Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/5/2005 1:36:32 PM EDT
In an IR laser? Here is the deal. I have been looking into IR conversions of existing visible lasers. Laser Devices seems to be the brand that will work best. Now I have discovered an Airsoft copy of the OTAL. Now before everyone throws up their hands and screams "AIRSOFT??? DON'T EVEN SAY THAT NAME HERE ON THIS BOARD ! ! !" hold your horses.
What my plans are to do is gut the thing and keep only the housing and the switch assembly in the back. The to source aimer grade IR diodes and build the necessary casing for the diode inside the housing. Also I would completely rebuild the adjustments as they currently have no detent for positive increments or anything to really hold the zero. I would also as an option make a plate that would allow either In line mounting or off-set mounting and I would replace the airsoft mount with a real ARMS 17S mount. Once that would be done I would then seal the thing as best I could but I doubt it would be completely waterproof. There are just to many holes in these things. I am going to take my real Laser Devices OTAL and get it X-rayed to see if they disassemble the same way so that maybe eventually I could do those as well. I am hesitant to start digging into a $450.00 laser.
So My question is what would “all ya’al” pay for a converted IR laser that started out as an Airsoft piece but was reworked into something sturdy and dependable? IS $650 a copy out of line? Opinions Please,

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 3:12:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Sure, you can count me in, as always, but I'd like a PAQ4 housing if possible
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 4:39:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Me too.  Oh wait, I need NV  first...
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 4:45:34 PM EDT
[#3]
bsbg you can get both from IPSC_GUYS, one stop shopping, oh my
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 9:45:36 PM EDT
[#4]
The airsoft lasers I have seen have plastic housings, and everything on the housing is fake... just made to look like the real deal (which it does, from a distance).  So, to get a viable unit of good enough quality for social work, you will engineer it to the point that the fake box is a liability, not an asset.

I would think you would be better off starting from scratch, with a solid aluminum housing, than the airsoft deal.  Or, converting an existing product.

Also check into 21 CFR (as I recall), which is the regs the FDA uses to regulate manufactured items the emit infrared zoomies.  They want you to certify the manufactured product (get their approval) before selling any, and there are several hoops they'd like you to jump through.  Components are OK, but an end product has to be blessed.  By my understanding a 'conversion kit' would be OK, but a completed product would not.

I'm not so much a 'rules' guy, but it's good to know the ramifications of what you're doing.

~Doug
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 10:29:16 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The airsoft lasers I have seen have plastic housings, and everything on the housing is fake... just made to look like the real deal (which it does, from a distance).  So, to get a viable unit of good enough quality for social work, you will engineer it to the point that the fake box is a liability, not an asset.

I would think you would be better off starting from scratch, with a solid aluminum housing, than the airsoft deal.  Or, converting an existing product.

Also check into 21 CFR (as I recall), which is the regs the FDA uses to regulate manufactured items the emit infrared zoomies.  They want you to certify the manufactured product (get their approval) before selling any, and there are several hoops they'd like you to jump through.  Components are OK, but an end product has to be blessed.  By my understanding a 'conversion kit' would be OK, but a completed product would not.

I'm not so much a 'rules' guy, but it's good to know the ramifications of what you're doing.

~Doug

real PAQ4s have plastic bodies.........
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 1:07:44 AM EDT
[#6]
..all I'm saying is, some of the airsoft stuff is pretty cheesy.  Maybe there is some better stuff out there than this..
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 1:27:04 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I am going to take my real Laser Devices OTAL and get it X-rayed to see if they disassemble the same way so that maybe eventually I could do those as well.

You mean like this?
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 2:48:17 AM EDT
[#8]
ISPC_GUY, not to hijack the thread, but can you post some pics of the night vision modules you are building?
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 4:54:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 5:11:08 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
ISPC_GUY, not to hijack the thread, but can you post some pics of the night vision modules you are building?

As for night vision all I am doing is building AN PVS 14s that do not have variable gain in an attempt to get a less expensive unit out there that is still high quality.

The laser I am looking at is not plastic but aluminum, the lens is glass. What I don't think is weapons grade is the mount or the elevation and windage adjustments. These I will replace and rebuild with what I would bet my own ass on. I am going to do one just to see what it will take. Hopefully in addition I will hopefully gain some insight into what it will take to convert LD lasers as I think they are the best candidates. In my opinion I would take an IR OTAL over a PAQ 4 any day.

Eodinert that looks like an OTAL am I correct? Do you have a clearer shot of that? That is exactly what I need. It looks from you picture to be constructed in the same manner as this airsoft laser. Here are some pics of the laser I am looking at.

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA

Link Posted: 1/6/2005 8:22:47 AM EDT
[#11]
IPSC guy, yeah, that's my OTAL.

Sorry about the crappy Xrays.  I'll double check and make sure that's the best one I have.

You can see the screws securing the two halves, though (it's devided front/back, not top/bottom).  The screws are accessed through the potting on the back face, where the switch is.  I don't see 4 screws in the xrays, but as I'm sure you know there are 4 potted holes on the rear face.

Link Posted: 1/6/2005 8:41:18 AM EDT
[#12]
This is exactly how the airsoft laser is put together. Just out of curiosity, were you Xraying yours thinking to take it apart and maybe convert yours?

IPSC_GUY
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 9:22:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Yup.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 9:28:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Tag
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 11:30:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Taggage.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 2:21:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Hi Peter,

Could you im or emailing me with info on this project.  You've got my attention.

Thanks,

Michael
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 12:30:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Does anyone have a private police force to order the IR OTALs and then sell to us?  
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 2:52:21 PM EDT
[#18]
i 'm veery interested , anyupdates yet????

meat
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 5:31:39 PM EDT
[#19]
I have the airsoft unit torn apart and I am hunting for a suitable IR laser diode. The second problem is going to be putting good accurate "clicks" into the windage and elevation adjustments. I have an idea and it may work but the clicks are either going to be like 1/8th of an inch at 100 or 1 inch at 100 and I won't know till I get it done and try it. Once I get this one done I may get brave enough to dig into a Laser Devices unit.

IPSC_GUY
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 7:53:30 PM EDT
[#20]
If you can build something to MIL level quality.  I'd be in for it.  Don't know about the airsoft.  AN IR converted OTAL would hit the spot
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top