Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/11/2005 5:53:55 PM EDT
If you increase from say 65 to 105 or 120.   How much farther will it allow you to light up a target.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 6:23:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 6:57:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info.
I was testing the packedge I got from you today and it made me start thinking about something for a varmint rig.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 9:23:18 PM EDT
[#3]
You might want to think about a Turbo head if you want more range.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 4:26:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 5:51:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Okay really good answers.

My next question is subjective I know but any info is apreciated.

What is your opinion on the throw distance.

Between a G2 putting out 65 lumens and a surefire putting out 120 lumens with a turbo head" i dont know what model light this would require but i would want it to be weapons light"

I understand this would be perceived usability by the user but I know how far I can see with the g2 so I figure I can adjust the numbers accordingly"might get me close".

Thanks again
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 6:22:13 AM EDT
[#6]
The lumen is a measure of the amount of light flowing from a source - more thatn you want to know here:

hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/vision/lumpow.html#c3

In my experience, a 6v SF allows target ID out to 50 yds, a 9v out to almost a hundred, and a 9v turbohead close to 200 with an ACOG.  This assumes a target out in the open - trying to find a hidden or camoflaged target, somewhat less.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 6:56:46 AM EDT
[#7]
lumens to candelight power?
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 7:51:13 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
lumens to candelight power?

No direct conversion.  Lumens is the measure of the amount of light in total, candlepower is the highest iluminance at one single point.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 8:04:13 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
If you increase from say 65 to 105 or 120.   How much farther will it allow you to light up a target.

It will not double the range, though generally you can witness an approx. 20-30% increase in range with the P90 or P61 lamps over a P60.  The biggest differences with increased lumens are often the hotspot intensity & better, whiter flood.  Range often has to do more with the reflector format than the lumens rating.

I've found this to be right, as I have all of the lamps you mentioned.  I especially notice the slightly increased intensity of the main light area.  Seems like I get a bit more range with the p90 over the p60, but not as much as the difference is on paper.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 12:06:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top