Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/8/2004 1:19:10 AM EDT
I am lookng into getting setting up a weapon light system, but I dont want to spend a whole lot of money.  I am thinking about getting one of the First Samco/Fobus surefire picitinny mounts, and either a surefire Z2 Combat light or a Surefire E2D Defender flashlight.  Will these lights work fine with that mount?

Can I use any surefire personal light such as those two I mentioned with this mount?  Any help would be appreciated.

Here is a link to the Surefire E2D execuative defender - http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_disp/displ/prrfnbr/1132/sesent/00

and here is a link to the Z2 Combat light - http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_disp/displ/prrfnbr/198/sesent/00

and here is a link to the mount I am referring to - http://www.firstsamco.com/catalog/productdetail.php?ID=4

Thank you for any help.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 1:21:00 AM EDT
[#1]
They may have a problem with recoil, hand held lights often fail, weaponlights have buffers to handle the recoil. I say may because some have worked long term. My buddy has a 6P on his M4gery, and it held up nicely.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:02:40 AM EDT
[#2]
A G2 and a cheapo 1" scope mount, works quite well, (use your finger or hand to activate the press switch on end).

Can be mounted on side (use your thumb) or on bottom (use knuckle of index finger).

Mike
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 6:23:41 AM EDT
[#3]
I would stay away from the FS2 mount.  I have consistently had problems with it allowing my SF G2 to move within the mount.  I'm going to pick up some inexepensive scope rings at Wal-Mart.  They seem to have a better grip on it by all reports.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 6:56:55 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
They may have a problem with recoil, hand held lights often fail, weaponlights have buffers to handle the recoil. I say may because some have worked long term. My buddy has a 6P on his M4gery, and it held up nicely.

Surefire makes an 'Anti-Shock' Bezel that you can retrofit onto your light.  Check out Brightflashlights in the Industry section, he usually has some good knowledge.  I know he was selling packages with G2's...
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 7:38:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 9:14:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Thank you all for the replies.

Looks like I will probably go with the Z2 and some 1" scope mounts, since I wont even have to buy the mounts, as I have 2 or 3 sets of weaver base 1" mounts lying around.

These anti-shock bezels for these flashlights, how much would they cost?  I am trying to keep the price as low as possible cause the Trijicon scope I bought for my AR was a pretty good chunk of money.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:12:48 PM EDT
[#7]
If saving money is an issue, you should really consider the G2.  It is by far the most reasonably priced surefire and still puts out plenty of light.  I have one in that FAS mount.  It seems pretty sturdy to me, but the rifle is not done so it hasnt actually been fired.  Like others said before, you can still upgrade the tailcap and bezel when and if you want to.  
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:50:11 AM EDT
[#8]
adair_usmc,

If you haven't already bought the First Samco forend, I'd highly recommend the Surefire M73. It is a little more expensive but light years ahead of the First Samco product (i.e., it's aluminum instead of plastic). It is as close to a FF forend for under $200 you'll get without having to remove your barrel (and it's tres easy to install)! You should be able to pick one up for ~$175.00 from some of the partners here on the board.

I will have a report on the E2d with Brighflashlight's mod'd mount early next week. The E2d is is the closest HH light to the Scout system out of the box, so we'll see how the light holds up. I think BFL's spacer may even help provide some shock isolation :)

Chris
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:04:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Avoid the M33's and M44's.  Trust me, been through that.

As for the light moving inside the fobus flashlight mount, put a small peice of electrical tape in there, and it will give you the tiny extra amount of grip needed to keep that sucker from moving.  I've done that on two setups so far with great results.

Scott
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:04:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Well since a lot of people have been saying the M33 and M44 handguards are sub-par, I am now actually considering one of those TDI-arms flashlight kits that mount to the front sight, and comes with a surefire G2.  Anyone used these.

The only thing I was planning on using the handguards for is mounting a flashlight, so maybe this will be the better way to go.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top