Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2005 2:26:19 AM EDT
I'm torn between the PVS14 and a similar Gen III unit.     Both items are at least 64/lp, but the other unit doesn't have the variable gain feature.    Never having used either one, how important is that feature?

Price difference is about 1200 bucks (PVS14 is new, other unit is some used parts, new tube).  

Link Posted: 1/6/2005 6:39:31 AM EDT
[#1]
The usefulness of variable gain? What kind of environment are you going to be using it in? If your goal is to reduce the blooming effect around streetlights in an urban environment the variable gain will not help with that. The bloom will remain and everything else will get dark making the image actually worse. The two times I can think that variable gain is a good thing is on a fully moonlight night, out in the middle of no where and you are looking out over sand or snow. Then it is nice to crank the gain down but otherwise it is not that big of a help. The PVS 14 has a high light sensor that dims the gain if you are suddenly exposed to a bright light.  

Hope that helps

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 12:28:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I use the variable gain on mine quite frequently. It comes into play when I'm using it on optics like the ACOG or similar.  I've also gotten used to having the feature there for general use as well.

I myself wouldn't want a unit without it after using the one I own and ones owned by local LE departments.

On the other hand I have a friend that has a 6015 without the variable gain. The only difference in the units he has and mine are that feature and he never misses it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 1:22:26 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I use the variable gain on mine quite frequently. It comes into play when I'm using it on optics like the ACOG or similar.  I've also gotten used to having the feature there for general use as well.

I myself wouldn't want a unit without it after using the one I own and ones owned by local LE departments.

On the other hand I have a friend that has a 6015 without the variable gain. The only difference in the units he has and mine are that feature and he never misses it.

Yeah I use mine constantly as well, just walking around in the woods if I feel like it being a little brighter up it goes, less bright down it goes.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 11:45:15 AM EDT
[#4]
$1,200.00 bones is a BIG difference....I thought there was only a $500.00 diff or so??  

Eitherway, the other nice feature of the variable gain (some other person touched on it) is you can turn down the gain on fixed illuminated reticules, such as an ACOG NSN, and some non NV setting Aimpoints out there.  As for the urban environment, the variable gain does help me look into shadows a bit better.  

So I guess the jest of it is, it depends where the unit will be deployed, but I would check that price difference you indicated, it seems VERY high.  

Vic
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 10:49:29 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
$1,200.00 bones is a BIG difference....I thought there was only a $500.00 diff or so??  

Eitherway, the other nice feature of the variable gain (some other person touched on it) is you can turn down the gain on fixed illuminated reticules, such as an ACOG NSN, and some non NV setting Aimpoints out there.  As for the urban environment, the variable gain does help me look into shadows a bit better.  

So I guess the jest of it is, it depends where the unit will be deployed, but I would check that price difference you indicated, it seems VERY high.  

Vic

The big price differance is a NEW PVS 14 vs a USED 6015 that is why.

IPSC_GUY
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 4:44:27 AM EDT
[#6]
email coming at ya KravMaga.

i like the vairable gain feature for the mensioned reason of walking around under a full moon and even when its totally dark even more. when there is no light for your unaidded eye to use it helps equalize the balance.

scott
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top