Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2004 9:23:04 AM EDT

From the 2004 Surefire Catalog, Page 53:

The M4 Devastator,a four-battery model with a standard one-inch body diameter,represents the epitome of modularity.Not only can the lamp assemblies,tailcap and bezel of this ferociously powerful light interchange with select MU System models, but also the very flashlight itself can transform itself into a weapon-mounted sniper light. Called the Leopard LightTM, the M4 Devastator can be ordered with a special set of figure-8 scope rings that allows the Devastator to be mounted to a rifle scope.The Leopard Light kit also contains a remote pressure switch that replaces the momentary tailcap switch.Of course both the tailcap and the pressure switch are interchangeable with other WeaponLights.The M4 Devastator produces 225 and 350 lumens with the standard and high-output lamps that come with it.

Does anyone have pics of the M4 being used as a weaponlight? Anyone seen one mounted on an M16 rail with 1 inch scope rings?
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 3:51:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I've seen photos of the M4 mounted on rifles [in LeopardLight type format].
If memory serves it was shown in an article in CombatTactics on low-light snipers.

Al
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 4:46:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 10:14:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Strange indeed.
I guess you could use the M98 where your weapon has enough rail to attach it?
The LeopardLight uses two scope rings to attach to a scope or perhaps other part.

Al
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 10:23:41 PM EDT
[#4]
The M4 is not really a weapon light.

The M95, 96 and 97 IMHO are much better choices.

There are always the Verticle foregrip series and the Forend series as well.

I have a M910 on my AR and love it.

Check out this site for the best prices, shipping and service on Surefire products on the net.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 9:31:22 AM EDT
[#5]
We teach a low-light precision rifle for Law Enforcement.  One of the concepts brought for is the need as a LAST resort to use a weapon mounted light to engage threats in a dynamic environment where you might not be able to adequately contol or direct the scene lighting in a time frame that is acceptable.

SF M4 ((with open filter) on my Armoment Technologies M24

SF M4 using SF's Mod M35 Male / M38 Female Mount
(Actually it's NYPD ESU trying to steal my light & Mounts

Couple other views of this type of setup
Note Rocker System ON/OFF lead as well as the Momentary Tape Switch

Older SF 12PM with the Arms setup, with a remote switch (not a good idea)

Knights Armament Co. – SureFire 9PT
Arms #22 with Arms Ring Reducers #37 – SureFire 12PM with Tape Switch
SureFire Front Sight Post AR15/M16– SureFire 12PM
SureFire Weaver – SureFire M1 Infrared Illuminator

Link Posted: 10/29/2004 3:59:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Ken,
Thanks for sharing your photos. I'm curious to know whether the 12PM vs the M4 have different numbers of lamp failures?

From my perspective (not using such tools for my job) I prefer the N62 500Lu/12min lamp in the 3" diameter TurboHead compared to the MN61 in the M4 because the beams from the ones I have are tighter.
Do you see any significant differences in practical applications?

Thanks

Al
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 5:43:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I have never noted any differences...There may be.

The no longer produced 3" heads have a really nice tight beam.   I used to carry nothing but 9PT with 3" heads.  

Then I went with an M3 & an M3T because I could swap out components easily with my weapons mounted lights.  

From a practical/tactical viewpoint, there is not a whole lot of difference and felt no real advantage/disadvantage either way.

Link Posted: 10/30/2004 3:09:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top