Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/26/2004 6:48:02 PM EDT
I know its not very tactical...but, what make the beam on some lasers easily visable? Aka, hollywood style (and pics ive seen)? Where can one acquire such an aiming device? http://www.specwarnet.com/taclink/customs_entry.jpg
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:05:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Laser light is the same as regular light, except that all the waves are kind of "aligned" (so they disperse only very slowly). Just like with a flashlight beam, you will only see the light when it hits something and reflects back to your eye. A visible laser beam will not naturally show up as a streak of light like this.

To get the effect in your photo, you can pass smoke through the beam - the scattered light will reach your eye and you will see the beam. In the case of this photo, I suspect someone used Photoshop to "enhance" the image. In regular tactical use, you will not see the beam itself... just the spot on the target.

Of course, many of the lasers used by the military are infrared, and thus invisible to the naked eye... you need NV to see them.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:06:26 PM EDT
[#2]
In a word ................. Dust
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:17:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Ha, ok thanks guys.  I wasnt sure if i should ask or not...cause well, its cool, but useless.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:30:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 1:53:44 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I know its not very tactical...but, what make the beam on some lasers easily visable? Aka, hollywood style (and pics ive seen)? Where can one acquire such an aiming device? www.specwarnet.com/taclink/customs_entry.jpg

If you are talking about the "beam" effect that you see in that picture then there are two possible answers: Particles of dust/debris in the air that is reflecting the light of the laser OR special effects (photo editing). Most lasers used on weapons are in the visible light spectrum (with the exception of many of those used in conjunction with night vision (IR)) and what you really see is just a dot on the target.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 10:58:07 AM EDT
[#6]
I carry lasers on my duty pistol and rifle. Most of the time people dont even know the dot is on them unless someone tells them. BUT it is one hell of a psychological deterrent once they know it. That lil red dot has deesculated several situations in the last year, one of which probably save his life. cause he saw the light as I was about to drop the hammer,(kind of funny though I was usingthe iron sights
for sight pic, while I knew the dot was there training took over and was using the irons) I do not think they are useless. In the photo there is smoke/dust and that will make them visible. I beleive that it has been retouched thouh. Wave length of the lasers will also effect it. I have heard that some of the green laser pointers will show up like the photo.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 11:51:22 AM EDT
[#7]
what makes the lasers visible in star wars?  there isn't always dust.  i could see them showing up on that sandy planet where the jawas live, but not in vacuums...

on a serious note, do us customs officers use augs?
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 6:14:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Augs + custom = Yes..especially in their air interdiction program. They are one of those ..wish I would of got one thiongs for me.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 7:46:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Poster before had it correct with "dust" .  Wavelength has nothing to do with it.  If  you can see it at all on target  then if you were to add dust or vapor then the whole "beam" would show up.  Same with IR or (night vision)  you can't see that with your naked eye and with NV you could only see the "beam" if there were dust or moisture in the air or something else to scatter the light.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top