioned that regarding the toning down. If you hit an object too close to you with the IR it will bloom to an uncomfortable blinding level immediately. Experimenting with equipment is really important when it comes to NV and related items.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 1:01:42 AM EDT
[#4]
My visible OTAL and my PVS7 do not work well together.  The 'bloom' tends to completely obscure the target at 100m or less.  
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 2:23:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Hmmm, I wonder what the green lasers would be like?
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 2:37:38 PM EDT
[#6]
At one point WES GRANT (IIRC) was talking about having a visable laser made that had an adjustment so you could turn it down for NV.  Anybody know what came of that
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:47:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Well, we use ANVIS 9 night vision goggles when flying and I was told they are Gen 4. ( got 5 pair through US Gov.). We also have an IR laser designator on our FLIR unit. When activated you can see the entire laser beam and not just the reflected dot while viewing under NVG's. Now when a Crimson trace laser grip laser is activated I am only able to see the reflected dot and not the entire laser beam for some reason ( I only wear them and am not an expert).
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 2:58:43 AM EDT
[#8]
CTC laser on an M9 showed up just fine using issued NVG.

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:33:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Maybe I need to be on the other end of the laser like you are. From wearing the NVG's and looking out in the distance i can't see the beam. Now the IR beam I can see. I will have to try it again next time I work. Weird
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:57:32 AM EDT
[#10]
I could follow the laser out to about 300M so not sure what the prob is on your end.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:19:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Me either. The goggles are top of the line ANVIS 9 's. Like I said I will try it again and see what i come up with.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:45:55 AM EDT
[#12]
photo taken using PVS-14's
The dust in the air makes the laser stand out with the naked eye but I don't think that should be a factor with the NVG, could be though, maybe someone who knows the science can say...
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:15:54 PM EDT
[#13]
That may be it. I know you normally can't see the beam with naked unless you have some sort of medium in the air (dust, moisture etc.) I was using mine in the field next to our hangar which is all grass. Maybe one of the Mr. Wizards we have here can clarify this for us.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 1:58:55 PM EDT
[#14]
visible lasers are just at a higher wave length the human eye can see them. IR is to be covert.

night vision picks up a wide enough range so we can see in near total darkness (outside).  as far as tube damage goes,  any artificial light souce can damage a image tube given the right circumstances.

i have been using a visible laser on my supressed Walther P22 and it works fine with the pvs14. it's kind of a weak beam though. maybe the high end, high intensity visible lasers are too much light to work well.

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 2:12:35 PM EDT
[#15]
how's this for an IR laser?! it's a 85 milliwatt laser the beam goes from .5 deg out to 7 degs. so it can be pinpoint for aiming or a flood beam out to 1000 yards. they should start popping up soon.

Link Posted: 8/13/2005 4:37:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Ok you have my intrest.

Where can these be aquired??

And what would one cost??? Also how do you zero it? I dont see any adjustment knobs?

FREE

Quoted:
how's this for an IR laser?! it's a 85 milliwatt laser the beam goes from .5 deg out to 7 degs. so it can be pinpoint for aiming or a flood beam out to 1000 yards. they should start popping up soon.

img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-9/827623/irlaser.JPG

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 4:04:51 PM EDT
[#17]
mr_h.... I am also interested.

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 4:11:59 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Ok you have my intrest.

And what would one cost??? Also how do you zero it? I dont see any adjustment knobs?

FREE

Quoted:

Actually the unit does NOT have a pinpoint dot as a typical laser does, it is not used for percise bullet aiming.  It is after all only a high-power illuminator to see your bullet impacts and targets of opportunity!  It has a 1.5 degree beam at the smallest focus and a 11 degree beam at the largest.  Thus, there has not been a need have any zero adjustments, the beam is always wide enough to illuminate a target from 20 meters out to 1000.  It  utilizes a steel ring with an adjustable windage setting though.  Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 4:41:30 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ok you have my intrest.

FREE

Quoted:

Actually the unit does NOT have a pinpoint dot as a typical laser does, it is not used for percise bullet aiming.  It is after all only a high-power illuminator to see your bullet impacts and targets of opportunity!  It has a .5 degree beam at the smallest focus and a 7 degree beam at the largest.  Thus, there has not been a need have any zero adjustments, the beam is always wide enough to illuminate a target from 20 meters out to 1000.  It  utilizes a steel ring with an adjustable windage setting though.  Hope this helps.

OK, so how much are they and where can they be bought from ?

Thanks,

Bob
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:06:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 3:52:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 5:08:42 AM EDT
[#22]
bemeyer if i recall correctly.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 9:21:47 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
bemeyer if i recall correctly.  

Clarify?  thx
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 11:55:12 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ok you have my intrest.

FREE

Quoted:

Actually the unit does NOT have a pinpoint dot as a typical laser does, it is not used for percise bullet aiming.  It is after all only a high-power illuminator to see your bullet impacts and targets of opportunity!  It has a 1.5 degree beam at the smallest focus and a 11 degree beam at the largest.  Thus, there has not been a need have any zero adjustments, the beam is always wide enough to illuminate a target from 20 meters out to 1000.  It  utilizes a steel ring with an adjustable windage setting though.  Hope this helps.

Here is a pic of a rock formation at 500M.  Thus far the TRUE effective range for this unit is looks to be around 600M.  The pic below was taken with a D-760 (6X) with NO moon at 7000ft elevation. An EXTREMELY dark night.  I am really impressed with the edge to edge sharpness of this illuminator.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 4:01:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Where did you get it?
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:28:07 PM EDT
[#26]
I emailed you Ink!
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 4:58:12 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I emailed you Ink!

Try my ARFDC IM account.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top