Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2004 10:13:27 PM EDT
Is the surefire m900a submersable or even waterproof? Seached long and hard and have found no definative answer. I would like to know though before I plop down the ridiculous amount of cash it takes to bring one of these home, lol. TIA
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 10:16:44 PM EDT
[#1]
No and no, as per the email I recieved  from SureFire. They said it would be just fine in the rain.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 10:26:26 PM EDT
[#2]
You would think for 500 bucks the damned thing would at least be waterproof. What a crock, lol. 10 cent orings must have put them over their profit margins huh? So in a SHTF situation, I better make sure I have a damned milspec ziplock bag to put the freaker in if I need to swim.

Did they elaborate at all on what isn't watertight? I would think the bezel area would be? Maybe?

Anyone want to dunk their in the tub for a few hours to see what happens before I buy one?
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 12:58:01 AM EDT
[#3]
It's the LEDs - they've been known to stay on and glow until the unit dries out.
Of course, SureFire supplies little caps that can be used.

Al
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:15:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes I did a test.

Yes they make a submersible one rated to 66ft.  Yes it costs more and is very hard to procure and I discussed a lot of this with Surefire before purchasing my light.

The only difference is the double Orings instead of single and the fact they are depth tested and passed the test.  Once you remove the batteries the certificate is voided and is no longer warrantied by Surefire.  Depth tested units are identical to standard Surefire M900 units.

You can submege a Surefire M900A with no issues as far as water leaking in the main compartment or having problems with the main light or switch gear as I have tested this myself.

HOWEVER...

The LEDs will imediately turn on at low power levels when you submerge the unit as water gets to the electronics that control them.  After about 30 min they are still glowing a bit dimmer than the cherry of a cig.  A couple hours later the water has evaporated and the LEDs will be off.  

Surefire knows of this issue and supplies little rubber boots to cover the LEDs because of this.  No amount of rain or fog will cause the LEDs to glow.  It must be submerged to casue the LEDs to activate.

It is not a dive light if thats what you want.  It will not leak and will work under water though and the LED lights will also work but never truely turn OFF under water nor for at least 2 hours after coming out of the water.

I hope this will educate you better than some hear say BS  usually repoted on this site.  Sure fire will not warranty water realated issues with the light.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 9:19:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the great replies. I feel a little better about this purchase now. I don't see myself ever submerging the light, but I just wanted to know that my 500 dollar purchase would not be ruined if I did pending an emegency. As long as it dries out and the main light still works, thats good enough for me. I also didn't want the thing to fry in the rain while coyote hunting, so that seems to be a non issue. Thanks again DevL.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 10:20:18 AM EDT
[#6]
DUDE THATS SOME TRUST TO STICK $600 LIGHT UNDER WATER. U got bigger balls then me lol. can u take a picture of it underwater so i can see how bright the leds are. thx
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 8:23:53 AM EDT
[#7]
I only paid $415 for it not $600.  I will try to get some pics at a friends house.  Its not that big a deal.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 12:51:40 PM EDT
[#8]
DevL: A very interesting and fascinating post. Thanks for that input I hadn't been exposed to the LED situtation before.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 11:49:34 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I only paid $415 for it not $600.  I will try to get some pics at a friends house.  Its not that big a deal.

It's still alot of change to dunk under water knowing that the warranty wouldn't cover something like that.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top