Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/6/2005 7:10:29 PM EDT
Has anyone had a chance to look at or hold the new Aimpoint LPI? It's supposed to mount directly on an aimpoint unit.
Link Posted: 3/7/2005 6:56:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Never seen one except on the website. I would like to, as they look like a nice small unit.

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA
Link Posted: 5/7/2005 6:06:39 PM EDT
[#2]
any new news??

FREE
Link Posted: 5/8/2005 12:30:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Is it available to Civvies?

Dave
Link Posted: 5/8/2005 4:28:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/8/2005 4:55:00 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dave

NO IR laser built by a US company is available to a CIVY (unless your LE/Military).

C4

Why?
Link Posted: 5/8/2005 9:16:49 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dave

NO IR laser built by a US company is available to a CIVY (unless your LE/Military).

C4

Why?

The FDA of all agencies.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=20&t=235434
Link Posted: 5/8/2005 9:29:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/8/2005 10:10:25 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
FDA law.

C4

Is there an echo in here?
Link Posted: 5/8/2005 10:17:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/8/2005 2:39:25 PM EDT
[#10]
So IR lasers are legal to own by anyone, but they are only allowed to be sold to the military/ LEO

Oh well I have seen dumber laws, once upon a time there was a stupid law against pistol grips

So back to the original question whats the scoop on the Aimpoint IR?

Found it here www.wilsontactical.com/1_mainframe.htm?aimpoint.shtml~main

$1212 not to bad, I guess alot of the price is the Aimpoint name.

I saw a pic and it looks promising.

FREE
Link Posted: 5/8/2005 6:31:28 PM EDT
[#11]
I have heard that it's easy to modify a visible-beam laser to an IR beam.  Is this true?
Link Posted: 5/8/2005 6:35:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/8/2005 8:06:44 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I have heard that it's easy to modify a visible-beam laser to an IR beam.  Is this true?

Yes, its very easy....    Here is the insides of a LD MR2..  

I have a IR in my 2nd MR2 now... I have also upgraded the weak diode that came with my first MR2 to 10 mw.

no magic here,  the diode is easy to change and cheap to upgrade.

Link Posted: 5/8/2005 8:11:40 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

It would actually be true for a green laser (DPSS).  The way DPSS lasers work is to use an IR laser to pump another laser, using frequency doubling to achieve green from IR.

For <5mw green, the pump IR laser diode is somewhere in the 20-30 milliwatt range if I recall correctly.  Not very efficient but it gets the job done.

I wouldn't recommend converting a green laser to IR unless you really know what you're doing, and how to do it safely.  Infrared lasers are dangerous primarily because you don't see them, and the eye doesn't react with pupil constriciton, gaze aversion, and blink reflex.  

Jim
Link Posted: 5/9/2005 3:38:34 AM EDT
[#15]
I know that the FDA regulates IR lasers, but they don't ban them from civilian sales. Their issue is that since the beam is not visible, that a user could be damaging his or someone else's vision and not knowing it.

This is why Corsak lasers are legal to sell (as opposed to Buy, which is ok even on .mil/LEO units) now that they have a Visible Red LED to give away your position let you know the unit is in operation.

Dave
Link Posted: 5/9/2005 5:28:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/9/2005 6:13:34 AM EDT
[#17]
so where do i get an ir laser part to upgrade the(red) one i have
Link Posted: 5/9/2005 6:15:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/9/2005 6:16:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Not for me,   I actually had an issue with one of the knobs and they fixed it after warranty.

Something you have to learn about LD is that they are a strong company and want all of the customers to be happy.  

Most of the MR2’s I see on the used equipment exchange are out of warranty anyways.

They are still great lasers !
Link Posted: 5/9/2005 6:19:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/9/2005 6:23:41 AM EDT
[#21]
tagged.
Link Posted: 5/9/2005 6:26:47 AM EDT
[#22]
does ldi have a website?

i am really not that farmiliar with them, i have a red laser now, an old, really old off brand, took it apart, it is vert simple, as was the one pictured, i woukld like an ir laser, and if i could get the diode i might go ahead and machine my own housing for it....

Link Posted: 5/9/2005 6:43:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/9/2005 8:54:56 AM EDT
[#24]
thanks grant
Link Posted: 5/9/2005 10:43:58 AM EDT
[#25]
http://www.lasermate.com/diodes.htm
Link Posted: 5/9/2005 11:53:32 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

images5.theimagehosting.com/mr22.1.jpg

I have a IR in my 2nd MR2 now... I have also upgraded the weak diode that came with my first MR2 to 10 mw.

How about  some directions?
Link Posted: 5/9/2005 10:02:59 PM EDT
[#27]
I've been thinking about making an IR laser illumination device for my night vision scope.  
I thought it might provide a better illumination than the IR diodes included with the scopes.  
That is, longer range and a more uniform illumination.   Something like comparing a standard flashlight against a Surefire.   Any comments on that?   Am I being too optimistic?
Link Posted: 5/10/2005 2:37:59 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I've been thinking about making an IR laser illumination device for my night vision scope.  
I thought it might provide a better illumination than the IR diodes included with the scopes.  
That is, longer range and a more uniform illumination.   Something like comparing a standard flashlight against a Surefire.   Any comments on that?   Am I being too optimistic?

Did you see this?:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=20&t=235434
Link Posted: 5/10/2005 6:55:38 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Just buy one of these, it's all you need!

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=23&t=262113  
Link Posted: 5/10/2005 9:56:17 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

From which company are you buying the diodes for your MR2? Can you provide me with the part No.# please... and on your IR unit what kind of wave lenght did you choose?

ETA WOW... post number 100!!! and it just took me 21 months!!!
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 8:52:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Will LDI give you any guff about buying the IR diode while being a civvy?

Dave

Link Posted: 5/11/2005 8:54:56 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 9:07:57 AM EDT
[#33]
One company advertised that the FDA only controls IR laser devices and not the components.

Wouldn't it make sense to be able to buy the components and put them together after the sale?  
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 11:59:39 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 3:07:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Still, LDI won't sell to civilians the IR diodes that will fit in their devices as an aftersales retrofit?  
Link Posted: 5/13/2005 8:20:52 AM EDT
[#36]
I went as far as buying a laser and 3V power supply, but haven't come up with a houseing that is shock proof and adjustable. I've got a few ideas... and a buddy with a machine shop. Hm.... It wouldn't be illegal to sell IR laser kits, now would it..

Dave
Link Posted: 5/13/2005 9:28:30 AM EDT
[#37]
What about the ones made in Hong Kong  that I've seen on e-bay?  Anybody know anything about them?

Link Posted: 5/13/2005 10:46:58 AM EDT
[#38]
i have a red laser that i would want to upgrade to an ir unit, but i cannot make sense of all the part numbers and specs on the laser diode page....

i have mine apart but i need a size chart to fnd a good fit to my housing....
Link Posted: 5/13/2005 6:53:14 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
What about the ones made in Hong Kong  that I've seen on e-bay?  Anybody know anything about them?

Yeah, I saw that too and am curious
1. Whether this guy is a ripoff
2. Whether it's legal to import this stuff into the U.S.
3. What the quality is of these items.
Link Posted: 5/14/2005 12:18:48 PM EDT
[#40]
I'm confused by the nomenclature.   For me a laser and a diode (LED) are two different things and the lights emited by each device are two different "beasts".   Lasers produce coherent light whereas LED produce std light.  

However, I see folks here referring to both as the same thing.  I was under the impression that IR lasers were one thing and IR diodes (LED) were different.

Are they the same or not?   Please help a confused guy...  

Link Posted: 5/14/2005 3:12:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Diodes can either be a color (red, yellow, blue, etc), or a specific frequency of coherent light (as in laser).  They are available in the aftermarket as either a laser diode or a module.  A module includes a power supply, and is ready to hook up to batteries.  I laser diode is just that, a diode.  If you are not careful, you will let the smoke out, and it won't work any more (laser diodes are very static sensitive).  You specify the frequency of light you wish your laser to emit.  Infrared is from about  800nm (nano meters) and up to I'm not sure where.  Most commericial IR aiming lasers are 800 to 850 nm, and run about 5 mw (as in milliwatts) out put, but many put out a lot more than that.

The Terminators AMT longslide Hardballer had a tube laser on it; that's why it went down the length of the slide and took an external power supply.  All the new stuff is laser diode.

Green lasers are funky, they have to do funny things to make green light.  Wave interference, phase cancellation something something.... apparently they are not real green laser diodes, but a combination of diodes and they generate a lot of heat.  Why green, you ask?  Green is a part of the spectrum that our eyes see particularly well, so a laser of a given power that is green will appear brighter than a laser of the same power in a different color.

So there.
Link Posted: 5/14/2005 8:12:31 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=20&t=236002
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 8:10:00 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, I saw that too and am curious
1. Whether this guy is a ripoff
2. Whether it's legal to import this stuff into the U.S.
3. What the quality is of these items.

I have used the Hong Kong knock off DBAL .The IR laser works well, BUT the unit WILL not hold zero!
Link Posted: 5/27/2005 9:45:18 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you just change the diode or is a complete module required?

Anyone found the part number to retrofit an OTAL to IR?
Link Posted: 5/29/2005 10:17:45 AM EDT
[#45]
That's Great! Where are you getting the diodes? If I knew where to get the diodes, I'd snap one of the MR2's that is being sold on the EE....

Dave

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you just change the diode or is a complete module required?

Anyone found the part number to retrofit an OTAL to IR?

Link Posted: 5/30/2005 3:47:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 5/30/2005 10:55:36 PM EDT
[#47]
all I'm hearing is crickets....
Link Posted: 5/31/2005 12:44:42 AM EDT
[#48]
I've got  to tag this for later because I'm thinking of building one out of a LDI OTAL in the future
Link Posted: 5/31/2005 7:11:48 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
I've got  to tag this for later because I'm thinking of building one out of a LDI OTAL in the future

The OTAL looks like a tougher one to crack... I'd hate to mess one up.  
Link Posted: 5/31/2005 7:47:45 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You will also void your warranty with LDI for doing such things.

C4

If he knows how to do "such things" he's probably not going to have to worry about the warranty.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top